• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: Cooldown mechanic

C me

Creator of Pokemon League Of Legends
Years
    • Seen Apr 9, 2021
    This is for Pokemon Emerald.

Basically to balance strong moves like hyper beam, those moves have a recharge turn where you can't use any moves. This forces the player to use these moves in a more tactical way like behind a substitute or something. As I am thinking of implementing new moves into my hack, some of them will be op and therefore would be unfair to spam every turn.

The 'recharge' effect would not be optimal for what I want to do though, what would seem more optimal is something similar to the disable feature.

I can't post links yet but im sure you know how it works.

The 'cooldown' mechanic would work like this: after a move has been used the next turn it cannot be used again but other moves can. Just like with disable there is a message box saying 'cooldown'which conveniently has the same number of letters as 'disabled' so no need to repoint. If the move is selected a message box will appear saying 'X is on cooldown', x being the move. Unlike the move disable, the number of turns the move would be disabled for isn't random but is preset somewhere in the ROM in a 'disable table' where each move would have a value for the number of turns to be disabled. Multiple moves can be disabled at the same time and if all the moves are disabled then struggle is used, although this would almost never happen because most moves will be disabled for less than 4 turns. This effect would also have to happen for the AI. If possible the disable timer wouldn't stop through status effects and a move will not be enabled after switching the pokemon out,i.e not a temporary status condition.

I know this will require ASM knowledge which I really don't have but I can work my way around a hex editor if that helps.

So I guess my question is how could this be implemented and how difficult is it to implement?

Thank You

Last edited:
    Back