• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Research: GBA - USB - USB - GBA

Years
    • Seen May 21, 2021
    So I've been thinking a lot about whether it would be possible to link two GBAs over the internet (With the aim of playing Pokémon online). How cool would it be to be able to connect a GBA to a phone or computer and play online? The first step would be getting two GBAs to connect locally over USB. This project hints at that possibility but I need to do more reading about USB specifications.
    Before I start investing my free time in this, does anyone know of any reasons why this would not be technically possible?

ipatix

Sound Expert
    Years
  • I just know that raw USB programming is A PAIN. You'd probably want something like an FTDI chip or so for hooking up hardware to your PC because they usually come with virtual COM port drivers which are very easy to write programs for.
    There is two main solutions you could use:
    - Simply sample the eletric signals at a very high rate over the internet (probably unstable and requires high data rates)
    - Interpret the link signals correctly and send some kind of data packages over the net. The protocols are described at the usual place:
    http://problemkaputt.de/gbatek.htm

In the end, you'd need basics about electrical engineering and if you got these, it's probably not that hard to make something like this.

Back