• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
Years
  • I'll head East with Feign. Pulls out crossbow...

Out of the 16 personality types indicated by the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, which type would any of your characters most likely be?
    Raphael: ESTJ

Sebastian: INTP. I kinda based Sebastian on me. Seriously, I have to get around to finishing that fic I'm writing...

Thanks Sol, your work is as always; appreciated. ;D
    Hope to see more soon. XD

To keep the BTI busy...
    Do you prefer to write on paper or keyboard(disregarding word processing software)? Likewise, do you prefer to read on the computer screen, or do you prefer to read on paper?

Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2023
    Do you prefer to write on paper or keyboard(disregarding word processing software)? Likewise, do you prefer to read on the computer screen, or do you prefer to read on paper?
    For me it's always been a mix of the two when it comes to writing. Depends on where I am really. I hate having to write things out twice so i would normally write on my keyboard into a document so I can easily do a spell check and upload. I often dont have the insperation at tha computer screen however, I tend to think of a lot more while I'm out, so I'd either end up forgetting or end up writing in on loose paper or even my hand or typing it into my phone.
    As for reading, during the day I dont mind the computer screen, however at night, when my eyes are tired and sensitive to light I much rather read a book or something along the lines. I read on the computer screen for poems and short stories however, things like novals really require to be read from a book.

Mika

もえじゃないも
    Years
    • Seen Feb 11, 2013

I have a severe vision disability so I'm very limited in what I can do with pen and paper anymore. I write all of my essays and stories for school on my laptop and it's simply because I can't even read my own handwriting anymore. As far as reading books, I love the smell of books so if I can, I want to read books in the read world and touch the soft pages but with my eyesight I can't always. ^^; I have a kindle so I can download books but I miss being able to read in some places you can't take electronics. u3u

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • Fiu, been a while.

I'd rather write on keyboard because I simply type faster than I could possibly write. But I do prefer to read on paper, especially because of the computer screen's brightness and such.

walasaka

Dark-type Trainer
    Years
  • It depends what for. If I'm on honest, a fanfic is something I'm far more likely to just type out on my laptop. However, essays for uni that are several thousand words long are best drafted on paper, in my opinion. I'm better at getting an essay structure on paper, dunno why.

Reading is always best done with a book, but I'll freely admit to having read a lot (of books and fanfics) staring at my screen like at a lightbulb. It's really not good for your eyes to sit there for hours, but, well, it's free. I love Christmas, always get good books, but I hardly ever buy them unless they're relevant to my studies.

New one:
    Do you think romance should always be an integral part of a fic?
    No, but then again it depends on the circumstances. I think that if it does occur (shipping, OC, whatever) it should take second place over the main plot. Unless it IS the plot, but then there should be some sort of story leading up to it.

D. Lawride

Audi Famam Illius, Scriptor!
    Years
  • Do you think romance should always be an integral part of a fic?

More or less. Let's say it gives color to the fic, no matter how black it is. It always fits in well and only contributes if it's well done depending on the story's style. A romance usually helps developing a story for both the characters and the storyline, so it's helpful in its own way.

Giratina ♀

what's your sign?
    Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2013

I prefer computer for both of those questions. It can be more easily edited and modified to fit the best version, ink won't bleed on Word or Notepad, and my handwriting is pretty difficult to read anyway. I like it for reading because of the aforementioned bad handwriting and also because computer fonts have a tendency to be easier to read than most people's handwriting anyway. One must also factor in that I am on the computer a lot and may be just used to it.

Truthfully, I have never used romance in my stories before and really don't intend to if only for the reasons that A. I would probably screw it up entirely and B. most romances I've seen or read seem forced at best and nauseating at worst.

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
  • Do you prefer to write on paper or keyboard(disregarding word processing software)? Likewise, do you prefer to read on the computer screen, or do you prefer to read on paper?
    Computer for both counts. Computer saves paper, avoids messy crossouts/whiteouts, and my handwriting resembles chicken scratch. Reading on a computer screen lets me read in the dark and I don't have to worry about losing pages.

Plus, I'm a fan of fuel-thirsty full-size cars. I gotta do something that actually HELPS the environment, and I might as well make that something be saving paper XD

Aside from some blushing (and Lisa drooling over some vintage cars), romance plays no role in my fic. I would probably botch it up horribly and, to be honest, I'm not a big fan of shipping and in journey fics, I'm always leery of male/female characters traveling together because some badly tacked on romance subplot (which seems out of place) usually follows.

Not enough for a true bolded topic, but how did romance between characters in fiction get to be known as "shipping?" I always thought that shipping involved the transport of goods, either by truck, train, or ships.

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • That was a relatively fast response. XD
    Actually, if it weren't for the fact that word processing software's help me catch my typos and such, and the fact that I hate rewriting things, I'd have to say paper. On paper, I can write and read faster.
    I have a couple of books, about 500 pages or so and I finished it in less than a day.
    And yet, I can't even finish HWIMAR just yet. XD

I'll get to it soon Citrinin, XD

Only in shipping fics. I don't hate shipping fics per-say but I hate it when they're done terribly. As for the question; no, not really. I don't really think that romance plays an integral part unless you want to use it for some kind of plot device or something. I don't really see the point with a fic filled with UST, when the fic itself is about war and or fighting.

Not enough for a true bolded topic, but how did romance between characters in fiction get to be known as "shipping?" I always thought that shipping involved the transport of goods, either by truck, train, or ships.
    I believe that shipping derives from the word, "relationship." I'm not sure though.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Dragon does not see Feign or MNZ. EOLS finds a LeSabre w/keys in ignition.

No. Nonononono. No.

Spoiler:

Romance is in no way shape or form necessary. It is too often included for the sole reason of having it, which is no reason at all. I typically only care for romance when it is the focus of the story and has major plot implications, or is included in a minor way for added realism (like showing that everyone in your fictional world is not, in fact, asexual).

Last edited:

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • I'm thinking of making a ranger fic, called. "Pokemon Ranger Flame." But how would I put romance inside it? Help.
    I don't encourage nor discourage romance so...

It depends on whether or not you have a female protagonist and a male protagonist. Try to figure out what kind of relationship they have. Keep it PG-13 or less because I hate lemons. >:(
    Then, try to outline a basic plot on how their relationship might progress tthroughout the story.

About, shipping, I agree with txty.
    Romance is in no way shape or form necessary. It is too often included for the sole reason of having it, which is no reason at all. I typically only care for romance when it is the focus of the story and has major plot implications, or is included in a minor way for added realism (like showing that everyone in your fictional world is not, in fact, asexual).
    It's not actually necessary, but it helps avoiding your fic being labelled as Yaoi or Yuri.

Bay

Years
  • I"m heading north with LeSabre. Dragons are too tough for us." D:

On writing, let's just say I'm glad my professors required for the essays to be typed. XD; My writing is chicken scratch. :P As for reading, paper. There were actually a couple of times I printed fanfiction because my eyes hurt after on computer for a while. XD If talking about textbooks, I would rather read the books so that I can highlight, write notes, and such (I is a nerd). :P

Not always. Depends if you want to develop the two characters' interaction with one another. I'm saying that because I'm actually okay with female/female and male/male relationships. NE has a couple implied romance here or there, but in the end no relationship happened. Heck, I have a husband and wife and I haven't shown them kissed. Then again, they were arguing. XD;

And Yuki's Sword, I hope you put romance to develop character interactions and not just to add romance or see you two characters love each other. That's all I'm going to say. D:

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Bay goes N. MNZ misses his turn. The dragon makes another spot check: nope.

Seems I forgot to answer this. Well done, myself.

I usually type everything directly into my computer, but I have been known to write things out. Conversely, I much prefer reading off of paper than off of a screen.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Do you think romance should always be an integral part of a fic?

Intergral part no. You can always add it to put some flavor but not always have to be romance within it as the core.

Heart's Soul

Hey, look, I was gone.
    Years
    • Age 28
    • Seen Aug 20, 2020

It cannot be the main part of a fan-fiction or you're writing something for adults at the age of 15. No, there can be some romance, but cut some out for the younger readers.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Is it hard or relatively easy for you to receive a critical review of your work? What can make it difficult to read or accept a review and what can make it easier?
    It depends. If I'm friends with the person or on good terms with them, then I'll be a courteous artist. But if there's some issue between us I can be defensive when with anyone else I would sway my feelings.

The thing I hate the most about reviews is getting told the same thing again and again, especially if I acknowledge that problem myself. I only need one person to comment on how something is bad because that's all it takes to recognize the problem. If I make one little mistake involving tps reports, I don't need the entire department telling me about it.

It shouldn't be integral to every work, but if a relationship is integral to the development of the characters then, I beg you, don't skimp on the details! Relationships are important, so if you can convey a person's interpersonal-relation skills, then don't leave it out. It's necessary.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Is it hard or relatively easy for you to receive a critical review of your work? What can make it difficult to read or accept a review and what can make it easier?

It depends on the nature of the critique. If it's grammar, then I'm fine. If it's something more important like a plot hole, that can get me upset. Not with the critic, mind you, but with my work.

Sgt Shock

Goldsmith
    Years
  • Is it hard or relatively easy for you to receive a critical review of your work? What can make it difficult to read or accept a review and what can make it easier?

I can find many things wrong with the work I create and try to fix them almost instantaneously. The fact is, if someone is satisfied with their work, they will never grow. I am never satisfied so I try to continue to grow.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back