• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Video game developer questions

MeerFall

Strong, Competitive, Cool!
Years
  • (note: I don't know if it would fit anywhere else. It just didn't seem to fit anywhere else)

In the future, I want to be involed in the creation of video games. But I don't know which jobs are out there.

I know some of the bigger titles but I also want to know more sub catogory (particually in game designers). I know that there are programmers, game designers, level builders/editors.
    (there are also more art related jobs but I ain't interested in them).

I know some of you are game makers (independant and communally), could you help me expand my knowledge?

(Also if you don't mind, could you leave me a link to a youtube video that focuses on coding using a notepad on windows. Thank you)

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2021
    This all depends on the scope of the game, large AAA-developers will have a lot more roles to fill from sound technicians and story writer to voice actors. While in a very small indie studio you may find that they have only one developer who does all kind of miscellaneous stuff and an artist (Team Meat is a notable example). You'll also likely find everything in between those extremes.
    You'll also find that in larger projects a programmer is not just a programmer, you'll have game play developers, network developers, graphics programmers etc.

So the answer depends mostly on what you actually want to work on in video games.

Last edited:

MeerFall

Years
  • Moving this over to Video Games.

-moved.

Thank you, sorry to bother you.

This all depends on the scope of the game, large AAA-developers will have a lot more roles to fill from sound technicians and story writer to voice actors. While in a very small indie studio you may find that they have only one developer who does all kind of miscellaneous stuff and an artist (Team Meat is a notable example). You'll also likely find everything in between those extremes.
    You'll also find that in larger projects a programmer is just a programmer, you'll have game play developers, network developers, graphics programmers etc.

So the answer depends mostly on what you actually want to work on in video games.

Thanks for the info! I don't actually know what I want to work on but I probably get into smaller studios.

Last edited:

Patrick

Ya'll Are Weird
    Years
  • Attend events like GDC (except not this year, even though it's over. Man what a mess) or ECGC, sign up for the IGDA, keep close tabs on or get involved in the Independant Games Festival, make some contacts on LinkedIn. If there's a GameJam in your area, and it's doing the 48 hour event? ATTEND.

Basically, that's all just for starters. The starter of starters.

MeerFall

Years
  • Attend events like GDC (except not this year, even though it's over. Man what a mess) or ECGC, sign up for the IGDA, keep close tabs on or get involved in the Independant Games Festival, make some contacts on LinkedIn. If there's a GameJam in your area, and it's doing the 48 hour event? ATTEND.

Basically, that's all just for starters. The starter of starters.

Thank you for the advice!

Back