• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A metagame without Salamence - Salamence is now uber

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
Years

• inb4gwfcores.

I lol'ed.

--------------------------------------

But yeah, not really surprising imo. I personally don't agree, but the fact that it did force users to implement multiple checks/counters to help with it says a lot about it being overpowered itself. People say that it's easy to take down, but keep in mind you're generally being forced to run two steels, a random scarfer, and/or priority (Minus stall, but if a stall team had problems with Mence it's not that good anyways. Still, teams outside of stall really should have priority anyways, but I guess I'm mostly referring to Bullet Punch =3), and the fact that it put a minor centralization for team building in the metagame says a lot.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    Soon they will find another pokemon that is too hard to deal with and put it to suspect then move it to ubers (prolly nite due to its ban dragon fetish) anyway it will be a never ending process until everything is all uber

personally ice shard and it dies something that makes it dies

may sound extremely stupid stupid but imo thats how it will end up

Last edited:

JeXsus™

I don't need an avatar!
    Years
    • Age 31
    • NY
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    Soon they will find another pokemon that is too hard to deal with and put it to suspect then move it to ubers (prolly nite due to its ban dragon fetish) anyway it will be a never ending process until everything is all uber

Lol I was just saying this exact thing to my brother like 15 minutes ago ^_^

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • Lol I was just saying this exact thing to my brother like 15 minutes ago ^_^

You two don't understand how a Pokemon becomes suspect, do you? They don't just randomly pick something and say "yeah, you're a suspect now," there is research done and if something is deemed overpowered, THEN it is tested. It's this precise reason that Dragonite will probably NEVER become a suspect: Its attack stat and speed stats are lower than that of Mence's, making it easier to handle. It may have the extra bulk, but it is MUCH more manageable.

Nothing is deemed suspect unless there is reason to do so, and there isn't always a suspect.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    You two don't understand how a Pokemon becomes suspect, do you? They don't just randomly pick something and say "yeah, you're a suspect now," there is research done and if something is deemed overpowered, THEN it is tested. It's this precise reason that Dragonite will probably NEVER become a suspect: Its attack stat and speed stats are lower than that of Mence's, making it easier to handle. It may have the extra bulk, but it is MUCH more manageable.

Nothing is deemed suspect unless there is reason to do so, and there isn't always a suspect.

More like people whine and complain so they move it to suspects to shut people up till they find a new pokemon to complain about and when you take one pokemon out others are used more frequently and they end up being "broken" so it gets moved to suspects then most likely uber as ive seen as of lately

JeXsus™

I don't need an avatar!
    Years
    • Age 31
    • NY
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016

Ohhh I see, thanks for helping me understand.

Jake♫

► My Happy Little Pill 
    Years
  • More like people whine and complain so they move it to suspects to shut people up till they find a new pokemon to complain about and when you take one pokemon out others are used more frequently and they end up being "broken" so it gets moved to suspects then most likely uber as ive seen as of lately

So in other words, the fact that Mence centralized the metagame to forcing the player to run at least one steel type to take Dracos/Outrage, it's sheer versatility, unpredictable-ness, wall breaking abilities, and it's late-game sweeping abilities don't mean anything, it's just people whining.

Umm, no. Although I personally don't think it is Ubers (As you think as well), I can see why it was (By an overwhelming majority nonetheless). It's not like random people made much of an impact either: A council was formed out of Smogon's best battlers and they voted on it, no one else. If some of the best competitive battlers agree that it's uber, then I don't see a problem with the voting.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Jan 23, 2011
    I know the descision wasn't made by random ppl otherwise the metagame would be hell in a hand basket
    i just think that mence isnt ubers material and should stay in ou due to the fact there are various counters for it

the above 2 posts of mine were just me being stupid and to see who and how many people would flame me or justify that i was wrong xD

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    I know the descision wasn't made by random ppl otherwise the metagame would be hell in a hand basket
    i just think that mence isnt ubers material and should stay in ou due to the fact there are various counters for it

the above 2 posts of mine were just me being stupid and to see who and how many people would flame me or justify that i was wrong xD

So basically
    you_is_trollin_tshirt-p235074388543774450t5tr_400.jpg

>_>

Elaborate.

Fire Wolf

it's as humid as a sauna, boy!
    Years
  • SacredMiKeY, there isn't any "real counter" for Mence, you just have checks for it and you can revenge kill it.

Well I wanted Mence to be uber because that means one pokemon less to check, but honestly I didn't expect it to uber ;o. I don't really care as I only play UU and sometimes Ubers now.

empty streets

Ace trainer ★
    Years
  • Lol. I actually used that fellow.. Helped me out a lot. Oh well. I lost interest in it as a team member before This happened anyway.

Years
  • Granted, he is a bit of a handful, but I never had a problem with him.

I always had a quick ice sweeper in my team, or at least something with an ice based move.

XEL

Lorem Ipsum
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2022
    It's this precise reason that Dragonite will probably NEVER become a suspect: Its attack stat and speed stats are lower than that of Mence's, making it easier to handle. It may have the extra bulk, but it is MUCH more manageable.

We pretty much said this about mence back when chomp was uberized too.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    We pretty much said this about mence back when chomp was uberized too.

A. That was a totally different metagame.
    B. Mence didn't have Outrage when chomp was banned initially lol

Tyrant626

Pokemon Breeder
    Years
  • I highly doubt Dragonite and Flygon being suspected. Dragonite's speed is 20 less than Salamence, meaning it's more easily countered, not to mention lower attack stats. (even if only by 1/10 attack/spec attack wise). Flygon doesn't have the power of Salamence at all, so it won't get tested. Kingdra has to set up to provide some sort of threat, otherwise it's a weaker Flygon with weaker attacks. Salamence could set up in your face, or hit hard right off the bat. More often than not, it either swept teams, or allowed you to set up another pokemon to sweep.

I know, I was merely joking over the ridiculousness of it. Salamence was easily killed by anything faster than it with stone edge, even without stealth rock sometimes.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    I know, I was merely joking over the ridiculousness of it. Salamence was easily killed by anything faster than it with stone edge, even without stealth rock sometimes.

Thats kind of the problem, everything with SE is slower and easily ko'd.

Anyway this thread has run its course, i see all the nubs have come out the woodwork and are ruining this thread weee.

~Locked~

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back