• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Most useless moves? (besides Splash)

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
Years
  • Celebrate- Your Pokemon wishes you a Happy Birthday.

I had no idea that was a thing until I looked it up just now. Absolutely pointless. At least make it like the Birthday Surprise Pikachu TCG card, where it has like 150 Power only if it's your birthday. Then you can at least exploit the in-game date to use it. XD

Flushed

never eat raspberries
    Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I always thought Last Resort was useless. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it used successfully.

Link119

The Self-Proclaimed King
    Years
  • I always thought Last Resort was useless. I'm not sure if I've ever seen it used successfully.

The most effective way I've seen it used is with Fake Out Ambipom...Fake Out, and then 8 Last Resorts...The downside is that it'd be entirely walled by Ghost types and wouldn't dish out too much damage on others...

Elincia

Arisa Gracia: Protagonist
    Years
    • Seen Apr 23, 2016
    The worst move?
    Focus Energy in Gen 1.
    Is it true that it actually lowers your critical hit rate?

LividZephyr

Oxymoron, not a moron, thanks
    Years
  • In Singles, Quash is just another name for Splash.

Actually it rhymes with Splash, so it's Splash no matter what. It's the single worst move in the game - even worse than Splash. It's not even PRIORITY.

In Doubles, it's useless. Because that would involve having a Pokemon faster than the one you're using it on. Why bother with a move like this when you can attack instead?

In Triples, it has a tiny bit of use, to counteract certain Pokemon that can be a problem for your team, allowing you to kill it with your other Pokemon or two. The problem is that what if it's the one on the far left or the far right? Only two Pokemon can attack those two slots... so let's say you have a Scizor and a Jellicent and your opponent has a Trevenant that's likely going to hurt your Jellicent (and probably outspeed it) considerably, but Scizor can take care of Trevenant with a Bug-type move. Why use Quash when you can have Jellicent use Protect, which HAS PRIORITY, and have Scizor try to OHKO the Trevenant? It's just a random example. Plus, if any of your opponent's other Pokemon attacked the jelly... it wouldn't work either.

So Quash has no use no matter what. The move shouldn't exist, shouldn't be a TM (it's the only one I don't have in XY), and it has no use.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • Quash: so useless, I'm not even sure what it does, and I don't care to check.

Years
  • The worst move?
    Focus Energy in Gen 1.
    Is it true that it actually lowers your critical hit rate?

If you were faster than the foe, it does nothing, and if you're slower, you never score critical hits. Yeah, it worked incorrectly. It was fixed in Stadium, however.

And even better, it can actually serve some decent use in Generation VI because with three boosts, you can actually reach a 100% critical hit rate. Even two boosts give you 50%, which is impractical but still interesting.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I agree with Quash. It's just very pathetic.

I always thought Fury Cutter was pretty useless too. The accuracy and power is just too shaky to make it worthwhile. It improved in gen VI but it's still not an option imho at all.

Years
  • I agree with anyone who mentioned Water Sport and Mud Sport, I don't see a need for those moves in the first place because Water-types tend to resist Fire moves already, while most Mud Sport users are Ground-types who are already immune to Electric.

Oh, and I also love what Lost Lore said about Quash. That move has shallow-as-hell distribution and its basically a dumb doubles/triples gimmick. It really shouldn't have gotten its place as a TM, so yeah I'm hoping that when the TMs are updated again in 7th Gen they should replace it with something way better that would actually be useful.

Face it, I'd probably fire the person at Game Freak who made the most useless TMs ever.

Treecko

the princess without voice
    Years
  • Quash, as other have had said. Before joining PC, I had no idea it even existed. It's that useless.

And I always thought Simple Beam to be useless cause all it does is change your ability to Simple.I isn't awful from what I've read per say , but it's only changes the ability to a Pokemon.

Mithel_Celestia

Alluring Illusion
    Years
  • How in the world does Heal Pulse even work? Can you heal your partner in a double/triple battle? And if you can, it's still situational and gimmicky as all hell. You're better off using something else rather than wasting a precious move slot for it.

Heal Pulse is very useful in contrast to some screens, heck, it's been a staple to my Doubles since and won't be going away anytime soon. However, it's a matter of who uses it. Defensive pokemon are more useful for this than an offensive pokemon

Zorogami

WUB WUB
    Years
  • Besides the moves that have already been mentioned, ive always thought rage to be pretty unuseful. You basically allow your opponent to hit you for a very small increase in attack power, AND you have to use it consecutively...not really worth it.

Hero of Twilight

Rest in Peace Iwata.
    Years
    • Seen Mar 5, 2016
    worry seed is a move that prevents your opponent from falling asleep because it has insomonia. where is the use in that?

Years
  • memento. god, that's so useless.

Yeah, as someone said earlier (Jamais I think?) it can be easily countered just by switching. Never even see a use for it at all.

Another move I'd mention is Fling. I don't really see this move useful at all given it makes you permanently lose your held item, and like I said about Quash I don't think it even deserved to be a TM.

Jaystar

Sinnoh Veteran
    Years
  • worry seed is a move that prevents your opponent from falling asleep because it has insomonia. where is the use in that?

Well, it could be used to prevent your opponent from Rest-spamming you. Also, if they have an annoyingly good ability like Shedinja's Wonder Guard, it could be used to cancel that out.

Still, it seems kinda pointless to make worry seed a move. Why waste one of only four move spots on a move that's only good 1 out of 100 times? It would've been cool as an ability for Grass-types or something.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Fling may be useful if you have toxic/flame orb which deals damage and gradually inflict bad poison or burn to the opponent's pokemon. Not to mention, Iron ball which pack of punch when fling'ed

Years
  • Baby-Doll Eyes and Play Nice are really useless. Jus new versions of Growl and pretty unnecessary, especially since most Pokemon that can learn these moves can also learn Growl. I guess Baby-Doll Eyes has the edge since it's +1 priority but... ehhh!

Last Resort never has helped me either. Fury Cutter sucks and misses before it gets enough power. I'd rather use turns on something else.

Years
  • Baby-Doll Eyes isn't entirely useless since it's one of the required moves to evolve Eevee into Sylveon, but yeah I do agree with Sheep on Play Nice. It's essentially a Growl clone plus pretty much the majority of those who learn it also learn Growl.

Back