• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Question] RPG Maker and Rights

Years
    • Seen Oct 15, 2019
    Hi there,

I want to start developing my own first Pokémon game. I already found the tutorials and I think they are great. But now I have the following questions:

- A few days ago Nintendo shut the Metroid 2 Remake AM2R down. At the same time there are several Pokémon Fan games like Pokémon Revolution online, Pokémon Zeta/Omicron and many others. Why aren't they shut down as well? Is there a chance that Nintendo will shut them down?
    If I develop a fan game like Zeta Omicron do I have to fear any legal consequences besides having to shut it down if Nintendo demands it?

-I saw that those Tuturials work with RPG Maker XP. Now there are several newer RPG Makers on the market. Is RPG Maker XP still the standard software to develop Pokémon fan games? If so, are there no adventages on using the newer ones?

Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2023
    1) You will find many topics answering your first question with more details, but a common answer given here is that, as long as you do not make any kind of profit from your game, you should be fine.

2) Pokemon Essentials currently works with RPG Maker XP only. If you want to use a more recent version of RPG Maker, you will have to start your project from scratch, or to adapt the code of Pokemon Essentials to the new version (either way, it would require a substantial coding knowledge, and a lot of time). So, it may have advantages, but this disadvantage on its own is pretty big.
    You can find other softwares to develop Pokemon games if you search the forum (here, for instance)

Derxwna Kapsyla

Derxwna "The Badman" Kapsyla
    Years
  • Unfortunately it's a little harrier than that. Just because you aren't making a profit off of it, doesn't mean Nintendo or Game Freak can't DCMA or C&D the project. It still infringes on their Intellectual Property and copyrights, which means that so long as it uses the name or their assets in any way, they still have every right to shut down the project. Not making a profit off it makes them less likely to do anything about it.

Back