• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th gen 4drag2mag Revival

Mihael

Tara X willow=OTP
Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2012
    LandSharpedo (Garchomp) (M) @ Choice Band
    Trait: Sand Veil
    EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang

Latias (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
    - Draco Meteor
    - Thunderbolt
    - Ice Beam
    - Trick

Salamence (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
    - Outrage
    - Stone Edge
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang

Overhhyped (Ononokusu) (M) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    - Outrage
    - Earthquake
    - Brick Break
    - X-Scissor

trapu (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
    Trait: Magnet Pull
    EVs: 40 HP / 252 SAtk / 216 Spd
    Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Substitute
    - Sunny Day

Metagross @ Choice Band
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 164 HP / 252 Atk / 92 Def
    - Bullet Punch
    - ThunderPunch
    - Ice Punch
    - Meteor Mash

The basic idea of this team is to take away the opponents steel types and then Outrage with the dragons. Latias is good for wallbreaking, and the only special sweeper. Metagross was originally a magneton, but while playtesting, I found myself seriously lacking Priority, and a lack of an efficient counter to ice and dragon types, metagross fills that role nicely and has been very useful so far.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • LandSharpedo (Garchomp) (M) @ Focus Sash
    EVs: 252 Atk /4 SAtk/ 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spe, -SDef)
    - Stealth Rock
    - Double Chop/Dragon Claw
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

Gyarados
    -Dragon Dance
    -Waterfall
    -Earthquake/Stone Edge/Ice Fang/Bounce
    -Earthquake/Stone Edge/Ice Fang/Bounce
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/Life Orb/Lum Berry/Wacan Berry

Blissey
    -Seismic Toss
    -Ice Beam/Flamethrower
    -Thunder Wave/Toxic
    -Softboiled
    Nature: Bold
    EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 Spe
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Natural Cure

Sazandora
    -Draco Meteor
    -U-turn
    -Surf
    -Fire Blast
    Nature: Timid
    EVs: 4 HP/252 SAtk/252 Spe
    Item: Choice Scarf

trapu (Magnezone) @ Leftovers
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Substitute
    - Explosion/Magnet Rise

Metagross @ Lum Berry/Leftovers/Life Orb
    Trait: Clear Body
    EVs: 60 HP / 252 Atk / 196 Spe
    - Agility
    - ThunderPunch/Zen Headbutt/Explosion
    - Earthquake
    - Meteor Mash

The basic idea of this team is to take away the opponents steel types and then Outrage with the dragons. Latias is good for wallbreaking, and the only special sweeper. Metagross was originally a magneton, but while playtesting, I found myself seriously lacking Priority, and a lack of an efficient counter to ice and dragon types, metagross fills that role nicely and has been very useful so far.
    Changes to sets in bold. Detailed comments:
    -You have a huge Ice weakness. Your only Ice resists are Metagross and Magnezone.
    -You have way too many Choice items, meaning that other Pokemon can come in and set up on your Pokemon.
    -Backing up the first comment, I wasn't sure on what Pokemon to replace, to be brutally honest. My changes to the team aren't the best; maybe someone could suggest better changes.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Oct 24, 2022
    Changes to sets in bold. Detailed comments:
    -You have a huge Ice weakness. Your only Ice resists are Metagross and Magnezone.
    -You have way too many Choice items, meaning that other Pokemon can come in and set up on your Pokemon.
    -Backing up the first comment, I wasn't sure on what Pokemon to replace, to be brutally honest. My changes to the team aren't the best; maybe someone could suggest better changes.

...the hell? why do you have pokemon like Blissey coming in on what's supposed to be a heavily offensive team? :/

Ice weakness comes with 4drag2mag. The idea is to lure steel-types with super-powerful Outrages and such and then trap & kill them with Magnezone. And you were talking about other Pokemon coming in and setting up... what's going to like setting up on a CB Garchomp Outrage aside from Steel-types?

Anyway, as far as the team, I'd run Latios over Latias. The bulk is less necessary and power more appreciated especially when you're running a scarf set. Also, it seems like you have a lot of troubles with some of the bigger powerhouses of the metagame; Doryuuzu in particular resists your only priority (Bullet Punch) and outspeeds even your scarfed threats in sand. While 4drag2mag was a fairly good strategy in gen 4, things have changed. With incredibly fast and powerful sweepers running around (as well as priority moves to check those sweepers) it's just not as useful as it used to be.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • ...the hell? why do you have pokemon like Blissey coming in on what's supposed to be a heavily offensive team? :/

Ice weakness comes with 4drag2mag. The idea is to lure steel-types with super-powerful Outrages and such and then trap & kill them with Magnezone. And you were talking about other Pokemon coming in and setting up... what's going to like setting up on a CB Garchomp Outrage aside from Steel-types?

Anyway, as far as the team, I'd run Latios over Latias. The bulk is less necessary and power more appreciated especially when you're running a scarf set. Also, it seems like you have a lot of troubles with some of the bigger powerhouses of the metagame; Doryuuzu in particular resists your only priority (Bullet Punch) and outspeeds even your scarfed threats in sand. While 4drag2mag was a fairly good strategy in gen 4, things have changed. With incredibly fast and powerful sweepers running around (as well as priority moves to check those sweepers) it's just not as useful as it used to be.
    I didn't know what 4drag2mag actually was when I saw the thread.

Then maybe Skarmory as a replacement? IDK.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    me said:
    This is one of the more in-depth points about rating and it's really annoying as it's constantly done. Basically, things like if someone has an Heavy Offensive team, suggesting a Porygon2 or a wall will not help; please think of the strategy and what the OP's aim is with the team. Porygon2 will not help for obvious reasons on Heavy Offense, HO's aim is to keep momentum. A wall or Porygon2 are often offensively inept and can grant the foe free set up opportunities for stall and foe offense; often more than a frail offensive team can respond to and breaks the momentum. Similarly, suggesting an Infernape on a stall team would be just as useless since the team's aim is to stall, not sweep (obviously there are exceptions and this is subjective based on the team, especially more balanced playstyles, but keep what the team's goal is in mind before doing things like this. Basically, look at the team style before jumping to conclusions and making generalizations in your rate and don't suggest random garbage that doesn't help.)

Anyway, tl;dr both Blissey and Skarmory would be useless here.

This team is quite easy to wall for a drag steel team, you have way too many choice users so lets fix that. You also lack SR which is crucial to get KO's with a team like this.

Heatran @ Balloon
    4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Timid Nature
    - Stealth Rock
    - Fire Blast
    - Earth Power
    - Hidden Power Ice / Dragon Pulse

OR

Kirikizan @ Focus Sash / Lum Berry
    168 hp / 252 Atk / 92 Spd
    - Taunt
    - Stealth Rock
    - Sucker Punch
    - Stone Edge / Brick Break / Ankle Sweep

Heatran (Insurance against Doryuuzu with Balloon)/Kirikizan (if you want priority) > Metagross. Metagross is terrible in this metagame and you DONT want foe Spikers to get up multiple layers of Spikes against a team like this which is what Metagross allows.

LandSharpedo (Garchomp) (M) @ Yache Berry / Haban Berry
    Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Swords Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Fire Fang

Dont lead with a CBer. SD Chomp opens up sweeps better for this sort of team.

Sazandora (F) @ Choice Scarf
    Trait: Levitate
    EVs: 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    - Draco Meteor
    - Surf
    - Fire Blast
    - U-Turn

Pursuit baitttt. Ice Beam and Thunderbolt are also useless on Latias HP Fire + Surf are better for future reference. Either way Sazandora is a MUCH better scarfer than Latios lol.

Salamence (M) @ Life Orb
    Trait: Intimidate
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
    Naive Nature (+Spd, -SpD)
    - Outrage
    - Draco Meteor

- Earthquake
    - Fire Blast

Scarf Mence sucks. This is probably Mences best set with its DD set, as a mixed sweeper.

Overhhyped (Ononokusu) (M) @ Lum Berry
    Trait: Mold Breaker
    Jolly Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
    - Outrage
    - Dragon Dance
    - Earthquake
    - Taunt

Lets you well sweep late game and wall break at the same time. Cleans up after everything has been mashed.

trapu (Magnezone) @ Balloon
    - Hidden Power [Fire]
    - Thunderbolt
    - Substitute / Thunderwave
    - Sunny Day

I gather this is your answer to foe weather teams ? Ok i guess. Use Balloon though to beat Dory. Thunderwave might be useful to cripple swift swimmers after you change the weather.

Comments and suggestions in bold.

Last edited:

Mihael

Tara X willow=OTP
    Years
    • Seen Aug 2, 2012
    Will replace latias with latios. Figured latios was banned by now >_>
    Taking zelf's advice on chomp and mence.
    I'm really fond of metagross though. he's been insanely useful =l

Back