• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Genre of the week: Autobiographies

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
  • Yes, this will include biographies as well, so feel free to include those!

I remember reading a lot of these for school. Just about every report had me going to the library to see if I could find anything since the internet at my house was normally shot. The most interesting one I remember reading was of John Glenn. I'm fascinated with space and everything, so it only suits that an astronaut would keep me interested. I read about how he became the first American to orbit the Earth and the third person in space. I've read a few more simply because they've interested me, but they were almost exclusively pioneers of the gaming industry.

So what kind of autobiographies/biographies have you read either for school or for fun?

Psychic

Really and truly
    Years
    • Seen Apr 11, 2018
    I've never been big on biographies. I remember reading a few in elementary school and not being very engaged, mostly because I wasn't really interested in those people's specific experiences. (Mostly Holocaust survivors and Chuck Yeager.) I've never actively searched for a good biography to read, even now that I know what subjects interest me. That said, I recently read Mindy Kaling's first autobiography, and I absolutely loved it, so I'd like to look into more autobiographies by female comedians.

I think it would be cool to someday write an autobiography if I think people would deem my life interesting enough. I've been keeping a journal for quite awhile, now, and there are certain relationships that I've wanted to write about since I began.

~Psychic

diamondpearl876

you can breathe now. x
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 25, 2022
    I'm actually having to write an autobiographical statement for a graduate school entrance essay sometime soon. I'm not having too much luck with ideas. Usually I have too much to say on one particular topic, especially if I'm passionate about it and I have experience with it, so it's something I'll be needing to think about in-depth before writing/submitting.

Bay

Years
  • I suppose Night's my only experience with the genre. I'm glad it exists; the world could do with a few reminders of how horrible war can be.

I remember reading Night as one of my reading assignments in school, but for some reason I can't get into it. I do respect it as a very important piece focusing on the war experience, though. There's also Anne Frank: The Diary of a Young Girl if it can considered an autobiography and that one I was more invested in.

Another autobiography/biography I read was one of Rudy Giuliani (former NYC mayor) for a scholarship I was applying for. Can't remember the book's name, but I remember there were some references to the September 11th attacks and his thoughts on it were interesting.

Bounsweet

Fruit Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2018
    I feel like almost all "autobiographies" that you see in bookstores are ghostwritten so honestly that sort of puts me off. I do like the concept, a bit, but it's not something that I'm really gung-ho about. I did read an autobiography (I think it was more of a memoir, though) by Portia de Rossi about her experience with eating disorders, which I found very interesting. I suppose if someone has an interesting or engaging enough life event to develop into a full story, I can be really intrigued. If it's mundane or uneventful, then... no thanks.

Back