• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Apple or Samsung?

Which phone company is better?

• Samsung all the way!

Votes: 10 71.4%
  • The Iphone always wins!

Votes: 4 28.6%

• Total voters

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
Years
  • Literally thats the question i was talking with my friends today and one had a samsung note 3 and the other had an iphone 6 so someway or another war began and they began listing the pros cons and why their phone is better. So which do you guys think is better apple or samsung? Android or Ios? And which phone do you have or want?

Sirfetch’d

Personally I prefer Apple but I am so biased because I've used Apple products for as long as I can remember.

Going to move this over to Computers and Technology though! :)

Years
  • Personally, I'm not a fan of the whole "Apple vs <name of manufacturer>" debate. Why? Because <name of manufacturer> is not the only one that makes Android devices.

srinator

Especially since Samsung is crap wrapped in good advertising, i do not support Apple per say but that only because of iOS, the device itself is very elegant. Comparing two hot shot companies is not the way to go cause then you are just asking which is the lesser evil.
    A better discussion would be asking iOS vs android, in which I would easily go for android.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Considering Apple specializes in brainwashing, stealing the freeBSD kernel and copying many features from Ubuntu so that they would insert them into OS X (and even iOS), I prefer Samsung. iPhone is a good device, but is overpriced as hell. I can't stand Apple at all.

Altius

Flygon Fan
    Years
  • Saying all this from a regular user's perspective:

For some reason, I never had good luck with Samsung phones.

Gonna go with Apple for their (way) better customer service experience.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • Whatever I speak is from user experience. I own an android phone myself. My roommate owned a Samsung Galaxy S5 while another owned an iPhone 5S. Also, there may be times when I'd go into specific models or even generalize. The topic is sort of weird so forgive me if there are instances you notice when I'm not exactly going with "Samsung vs Apple" and concentrating on, say, "Android vs iOS" or "S6 vs 6".

Pros with Apple phones:
    Elegant design (subjective but generally better than Samsung mobiles. S6 is an exception to the rule, though)
    iOS generally doesn't lag. Also, way lesser crashes.
    Simpler UI for a daily smartphone user. Lack of complex features and settings make it difficult to do something accidentally so you mess your phone up.
    Better service, generally.
    The updates. All devices get updated as soon as a new version of the OS is out.
    The cameras they use are top-notch. Industry-leading standards. Other companies usually play catch up. 6S will definitely dominate S6's camera when it releases.

Pros with Samsung phones: (talking about flagships since only the flagships actually compare performance-wise with the iPhones)
    With android, you're much more free. Can do a lot more than with iOS.
    True multi-tasking. iOS doesn't allow that.
    Customization possibilities are literally endless. You can ACTUALLY make the device your own.
    You can tinker with your system a lot more possibly allowing being able to get more out of your device than it usually can deliver.
    Also, Samsung phones generally last longer on a daily basis. S5 had a better a better battery life than my other friend's 5S.
    Their SAMOLED screens are top-notch and offer infinite contrast ratio by switching off individual pixels when not in use. Colors POP out much more and look attractive.

Some of the points in Samsung's favor are actually more true for android devices in general.
    Now, some cons for both. Both mostly deal breakers for me:

Apple - Lack of freedom, Pricey.
    Samsung - Touchwiz, even with its stripped down lollipop version, still lags.

Another issue I have is, well, there's their butt-ugly design for most phones that are not S6. S6, although good looking, is pricey. As expensive as iPhones. So another no for me. :p

Overall, I consider them about equal. Not an especially big fan of either. I like iPhones because they look sexy. But their lack of freedoom is just too much for me to overlook. As for Samsung, TouchWiz spells doom for it. With a custom ROM, though, most problems would be solved. I'd love to have an S6 running some great custom ROM like exodus that I'm running on my OnePlus One. Now that'd be a great phone to have. :p

But installing a custom ROM = tinkering with the product. With the product as it is - as it is given to me, I'm not a fan of it. If we're comparing them, I'd compare them without going with modifications made to the product via the user like installation of custom ROMs and stuff. Besides, most users don't do stuff like that since they're usually more concerned with not getting into possibly system-breaking processes and prefer to use phones without messing around with 'em. In that regard, for me, right now, an S6 = an iPhone 6. Both have their pros. But they both have issues. Same goes for both the companies in general.

Tolkin

Meowstic
    Years
  • I am using a Samsung Galaxy S6 Edge, switched over from an iPhone 5. I am done with Apple for now, it seems like they are falling behind in the competition.

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • I'm not too brand loyal, but I currently have a Samsung Galaxy because it was less expensive than an iPhone. I'm very appreciative of my ol' Apple iPod Nano I've had since 2006 as it's a beast that never quit on me after years of being dropped. same with my DS! :p I've had my Samsung since September 2014 and it's starting to lag, no dropping it I swear!

That Samsung is actually my first and only smartphone. I upgraded from a dumb phone in 2014 heyooo.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • To be honest, whenever Apple is included in one of these, I'm almost always gonna be rooting for the other party, out of habit. I've never liked Apple or its products, and I don't see myself switching from my Samsung devices any time soon.

Years
  • Is there an option for neither? Neither manufacturer has really impressed me, and both of their interfaces are a pain (they are both very easy to use for someone new to a smartphone, but that aspect just doesn't jell with me very well). Of the two, I prefer the Galaxy devices, but not by much. I vastly prefer other Android devices.

I'm not too brand loyal, but I currently have a Samsung Galaxy because it was less expensive than an iPhone. I'm very appreciative of my ol' Apple iPod Nano I've had since 2006 as it's a beast that never quit on me after years of being dropped. same with my DS! :p I've had my Samsung since September 2014 and it's starting to lag, no dropping it I swear!

That Samsung is actually my first and only smartphone. I upgraded from a dumb phone in 2014 heyooo.

Look at a different Android device next time. Samsung's interface is known to get buggy at times. Plus, Samsung's flagship device prices are comparable to Apple's flagship device prices. Other Android manufacturers have their flagship devices as cheaper than Apple's and Samsung's since theirs are less well known.

Also, reboot your phone once or twice a week and clear all your app caches following these instructions: http://www.verizonwireless.com/support/knowledge-base-97265/ (they may be instructions built by Verizon Wireless, but they work for all Samsung Galaxy devices regardless of carrier, and the steps are similar on other Android devices even if they're not the exact same).

That should make your phone run faster. Which reminds me, I need to go through and clear app caches on mine. It's been a while since I've done that.

srinator

I agree with the above, Most "good" android phones are the ones that are not marked Samsung, Sony etc

Also if you are a Samsung user and also someone who looks to tweak their devices by habit, you should try flashing a custom rom.

Years
  • I agree with the above, Most "good" android phones are the ones that are not marked Samsung, Sony etc

I've yet to see a really popular Sony phone running Android, so I'm not sure why you mentioned them alongside Samsung. They're nowhere near the top sellers of Android devices, as HTC, Lenovo, Huawei, LG, Xiaomi, and ZTE are all ahead of them in sales volume.

Their fork is extremely customized, but the devices they've released have been at least solid (other than the first Xperia way back in 2010 or something, which tried too hard to be too many things and kinda flopped its way into a mediocre experience).

srinator

I've yet to see a really popular Sony phone running Android, so I'm not sure why you mentioned them alongside Samsung. They're nowhere near the top sellers of Android devices, as HTC, Lenovo, Huawei, LG, Xiaomi, and ZTE are all ahead of them in sales volume.

Their fork is extremely customized, but the devices they've released have been at least solid (other than the first Xperia way back in 2010 or something, which tried too hard to be too many things and kinda flopped its way into a mediocre experience).

I don't know how it is in other countries,but the xperia series is extremely popular. Most notably the z, they never did release t here idk why. I am from India and the market here is very different from what u might encounter in say the us. There is no zte, lenovo is nediocre, and Samsung/ Sony invests a shit load of money into advertisements that just hype existing and extremely useless features. Specs vise there are slight changes in the phones available here and outside idk why. And brands like micromax are much more popular because of how cheap they are.
    Lenovo is slowly becoming noticed, especially with the release of the a6000 and7000 along with the soon to be released k3, which have almost the same specs as those over expensive crap on top offered by sony Samsung and htc but almost 30k cheaper. Htc is kinda good, at least they have nicebuild quality, but the main problem I have with almost every Android device manufacturer is that they expect us to shell out such amounts for phones that last max a year and a half, I had a xperia go before my current one plus one, and it was at the time the first phone to showcase extreme durability. The entire system is went to crap after six months of moderate usage, after which I had flash cg roms which was ugh as well because clock work didn't support the device back then. Sorry I am deviating but yeah the market is different in different countries.

Years
  • I don't know how it is in other countries,but the xperia series is extremely popular. Most notably the z, they never did release t here idk why. I am from India and the market here is very different from what u might encounter in say the us. There is no zte, lenovo is nediocre, and Samsung/ Sony invests a **** load of money into advertisements that just hype existing and extremely useless features. Specs vise there are slight changes in the phones available here and outside idk why. And brands like micromax are much more popular because of how cheap they are.
    Lenovo is slowly becoming noticed, especially with the release of the a6000 and7000 along with the soon to be released k3, which have almost the same specs as those over expensive crap on top offered by sony Samsung and htc but almost 30k cheaper. Htc is kinda good, at least they have nicebuild quality, but the main problem I have with almost every Android device manufacturer is that they expect us to shell out such amounts for phones that last max a year and a half, I had a xperia go before my current one plus one, and it was at the time the first phone to showcase extreme durability. The entire system is went to crap after six months of moderate usage, after which I had flash cg roms which was ugh as well because clock work didn't support the device back then. Sorry I am deviating but yeah the market is different in different countries.

It's really not popular in the USA as a brand at all for phones. Also, the companies I listed were all ahead of Sony on a global sales level, so it's got limited popularity in most countries it would seem. I've seen adverts from HTC, Samsung, and Apple, and pretty much every major maker except for Sony. My carrier currently only offers one Sony phone, the Xperia z3 (there are something like 16 different ones available according to Sony USA's Xperia page, but the major carriers don't offer most of them).

The "Go" was a mid-range Android phone at release. Those are built to be cheaper as their priority. The OnePlus One is a flagship phone. If you stick to flagships, you'll typically have a better experience.

The smartphone turnover thing is partially driven by carriers, who tend to lock people into 2 year contracts for service in the USA. The concept is "planned obsolescence", and is used in quite a few industries.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
    Years
  • Nevermind the title, this should be more accurately described as Apple vs Google or IOS vs Android.

Despite Samsung's popularity and subsequent association with Android, recently I'd say Samsung tries to make Android look crap in comparison to iDevices. At first samsung made jabs at Apple for it's integrated battery (and subsequent bad battery life) because the battery was replaceable and now the S6 is like a late attempt at a iPhone lookalike whilst not trying to be one. (curved screens!) They also have a bad habit of including lots of useless samsung branded apps to try and make extra $$ by not using Google apps.

Amyone who has had a budget samsung phone and thinks android is slow needs to try out a nexus device.

srinator

It's really not popular in the USA as a brand at all for phones. Also, the companies I listed were all ahead of Sony on a global sales level, so it's got limited popularity in most countries it would seem. I've seen adverts from HTC, Samsung, and Apple, and pretty much every major maker except for Sony. My carrier currently only offers one Sony phone, the Xperia z3 (there are something like 16 different ones available according to Sony USA's Xperia page, but the major carriers don't offer most of them).

The "Go" was a mid-range Android phone at release. Those are built to be cheaper as their priority. The OnePlus One is a flagship phone. If you stick to flagships, you'll typically have a better experience.

The smartphone turnover thing is partially driven by carriers, who tend to lock people into 2 year contracts for service in the USA. The concept is "planned obsolescence", and is used in quite a few industries.
    We don't have this carrier concept here, it's buy a phone, buy a sim, either pay monthly rent or just pay an amount and use it till it finishes.

Also when go released here, the best phone they had was s, and go was actually supposed to be a very rugged phone being the first one to be water proof certified and what not. The entire advert campaign was around it being extremely rigid, and a few falls doing nothing to it. Well it once fell from my bed (which is Obv not even so high) a dent came on the edge of the main body and because of it the back flap wouldn't close properly, and there right there the entire water proof facade washed away :/
    Even the time scape thing was shit, and I used my uncles z ultra back when it was flagship and the down the lane I noticed even it has major problems.

Years
  • I've never really owned any Samsung products, and we have an iPhone anyway so yeah, I'm on Team Apple here as far as this thread is concerned.

Back