• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Water, Earth, Fire, Air ~ The ATLA & LOK Fanclub

Bay

Years
  • Username: Bay Alexison
    Favorite Element: Water
    Favorite Character: Everyone in the Aang group, Asami, Lin Beifong, Korra
    Favorite Episode: For Avatar pretty much the ones featuring life changing adventures with Zuko, lol. Lots of nice interactions Zuko got with everyone. For LoK, also The Beginnings and the flashback with the Beifong family feud. Season 3's finale is top notch too.

If the creators of ATLA and LOK wanted to make a third companion to ATLA and LOK would you rather have it showcase; a new earthbending avatar, a continuation of legend of korra or a continuation of avatar the last airbender?

Third/fourth on more material with the past avatars. There's so much I want to know about them. If I have to choose though, perhaps fifth season of LOK just to see more new technology being introduced in the avatar world, though perhaps also some flashbacks of New Republic's beginnings.

To be honest, I don't know all that much concerning the comics. D=

If you had to pick one as the best which one would it be ATLA or LOK? (also what season of whichever you picked did you enjoy the most)

I think Avatar has the overall stronger episodes and I enjoyed seasons 2 and 3 the most. Korra got its bearings in Season 3, though.

Last edited:

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    If you had to pick one as the best which one would it be ATLA or LOK?

ATLA, easily. I prefer how they went about building the story in tandem with the character development over the course of all three books. Each character had time to get attention and everything flowed so well together. With LoK, the fact that Korra had a new arc each book made the plots seem rushed and it killed any time to dedicate to good character development. For the most part, Bolin remained the two demensional comic relief, Mako was the hot headed cutie, and none of them really grew from that. Korra did a bit, but she was the main character. It may seem nit-picky, but I think character development is a huge part of creating a successful story and LoK fell pretty flat in that respect compared to ATLA.

..............that being said, I definitely do like LoK still.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Username: My username is
    machomuu, and, hey ladies
    I'm gonna rock you

5-7-5, Sokka. 5-7-5.

Favorite Element: Pretty hard to choose, but for the sake of consistency I'll pick Earthbending. I love the ways that they use it as the series progresses- though traditionally I'd have to say Air, since I think it's a cool element in general and love to see the way it's utilized from here to there. But Toph. And Bolin.

Favorite Character: Oh geez you hate me. Uh...Varrick definitely comes to mind since he was so consistently enjoyable from his first appearance in Korra to the end of the show. I was a big Azula fan when I was younger, she was pretty enjoyable. Same with Toph, who I LOOOOVED back in the day, and Bolin, who only got better as the series went forward.

So...uh...none. Wooh!

Favorite Episode: There are two that stick out to me more than any others- well,3, but they're Tales from Ba Sing Se (for obvious reasons, that episode gets me every time) and The Beginnings, which I think are two of the greatest episodes in Avatar and one of the best self-contained stories I've seen in a show. This was what made season 2 worth it for me since, if you've seen Korra, you know how that season was. It's an absolutely fantastic duology that Avatar fans should watch even if they aren't interested in Korra- or non-Avatar fans should watch if they aren't into Avatar. Especially since it feels pretty Ghibli.

Username: Karous

Favorite Element: I should say Fire, but earth and air are portrayed as the most powerful so idk lol. Maybe the dragon dance style of firebending.

Favorite Character: Zuko, Zuko, Zuko, and more Zuko. From LoK, I love Lin Beifong.

Favorite Episode: Zuko Alone, Day of the Black Sun pt. 2

I like the episodes focusing on Zuko, so yeah. I also like the comics focusing on him where we find out what happened to his mom. I probably would not have gotten into Avatar as much if not for Zuko's story.

From LoK, my favorite episode is the flashback when the Beifong family feud started between Toph, Lin, and Suyin. I forget the name but it was in book 3.

If the creators of ATLA and LOK wanted to make a third companion to ATLA and LOK would you rather have it showcase; a new earthbending avatar, a continuation of legend of korra or a continuation of avatar the last airbender?

Honestly, I'd like a series that didn't feature the Avatar as a main character and just had some randoms explore the rich worldbuilding that Bryke has created. Have the Avatar be all wise and make cameos, but I want a series based on the world of Avatar that wasn't principally about the Avatar but the world they are in.

If you had to pick one as the best which one would it be ATLA or LOK? (also what season of whichever you picked did you enjoy the most)

Neither show is objectively better than the other, they both have their strengths and weaknesses. For example, while TLA has overall stronger characters compared to the hit and miss of LoK's cast of thousands and lays the groundwork for worldbuilding, I like Korra a LOT more than I like Aang (honestly Aang imho is one of the weakest aspects of TLA, I actually slightly dislike him as a character) and the underlying story and themes of LoK are far more interesting than TLA's "Fire Hitler ruins everything". In my own personal opinion, I would rank the books as follows:

LoK book 3
    TLA book 3 (pre-Zuko joining Team Avatar, everything after he joins suffers from poor pacing imho)
    LoK book 4
    TLA book 2
    TLA book 1
    TLA book 3 (post-Zuko joining)
    LoK book 1
    LoK book 2

Username: Bay Alexison
    Favorite Element: Water
    Favorite Character: Everyone in the Aang group, Asami, Lin Beifong, Korra
    Favorite Episode: For Avatar pretty much the ones featuring life changing adventures with Zuko, lol. Lots of nice interactions Zuko got with everyone. For LoK, also The Beginnings and the flashback with the Beifong family feud. Season 3's finale is top notch too.

Third/fourth on more material with the past avatars. There's so much I want to know about them. If I have to choose though, perhaps fifth season of LOK just to see more new technology being introduced in the avatar world, though perhaps also some flashbacks of New Republic's beginnings.

To be honest, I don't know all that much concerning the comics. D=

I think Avatar has the overall stronger episodes and I enjoyed seasons 2 and 3 the most. Korra got its bearings in Season 3, though.
    Welcome to the clubBay, Karous and Machomuu~ You all have great choices as far as episodes go ^-^ (especially The Begginings)

Anyways as for the which one is best question i see that everyone likes ATLA better xD
    Now dont hate me or anything but i guess im one of the few that like LOK better.
    Its for a couple reasons one of which is cause of the overall plot and storyline of each. Although I loved Team Avatar in ATLA and all of it I was much more interested in each new challenge presented in LOK's seasons. That being said I cannot say that any one season in ATLA was better (in my opinion) than LOK's third and fourth seasons. Especially third since it is my all time favorite season of both shows :3

Also i did start to finally make progress with the avatar comics thnx to Rhajat so ya hopefully ill finish those soon.

Oh ya btw i bookmarked this just cause id love to see peoples thoughts:

I found it interesting and it kinda got me hyped despite nothing completely confirmed but still xD

I personally would love Netflix to continue the Avatar story as a LOK season 5 but ill also be happy with the comic just more happy with the netflix series :D

Also heres another topic:
    What made you love LOK and/or ATLA? What first got you interested in the series as whole? And when did you start watching?
    I'm kinda interested to see who was with the series to begin with and who like got into it late :3

Last edited:

Margot

Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I think I started watching ATLA in 2012 while it was on Netflix. I remember that because then shortly after I finished, Korra aired.

I was never really interested in ATLA tbh, but then my brother started watching and insisted that I watch it too. I told him I'd watch just one episode to see if I'd like it and he had me watch The Puppet Master. Needless to say, I was hooked :D

Bay

Years
  • What made you love LOK and/or ATLA? What first got you interested in the series as whole? And when did you start watching?

Like Kyoko, I started the series pretty late. Was on a binge watch with ATLA a couple months before LOK, and when LOK began airing I started to follow.

I pretty much like the world and characters in it. Many of the cities are very nice and most of the characters are pretty likeable.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • i started to like avatar long time ago
    teenage years ;-;
    i just loved it right away
    because i always been a person who believes there is more out there
    i'm the one who loves tv shows that involve magic like my fav tv show of all time is charmed... another cartoon i used to love was winx club.... also about controlling certain elements and more

BUT even though avatar was never really about ''magic'' because the whole bending thing was like a natural thing in this series and they never called it magic really.... it still got my attention

its just freaking cool and so different, controlling the elements and good kiddo humour
    also goes deeper though, with good stories and feels/emotions

its one of the best cartoons ever.​

Dedenne1

Years
  • I think I started watching ATLA in 2012 while it was on Netflix. I remember that because then shortly after I finished, Korra aired.

I was never really interested in ATLA tbh, but then my brother started watching and insisted that I watch it too. I told him I'd watch just one episode to see if I'd like it and he had me watch The Puppet Master. Needless to say, I was hooked :D
    That is like the best episode to start with xD

What made you love LOK and/or ATLA? What first got you interested in the series as whole? And when did you start watching?

Like Kyoko, I started the series pretty late. Was on a binge watch with ATLA a couple months before LOK, and when LOK began airing I started to follow.

I pretty much like the world and characters in it. Many of the cities are very nice and most of the characters are pretty likeable.
    I also started pretty late. Although i saw like one or two episodes of ATLA when the series was running I never really understood any of it till i was a bit older. So i watched and finished ATLA one week before Korra began to air which got me pretty excited :D

@Pebbles
    "its one of the best cartoons ever."
    I agree :P

Anyways heres an easyish topic:
    Who are some of your favorite villians from either LOK or ATLA?
    And ya ik theres alot xD

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • zuko is the perfect villian
    period.{:3}

i mean, his sister is just a psychopath, thats just creepy-_-​

well, maybe not quite a psychopath until her endgame in the final episodes

think of her as jane fonda in Monster-in-Law, described as constantly nearing a psychotic break. she's on a slippery slope into madness ever since her mother's last words and departure, and her incessant seeking of self-fulfillment through power made sense considering her father's influence and impossible expectation of her in lieu of zuko's banishment. she's crazy, yes, but... can you blame her?

Margot

Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    ^ Couldn't have said it any better. When Azula cuts her hair and looks in the mirror, you really see it.

The best villains are in LoK for me. I loved Amon and the equalist movement, it just made so much sense and you kind of wonder why this type of tension hadn't showed up earlier in the series (or was at least hinted at in ATLA). I also adored Zaheer and the Red Lotus, they were my absolute favorites, especially in parallel with the White Lotus.

I didn't like her that much as a character, but I really did like the political arc of Kuvira and how she almost began to mirror Chin the Conqueror by the end of Book 4. I was honestly waiting for Korra to go full Kyoshi to stop her, but alas, she went down the Aang route for the most part.

I like the villains of Korra because it's easy to understand where they're coming from. Most of their stories fit the whole "the path to hell is paved with good intentions" line. They started out with noble-ish ideas and concerns, but chose violence as the way to execute them. Meanwhile, the Fire Lord was just a power hungry conqueror so it wasn't as easy to sympathize with him. As for Azula? I agree completely with the above assesment of her. Yeah, she's power hungry too, but given her upbringing, what else could we expect from her?

Bay

Years
  • Who are some of your favorite villians from either LOK or ATLA? from either LOK or ATLA?

I too would have to go with Zaheer and the Red Lotus. Zaheer is charismatic and his group also has interesting personalities. Kuvira took a bit for me to warm up, but I enjoyed her a lot in the end.

Concerning Azula, I prefer Zaheer and Kuvira more but I agree with a couple other people that her downfall spiral was very interesting to witness.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • oh god i hated amon
    HE WAS BORING :|
    the whole thing was boring really
    that i didn't enjoy so much
    the other series of korra after that were better​

Dedenne1

Years
  • Wow sorry about the little hiatus there guys. Since my subscribed threads seem to have stopped working i cant follow as many threads as usual :o

Anyways as for my favorite Villains I'd have to go with Kuvira and Zaheer. I like Zuko as a villain cause he has a drive and all and hes relateable to buuuut i like him more on Team Avatar xD.

I mean Zaheer just wants plain Chaos and has an entire order following him....plus he can fly which probably came as a shock to a lot of people.

And lets face it Kuvira is just cool as hell. Like seriously she betrayed her husband, betrayed Suyin and her entire family...and tried to take over all of Republic City. I mean she had the drive for restoring the earth kingdom and all but wow haha. I like how her rein ended though moreso than the others atleast.

Anyways new topic hmmm
    The animals in LOK and ATLA can be pretty weird and pretty cute. What was one of your favorites in the entire series?
    Oh ya heres a bunch of them if you dont know them rn http://avatar.wikia.com/wiki/Fauna_in_the_World_of_Avatar
    But i got my fav already :D

Bay

Years
  • The animals in LOK and ATLA can be pretty weird and pretty cute. What was one of your favorites in the entire series?

The fire farrets are adorable, especially Pabu. I also love the fire nation's turtle ducks.

Pebbles

BE YOUR OWN HERO
    Years
  • aangs bison of course, appa
    tumblr_m9eqzxyYkn1rss05ao1_250.gif

Years
  • Username: Aisu
    Favorite Element: Fire (isn't that ironic?)
    Favorite Character: Mako
    Favorite Episode: The one where Aang and Zuko learn true firebending from the grandmaster dragons

Cersei Lannister

Mad Queen
    Years
  • Okay, I just finished Korra. Oh my god it was absolutely amazing. I'm blown away.

Anyway, to answer some questions.

Favorite animal: Polar bear dog. How cool is Naga? Pabu is a close second though.

Favorite villain: Zaheer. What a bad ass, seriously. I just wonder how he became such a master bender in such a short time.

Dedenne1

Years
  • Sorry about that little hiatus guys ive been superrrrrr busy with life :3

But anyways for me its Pabu just cause hes so cute however i gotta say Naga is pretty cool and I love how powerful she is.

Anyways since all of you have watched Korra now (atleast i think) What'd you think of Wan and the story behind him? Did you think it fit with the entire series and all?
    5e9ed6adde399a77de82d310cc9947cc.jpg

Also welcome to the club @Aisu! Ill add you to the op now :D

Margot

Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    I kind of enjoyed the whole Wan story, granted, I don't think he's the most interesting avatar there has been. Since we saw the Lion Turtle (........is that what they were called??) take away bending from the Fire Lord, I'm glad we got to see them give the power out as well.

I really need to re-watch it because it has been so long I'm kind of fuzzy on all the details, but I remember enjoying it. I've always enjoyed the whole "balance" theme they've had going on in the series.

Back