• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Help Identify a Pokemon Card

Years
    • Seen Sep 10, 2016
    Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum but I thought you guys could help me out. I've owned this card since I was a kid (15 years ago or so) and bought it in a pack of other cards that are similar in style/foiling. Each one of them is a gen 1 pokemon since it was so long ago. My question is, can you help me identify what/where it's from? Or is it a fake all together.

A few details that might not show up in pictures:
    -It's not a sticker
    -The card # is No. 116
    -The back of the card is very faded/lightly printed compared to other Japanese cards I own
    -The card itself is smaller then both Japanese and American cards
    -It's hard to tell but buttom right of Pokeball on the back of the card says "Permission Copyright Co." But I can't completely make out what it says, it's very lightly printed

Thanks!

IMG_0188_zps5vxkoi4o.jpg

IMG_0189_zpsj9ist7tb.jpg

Years
  • It's a fake, and the biggest tells are:

1. It's all holo on a card from a set that does not have any all holo cards.
    2. Both the top and bottom border on the front are crazy thick. If one's thicker, the other's gotta be thinner because the only cause for that on official cards is a "miscut" where the cutting machine is misaligned and botches the cut.
    3. All official cards are practically identical in size. You said this one is smaller, and that's usually an indicator that you probably have a fake/counterfeit.
    4. The back of the card looks extremely discolored.
    5. "Permission Copyright Co" should not be anywhere on any card.

However, the 116 in the collector's number area is normal on early Japanese cards. Japanese cards initially didn't use a collector's number.

Back