• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: Welcome to the Strategies & Movesets forum for Sun & Moon!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Detox

banded or scarfed it's still scared of any burn or paralysis. Which yeah, base 71 even with a scarf It has to accept as a threat from things. still, that 121 base Attack Stab on a 150 base move. Scary. Good thing it still has only 80 accuracy.

Excadril 4x resisting rock along with conkeldurr and Bisharp still being a thing and resisting though - it won't be OP. Just a thing now

Well, if Tyrantrum is in the hands of a competent player, I don't think either of those will be a problem. I mean that's like saying [insert sweeper here] is afraid of status because it cripples it…which should be fairly obvious and not taken into account when discussing the usefulness of something lol.

As for those 3 Pokémon you mentioned go:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 144-169 (39.8 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 192-226 (70.5 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 199-234 (56.6 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I don't really think them any of them will enjoy switching into a banded Head Smash more than once. Scarf will obviously have less dmage output than this but thats obvs, and regardless of the set the Tyrantrum user will (should) be switching it out anyways.

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • Well, if Tyrantrum is in the hands of a competent player, I don't think either of those will be a problem. I mean that's like saying [insert sweeper here] is afraid of status because it cripples it…which should be fairly obvious and not taken into account when discussing the usefulness of something lol.

As for those 3 Pokémon you mentioned go:

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Excadrill: 144-169 (39.8 - 46.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Bisharp: 192-226 (70.5 - 83%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

252+ Atk Choice Band Tyrantrum Head Smash vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Conkeldurr: 199-234 (56.6 - 66.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I don't really think them any of them will enjoy switching into a banded Head Smash more than once. Scarf will obviously have less dmage output than this but thats obvs, and regardless of the set the Tyrantrum user will (should) be switching it out anyways.

If you're trying to tell me that it's not worth mentioning that Tyrantrum is extremely vulnerable to burn and paralysis, being two of the most major crippling statuses in the game, then you would be suggesting the converse of that statement as well, being that it's not worth mentioning that things like Poison Heal breloom, guts conkeldurr, and mega manectric aren't bothered by them. And that's... well, I think it's worth mentioning that Tyrantrum can be ruined by a single thunder wave or will o wisp unless you're carrying heal bell or aromatherapy.

And hey thanks for running the calcs for me, your excadrill one kinda proves my point, even though you neglected to show what excadrill (or bisharp, or Conkeldurr) can do back; or bother putting any sets up there that have more than a measly 4 EV's in either defense or HP lol. If you'd like those copy pastes to be a bit more conducive to your point - try switching some of those investments in attack or switch the choice band out on Tyrantrum for berries that weaken the super effective stabs when you run the calcs for what those three can do to tyrantrum. Since, y'know - the calcs you ran need stealth rocks, irregular investments, and adamant band tyrantnrum to even nab the possible 2HKO's - and both bisharp and Conkeldurr can return a one - two hit kill to tyrantrum - annnnd both have priority.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • If you're trying to tell me that it's not worth mentioning that Tyrantrum is extremely vulnerable to burn and paralysis, being two of the most major crippling statuses in the game, then you would be suggesting the converse of that statement as well, being that it's not worth mentioning that things like Poison Heal breloom, guts conkeldurr, and mega manectric aren't bothered by them. And that's... well, I think it's worth mentioning that Tyrantrum can be ruined by a single thunder wave or will o wisp unless you're carrying heal bell or aromatherapy.

And hey thanks for running the calcs for me, your excadrill one kinda proves my point, even though you neglected to show what excadrill (or bisharp, or Conkeldurr) can do back; or bother putting any sets up there that have more than a measly 4 EV's in either defense or HP lol. If you'd like those copy pastes to be a bit more conducive to your point - try switching some of those investments in attack or switch the choice band out on Tyrantrum for berries that weaken the super effective stabs when you run the calcs for what those three can do to tyrantrum. Since, y'know - the calcs you ran need stealth rocks, irregular investments, and adamant band tyrantnrum to even nab the possible 2HKO's - and both bisharp and Conkeldurr can return a one - two hit kill to tyrantrum - annnnd both have priority.

Remember that Bisharp is a tad slower than Tyrantrum, so it still won't like switching into a healthy Tyrantrum:

252+ Atk Life Orb Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 156-185 (51.1 - 60.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

The same applies to Conkeldurr:

252+ Atk Conkeldurr Mach Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Tyrantrum: 134-158 (43.9 - 51.8%) -- 7.8% chance to 2HKO

Detox

I don't know how you came to that conclusion, but what I was saying was that if you actually know how to play the game then you won't be putting it in a situation where it can be burned or paralyzed.

I'm just going to assume that you neglected to read (or comprehend) the second part of my post. Why on earth would anyone keep a Tyrantrum in on any of those things? It would only be common sense to switch it out or they would obviously take a chunk out of its health. I mean the worst case scenario here is it taking a Bisharp's Pursuit, which doesn't KO it. I didn't really prove your point at all since, unless you're playing some obscure metagame where switching isn't allowed, then Tyrantrum sort of does its job, which is punching holes in things. As far as the sets I used go, I used the banded set on Tyrantrum and even gave an explanation why! The other Pokémon's sets are common so yeah. I wasn't aware that that was against the rules.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Let's not throw around phrases like "if you actually know how to play the game", 'k?

But I thought we were talking about Tyrantrum's issues with status, not whether Banded STAB Head Smashes maul things (which it does)?

Detox

Let's not throw around phrases like "if you actually know how to play the game", 'k?

But I thought we were talking about Tyrantrum's issues with status, not whether Banded STAB Head Smashes maul things (which it does)?

It was actually the latter (to a much smaller extent) than the former. The whole status thing doesn't really make much sense. I mean it's pretty obvious that you won't want to switch it into something that would cripple it, but doesn't that statement fly for just about anything?

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Just posting to say i have recently become a philosopher. As i sit here pondering to myself lifes mysteries, i saw this thread and there a new question posed itself to me "why are you all terrible?". Im not quite sure of the answer yet but ill post here with my findings after ive run some tests in my laboratory. The same one you may or may not have been conceived in when the lab monkeys accidentally fell into the lab spill.

Regards elf. :D

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
    Years
  • I don't know how you came to that conclusion, but what I was saying was that if you actually know how to play the game then you won't be putting it in a situation where it can be burned or paralyzed.

I'm just going to assume that you neglected to read (or comprehend) the second part of my post. Why on earth would anyone keep a Tyrantrum in on any of those things? It would only be common sense to switch it out or they would obviously take a chunk out of its health. I mean the worst case scenario here is it taking a Bisharp's Pursuit, which doesn't KO it. I didn't really prove your point at all since, unless you're playing some obscure metagame where switching isn't allowed, then Tyrantrum sort of does its job, which is punching holes in things. As far as the sets I used go, I used the banded set on Tyrantrum and even gave an explanation why! The other Pokémon's sets are common so yeah. I wasn't aware that that was against the rules.

I get what you were saying with it, and I'm not assuming they won't switch out, I'm saying they all threaten Tyrantrum. Which, you seem to agree on now, after your response (and I understand, after re-reading your response) - and my point is that if those can all scare Tyrantrum out, it's not gonna dominate the metagame. Just be a presence, like I said in this preeeetty moderate post right here,

banded or scarfed it's still scared of any burn or paralysis. Which yeah, base 71 even with a scarf It has to accept as a threat from things. still, that 121 base Attack Stab on a 150 base move. Scary. Good thing it still has only 80 accuracy.

Excadril 4x resisting rock along with conkeldurr and Bisharp still being a thing and resisting though - it won't be OP. Just a thing now

Where you seem to have also misconstrued my saying status threatens it (as it does) as meaning everybody that uses this will obviously leave it in to take these status moves, and have it crippled the rest of the game. Whereas if you re-read, you will see the plain text " - banded or scarfed it's still scared of any burn or paralysis -" Now, if you disagree with this, you're welcome to instantly shut me up by playing some matches, allowing your rock head banded / scarfed Tyrantrum to take burns or paralysis, and go on to wreck shop, then share the replays. Because that would be disproving my statement, that "burns and paralysis scare it".

srinator

I am glad to say that I have found elf's lab and set fire to it, sadly he was not in the lab at the time.

Also @weird conversation going on, do you stop using Gallade,gyara,kyub just cause they are scared of status? I mean come on the meta is so very unimaginative that you will probably know what runs what by now if you are even a mediocre player, unless you go against elf who uses shit like ass vest king to wall you. But the thing is even to give it status the opponent has to switch, which as shown above is not a very good thing. But go bronzong!

KostK2Boss

Europe Confirmed!!!
    Years
  • Serebii said:
    Following the reveal over the past two weeks, rankings for the Battle of Hoenn have been posted on the Global Link. With this, a note came stating that the distribution of Tyrunt is not to begin today but will rather begin on February 17th following the standard maintenance. This is currently listed for Japan, but will likely be the case in the west. The Tyrunt is Level 10 with its Hidden Ability of Sturdy with the moves Tail Whip, Tackle, Roar and Stomp. We'll bring more as it comes
    Hah! Hah! You're a funny guy, Pokemon Company! You're like a comedian!

As i sit here pondering to myself lifes mysteries, i saw this thread and there a new question posed itself to me "why are you all terrible?"
    I'm not sure myself of the answer, but I'll take a wild guess and say it might have something to do with stuff like the above happening all the time.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    In the masters division, there were 44,291 participants. I'm on number 10,718. ^^
    I now wonder if I'll be able to get a Tyrunt on the 17th of February. :/

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    ah dammit we have to wait until the 17th for Rock Head Tyrantrums =(

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Showdown too?, Fuck!. I wanted to use it in the UU competition =(
    Yeah, Showdown doesn't update until things are legally distributed either. I wanted to use one in the UU ladder tourney too ;_;

So I made a different team that doesn't have Tyrantrum in it.

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • I ranked 11,296 on the Hoenn thing. Not bad.

The usage stats on Metagross corroborated my post about it too:
    Held Item

1 Metagrossite 41.5%
    2 Safety Goggles 17.2%
    3 Assault Vest 16.4%

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I have a Contrary Snivy, and wanna use it, but it needs Hidden Power for coverage so bad but breeding for a HP type suuuuucks

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • So some big changes to the Smogon Tiers today <-----link (some of em had it coming, let's be real)

Celebi moved from UU to OU
    Heracross moved from OU to UU
    Armaldo moved from NU to PU
    Pidgeot moved from RU to UU
    Gligar moved from RU to UU
    Heliolisk moved from RU to NU
    Glalie moved from NU to RU
    Salamence moved from OU to UU
    Manaphy moved from BL to OU
    Torkoal moved from NU to PU
    Sceptile moved from RU to UU
    Terrakion moved from OU to UU
    Pawniard moved from NU to PU
    Diancie moved from UU to OU
    Serperior moved from BL2 to UU
    Quagsire moved from RU to NU
    Virizion moved from RU to NU
    Claydol moved from RU to NU
    Mawile moved from RU to NU
    Raikou moved from UU to OU
    Kabutops moved from NU to RU
    Musharna moved from BL4 to NU
    Bouffalant moved from PU to NU
    Scyther moved from PU to NU
    Pinsir moved from OU to UU
    Jirachi moved from UU to OU
    Probopass moved from NU to PU
    Accelgor moved from NU to RU
    Starmie moved from UU to OU

No more Starmie in UU means Milotic's gonna see a jump in usage, methinks. And OU has lost a lot of its prominent fighting types... but then again it has Mega Lopunny and Megallade now so yeah.

And of course Serperior is jumping in the ranks.

Years
  • So some big changes to the Smogon Tiers today <-----link (some of em had it coming, let's be real)

Celebi moved from UU to OU
    Heracross moved from OU to UU
    Armaldo moved from NU to PU
    Pidgeot moved from RU to UU
    Gligar moved from RU to UU
    Heliolisk moved from RU to NU
    Glalie moved from NU to RU
    Salamence moved from OU to UU
    Manaphy moved from BL to OU
    Torkoal moved from NU to PU
    Sceptile moved from RU to UU
    Terrakion moved from OU to UU
    Pawniard moved from NU to PU
    Diancie moved from UU to OU
    Serperior moved from BL2 to UU
    Quagsire moved from RU to NU
    Virizion moved from RU to NU
    Claydol moved from RU to NU
    Mawile moved from RU to NU
    Raikou moved from UU to OU
    Kabutops moved from NU to RU
    Musharna moved from BL4 to NU
    Bouffalant moved from PU to NU
    Scyther moved from PU to NU
    Pinsir moved from OU to UU
    Jirachi moved from UU to OU
    Probopass moved from NU to PU
    Accelgor moved from NU to RU
    Starmie moved from UU to OU

No more Starmie in UU means Milotic's gonna see a jump in usage, methinks. And OU has lost a lot of its prominent fighting types... but then again it has Mega Lopunny and Megallade now so yeah.

And of course Serperior is jumping in the ranks.

My thoughts on some of these movements:

Starmie and Jirachi back in OU! I always knew Greninja was what caused them to be downstairs in UU but now that he's out of the way those two can start shining again. Same goes for Celebi and also Diancie. The latter's Mega having Earth Power really has helped it, but at least without Greninja it will be wrecking a lot more stuff now.

Quagsire though... seems to be getting worse eh? First it got hampered by the loss of perma-rain and the road has only gotten more bleak since then.

Terrakion and Heracross' fall was probably likely due to the presence of Gallade and Lopunny's Megas, so no surprise they were going to get eclipsed by said Megas, given one has impressive coverage and the other with near-unresisted coverage that not even Ghosts are safe from.

Serperior was expected to jump now that Contrary is a thing, and Sceptile's Mega managed to get it into UU... damn.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back