• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Opinion on competitive battling?

Thoughts on Competitive battling?

• I enjoy it!

Votes: 30 51.7%
  • I dislike it.

Votes: 7 12.1%
  • Neutral

Votes: 14 24.1%
  • You suck Chimchar

Votes: 7 12.1%

• Total voters
Years
  • I apologize if it's in the wrong place.

What do you think of competitive battling, EV-leveling, IV values, competitive movesets, or anything else related to the subject?

From my signature, my stance is quite clear. IMO, it's ridiculous -- I thought/think Pokemon were something that's not meant to take seriously. I was shocked such things such as EVs and IVs existed; I learned about that only 2 or so years ago. On top of that, I find the competitive battling community [from my experience] to be rude elitists.

EDIT: POLL UP!

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    I used to like competitive Pokemon during Gens 1-3. Then Stealth Rock came along and I decided I never wanted to play competitively again. So I haven't played hardcore since Regice was OU... lol

EmeraldSerenade

babyboy
    Years
  • I think its quite fun. It get's tedious from time to time though, so if I feel like I want to take a break from it, I do. I recently started competitive battling this year, and im not the best, but i don't suck either.

BTW, I'm not a rude elitist xD

Years
  • I think its quite fun. It get's tedious from time to time though, so if I feel like I want to take a break from it, I do. I recently started competitive battling this year, and im not the best, but i don't suck either.

BTW, I'm not a rude elitist xD

Maybe it's because I went on Smogon for a while to try to see what the fuss is all about. People were rude to each other wayyy too much, then I got sick of it and left before they could target me since I always lost.

Stairmaster

Banned
    Years
    • Seen May 31, 2010
    I wouldn't base my opinion of competitive battling on Smogon. Smogon is just something else really. Many of the people are completely illogical and very rude also. (And also their jokes weren't funny but that's a different story)

So you really shouldn't deny competitive battle a chance just because of a message board.

Åzurε

Shi-shi-shi-shaw!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2013
    Never had the chance to actually try it, but I like EV training and IV breeding and egg moves and stuff. After I'm done, I have nobody tough enough to try and fight against.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • I'm starting to get into it. I'm still pretty dumb when it comes to EV training and IV breeding, but hey, it gives me something to do. It's just getting to the point where I have the Power Items to make it a little easier that I'm finding really difficult. Apparently I'm bad at the Battle Factory >_>
    The whole elitist attitude doesn't get to me, though. I played WoW for a few years in a high-rated guild, so the competitive and elitist attitudes don't sway me too much.

Timbjerr

[color=Indigo][i][b]T-o-X-i-C[/b][/i][/color]
    Years
  • competitive-level battles are fun to watch. In fact, I'm watching some PBR battles on youtube right now. XD

It takes a while to get into it, but when you do get the chance to build a good team and take it to wifi, it can be a lot more fun than the in-game trainers for sure. XD

.Gamer

»»───knee─►
    Years
  • ITT: We insult Smogon because we aren't good.

Seriously, if you don't talk out your ass or insult an established member, nobody is gonna harass you. If you post stupid stuff like "subpunch blissey because it lures in ttar!" you deserved to get ridiculed.

Smogonites actually know what they are talking about and are good at battling *gasp and shudder*

Granted, there are some users who are worse than others, but not all of them are uppity 'holier than thou' users.

=/

I wanted to vote for You Suck Chimchar Dick, just because it was an option.

I voted for the top option though becaues comp pokemon is fun, in game is arse boring.

Also, dont even try to come back with the "unoriginal card." smogon doesn't have an elite team of ninjas that force you to use their sets. If you don't want to use them, don't. The sets are just posted because they *shock and awe* work.

shookie

Often scatters things.
    Years
  • Hah, not that I disagree with you .Gamer, but I think responses like that are why people don't like Smogon. :p

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • erm I only dislike it when my opponents get hyped up about it. Its okay i guess, but I dont ev train or breed to the fullest and I really dont care about power. When I am competitive battling I use my favorites ^^

Years
  • ITT: We insult Smogon because we aren't good.

Seriously, if you don't talk out your ass or insult an established member, nobody is gonna harass you. If you post stupid stuff like "subpunch blissey because it lures in ttar!" you deserved to get ridiculed.

Smogonites actually know what they are talking about and are good at battling *gasp and shudder*

Granted, there are some users who are worse than others, but not all of them are uppity 'holier than thou' users.

=/

I wanted to vote for You Suck Chimchar Dick, just because it was an option.

I voted for the top option though becaues comp pokemon is fun, in game is arse boring.

Also, dont even try to come back with the "unoriginal card." smogon doesn't have an elite team of ninjas that force you to use their sets. If you don't want to use them, don't. The sets are just posted because they *shock and awe* work.

Plz dun hurt me, oh mighty one! [Why would I come up with the unoriginal card?]

HOWEVER. If they are tried-and-true, obviously people would look for weaknesses then counter them, and render the tried-and-true obsolete.

Last edited:

RuRuBell

Beeef
    Years
  • I don't do it myself...I find it to complicated and sort of a waste if I'm only playing the game. I get on just fine without it. I don't battle online anyway, I don't really find it enjoyable. Plus I find that some of the people get really serious about it. Like, relax, it's just a game...

Plus, I feel kind of bad when this scenario happens. Let's say I catch a Pokemon, and its 'nature' isn't considered a good one for it. I feel bad releasing it after...Sort of weird, I know, since I just said it's only a game...but I feel like I'm rejecting it...

Polizard

Awesome Trainer
    Years
  • i love competitive battling i really enjoy battling other people but i dont Ev train or anything similar But i still have fun

Years
  • I've never done EV-battling. :'P Not that it is complicated or anything, I just think you only use a few kinds of pokemon that are really good (OU) and some aren't (the rest), which makes it boring since you cannot have a team of favorite pokemon. Plus, many have the same pokemon in every team (Garchomp, Blissey, Weavile, Gyarados etc..).
    But its fun to watch though, sometimes. ^^

Sophisticated.

It's all about the Reaction.
    Years
  • I'm neutral on the Whole Competitive Battling. I love how they had IVs,EVs and such. But when i played pokemon I just raced with my friends for who had the most level 100. To Be Honest that made it fun. But when I started using the internet and around when Diamond/Pearl came out. My friends talked about EV's,Natures,Macho Brace, and IV's. I got all confused and asked them what it was. They told me to go on Serebii to check, and finally I found out what it was. It completely changed my Pokemon Gameplay. I found out there were EV's back in the old generations. I looked at my 16-Purely Spammed Elite Four Pokemon and just said "Wow. I had a lot of time." Then I started to watch Pokemon Battles on Youtube. It's enjoyable to watch but I suck at battling with other people. Anyways. I'm Neutral on all of this. (:

TheGinger63

PKMN Trainer
    Years
  • I was never really good at competitive battling. I eventually got the hang of EVing pokemon, but that took a while to do and I had very poor team construction so i gave up EVing. I am not a fan of competitive battling and it is a waste of time to EV pokemon to be the champion of a video game. If i battle at all I like to keep things simple; train my favorite pokemon to lvl 100 and kick my friends' asses :D

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • I've never battled competatively =(

I'd like to try it, but it would have to be with Pokémon i've trained and raised myself. Which becomes a bit of a stumbling block when I don't have a DS or any newer gens.

Zeta Sukuna

Descendant of the Inchlings
    Years
  • I am neutral on wi-fi battling, since I have literally no time to EV train, but Shoddy battling is a lot easier, because I don't really have to waste days EV training, and catching pokemon with the perfect attributes. Listen, I just don't have the time to focus on catching that Adamant Larvitar in order to make it into a sweeper. Or getting a Togekiss, and not recieve any moves that it's supposed to learn after it evolves into said form.

Back