• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Rate my 5th Gen Drought team

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
Currently this is my Drought(sun) Team in the 5th generation:

Flareon @ Air Balloon
Flash Fire
252 SAtk,252 Spe, 4 HP
Modest Nature (-Atk, +SAtk)
- Fire Blast
- Hidden Power(Ice)
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

This Flareon is just a lead instead of Ninetales to lure out weather teams.
It has Toxic to stall(sometimes), and i gave it some Offensive moes to counter...er.. Hail uses possibly.

Venusaur @ Leftovers
Chlorophyll
252 Spe, 252 SAtk, 4 HP
Timid Nature (-Atk, +Spe)
- Giga Drain
- Synthesis
- Solarbeam
- Leech Seed

This is my Venusaur, which is going to take advantage of the sun and solarbeam/giga drain everything. I'm shifty about its EV's seeing as I don't know what kind of Venusaur too make this one. I can stall some pokemons but not a whole lot.

Ninetales @ Leftovers
Drought(Obviously)
252 HP, 252 SAtk, 4 Spe
Timid Nature(-Atk, +Spe)
-Dark Pulse
-Nasty Plot
-Solarbeam
-Overheat

The mother of 5th gen Drought Teams... I saw from one of the smogon teams that they hadn't put ninetales in front, so I gave it a try.

Charizard @ Life Orb
Solar Power
252 Spe, 252 SAtk, 4 HP
Modest Nature
-Dragon Pulse
-Flamethrower
-Overheat
-Solarbeam

This Charizard... I feel that it's Messed up somehow. I can't say anything else.

Now, the last two of my team is completely random and if you could find alternatives it would be appreciated.

Haxorus @ Life Orb
Mold Breaker
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
Jolly Nature(-Satk, + Spe)
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw
-Shadow Claw
-Brick Break

Haxorus.. I put it in this team because it's one of my favorite dragons(next to Garchomp =P) the traditional dragon dancer Haxorus, also has brick break to break reflects and any steels. Shadow Claw is there for a Filler, and i could of course replace it with the more traditional Earthquake. it's very unrelated to the others and I would like it if it could be replaced along with my other Dragon.

Salamence @ Lum Berry
Intimidate
252 Atk, 252 SAtk, 4 Spe
Hardy Nature( Neutral)
-Draco Meteor
-Dragon dance
-Earthquake
-Dragon Claw

I also need this MixMence removed. well it has Draco meteor as a first move, then dragon dancing to back up the -2 Satk drop. Nothing much to say.

Any kind of change would be appreciated, Thanks!

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
okay...

four of your pokemon are only special. Your two phisical sweepers dont have as much attack as you think. haxorus CB could work better. and earthquake on him is essencial, because haxorus can kill a lot of levitaters whit it.

replace lava plume of flareon whit superpower. Toxic is useless, because your team isnt staller.

venusaur could ve a great mixed sweeper in sun. Use it whit growt an a phisical move like EQ.

Ninetales, if it hasn't EVs on speed, why timid? change EVs or nature.

charizard. when you chage it, it will die quickly. use it choiced and replace flamethower for an HP or STAB air slash.

Haxorus. faster, but not enougt powerfull. change the set.

Salamence. try to use it whit Fire blast instad DM.

Otrher thigs:

SR is one of your most important weakness. 4 pokemon of your team are weak to them.

if you lose your ninetales and haxorus, tyranitar makes you a GG.
If you lose yor haxorus and you salamence, any good special wall, could make you a GG too (chansey or blissey)

Latios kill all your team.

Years
This is a pretty nice team, but there are definitely some improvements that can be made. The first is that Latias, one of the most Anti-Sun Pokemon could give you some problems if Haxorus isn't at +1. Maybe you could use Scarf Haxorus instead of DD Haxorus? It still packs a ton of power and completely devours Latias and Latios. Flareon and Charizard aren't great in the OU metagame. To replace Charizard, we'll go with another Stealth Rock weak Pokemon in Volcarona, which is one of the most dangerous sun abusers, and Starmie to support it with Rapid Spin, so that Volcarona or its team members don't lose a ton of health when they switch in. Use the following sets:

Volcarona @ Chesto Berry
Modest Nature
Trait: Flame Body
160 HP / 252 SpA / 96 Spe
-Quiver Dance
-Rest
-Bug Buzz
-Flamethrower/Fiery Dance

While it risks being walled by Heatran, this is easily the most dangerous Volcarona set, since even Blissey is hard pressed to defeat it, and Heatran loses to your Dragons, so just be sure to take it out before you set up a sweep with Volcarona.

As for Starmie:

Starmie @ Life Orb/Leftovers
4 HP/252 SpA/252 Speed
Timid Nature
Trait: Natural Cure
-Rapid Spin
-Recover/Hidden Power Fire
-Ice Beam/Psychic
-Thunderbolt

Even if Starmie's main STAB is hindered by sun being up, it still resists Water type attacks brought on by Rain teams and can retaliate with Thunderbolt. Ice Beam eats Gliscor and Psychic can crush Fighting types like Conkeldurr and Machamp. If you see Recover as a waste of time, then use Hidden Power Fire [which sun will boost] to destroy Ferrothorn and Forretress.

Also, your Venusaur could be a lot more effective as a mixed attacker, since it will then be able to beat Heatran and Tyranitar, Growth boosts its Special Attack and Attack levels to monstrous heights in sun, so be sure to abuse that, and Chlorophyll makes sure it already has the speed to sweep.

Venusaur @ Leftovers
252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
Trait: Chlorophyll
-Earthquake
-Growth
-Hidden Power Fire
-Giga Drain

Giga Drain grants STAB and Recovery, Hidden Power Fire gets a boost from sun and roasts Ferrothorn, Forretress and other Grass, Bug and Steel types. Earthquake makes sure Tyranitar and Heatran don't beat you.

Finally, try this Salamence

Salamence @ Life Orb/Lum Berry
116 Atk / 216 SpA / 176 Spe
Rash/Naive Nature
Trait: Intimidate
-Fire Blast [boosted by Sun, beats Ferrothorn which would otherwise wall you]
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance
-Dragon Claw/Outrage [I prefer Outrage, especially when paired with a Lum Berry, but I understand being locked into it isn't always optimal as Steels can switch in on the second turn and end your sweep].

Years
  • Age 16
  • Seen May 28, 2019
I'd like to suggest replacing Flareon. It's generally bad and really can't do anything to any OU Pokemon, and the fact that it's your lead doesn't help you at all. (It loses to all weather leads anyway.)

First of all, I'd say replace it with either Scarf Darmanitan or Specs Heatran. Heatran can beat the Latis and generally beats most anti-sun Pokemon and Darmanitan is a huge monster in sun. (iirc OHKO's Latios in sun)

I'm not fond of Salamence in sun teams, it just adds another huge SR weakness and really it can't abuse fire moves as well as Hydreigon. Maybe replace it with that? I'd totally make it Specs and a lead to weaken the weather leads.

That's really all that I can suggest now. I don't really see Haxorus doing anything to your team so maybe replace it with the Starmie suggested above?

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
IIRC, Giga Drain is illegal with DW Venusaur's Chlorophyll:
-Growth
-Seed Bomb
-Earthquake/Return
-Hidden Power (Fire)
Nature: Lonely
EVs: 252 Atk/4 SAtk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb
Ability: Chlorophyll

I'd use Fire Blast instead of Overheat on Ninetales because Overheat kills off your Nasty Plot boosts.

I'd also use Fire Blast instead of Draco Meteor on your MixMence because it benefits from the sun.

Life Orb + Solar Power + Stealth Rock kills off Charizard quickly; change the item to Choice Specs/Scarf. You can also use Air Slash and Fire Blast instead of Overheat and Flamethrower.

Use Earthquake instead of Shadow Claw on Haxorus as another way to deal with Steells; a supereffective Shadow Claw does less than a neutral STAB Outrage

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
Just a quick question, Why is Giga Drain + Chlorophyll Illegal?
Also, can somebody recommend me a good darmanitan and Haxorus build? I plan to use a choice band Hax right now.

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Just a quick question, Why is Giga Drain + Chlorophyll Illegal?
Also, can somebody recommend me a good darmanitan and Haxorus build? I plan to use a choice band Hax right now.
Giga Drain + Chlorophyll is illegal because the DW Bulbasaur are all level 10 males and male DW Pokemon can't pass down their abilities.

As for Darmanitan:
-Flare Blitz
-Rock Slide
-Earthquake/Superpower
-U-turn
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spe
Item: Life Orb/Choice Band/Choice Scarf
Ability: Sheer Force

And Haxorus:
-Outrage
-Earthquake
-Brick Break
-Dragon Claw/Dual Chop
Nature: Adamant
EVs: 36 HP/252 Atk/220 Spe
Item: Choice Band
Ability: Mold Breaker

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
Alright, thanks.
So, an EQ will hit flying types and pokemon using levitate or air balloon

(Just a quick question, how do you put your sig?)

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
Alright, thanks.
So, an EQ will hit flying types and pokemon using levitate or air balloon

(Just a quick question, how do you put your sig?)
Nah, (intact) Air Balloon users and Flying Pokemon aren't hit by EQ at all; EQ only bypasses Levitate and Wonder Guard.

Years
  • Seen Sep 6, 2011
I like Platinumdude's moves for Haxourus and Darmanitan. I came up with seperate moves but I'm new to competitive battling and all. This is also for if you wanted to use them in like a double battle.

Haxorus:
Dragon pulse- beats dragon types which it is weak to
Dragon dance- boosts speed and attack
Rock slide- trumps ice which it is weak to
Sunny Day- look at Darmanitan's moves
Item: something that boosts defense (haxourus seems like the type that dominates with attack power and low on defense maybe?)

Darmanitan:
Flamethrower- heightened by Sunny Day
Solarbeam- heightened by Sunny day, trumps ground, rock, and water which it is weak to
Hammer arm- lowers speed, trumps dark which it is weak to
Gyro ball- benefits from loss of speed from hammer arm

if not a double battle then switch hammer arm maybe to U-turn to trump dark and gyro ball to phycic maybe to trump ghost.
Item: Iron ball (lowers speed) or Razor claw/Scope lens (boosts critical hit ratio)

just an idea hope it helps a little = )

Years
  • Seen Oct 10, 2011
Haxorus:
Item: something that boosts defense (haxourus seems like the type that dominates with attack power and low on defense maybe?)

Darmanitan:
Solarbeam- heightened by Sunny day, trumps ground, rock, and water which it is weak to

if not a double battle then switch hammer arm maybe to U-turn to trump dark and gyro ball to phycic maybe to trump ghost.
Item: Iron ball (lowers speed) or Razor claw/Scope lens (boosts critical hit ratio)

I've been in competitive battling enough to know which move goes best with which.

a Gyro ball on a very fast darmanitan, even with the Hammer arm drops, will not have much effect. and Haxorus' Dragon Pulse would do little to next damage because of its horrendous SpA.

I think my team is all good, do you guys request locks here.....?

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Feb 4, 2024
mixed Darmanitan dont work. Zen Mode maybe, but if it is a subsitute.

Vrai

can you feel my heart?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Oct 24, 2022
I like Platinumdude's moves for Haxourus and Darmanitan. I came up with seperate moves but I'm new to competitive battling and all. This is also for if you wanted to use them in like a double battle.

Haxorus:

Darmanitan:

just an idea hope it helps a little = )
Those moves are not very effective. Haxorus and Darmanitan both have monstrous Attack scores, and Dragon Pulse/Solar Beam etc are attacks that use their terrible Special Attack stats. Darmanitan is not weak to Dark, and Gyro Ball is weak on a moderately fast Pokemon like Darmanitan (and offers poor coverage to boot!). The sets PlatinumDude gave are the absolute best sets discovered so far for each, although Haxorus can also run Swords Dance or Dragon Dance over either Brick Break or your alternate Dragon-type STAB.

Zen Mode/Mixed Darmanitan is absolutely worthless and not useful at all. Sheer Force is the only way to go with it.

Back