• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] ROM Hacking Newsletter 2008 | Issue 1 - 18

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dratii

Working on something new...
Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    Ah. That was a very nice issue Dshayabusa Thrace. I clap my hand for the RHN team. I don't know why I just really enjoyed that issue.

Ripper

The Dark Knight
    Years
  • There's one other somewhere in there as well, I think it's in Kawaii's article as well...

EDIT: "there were no tools and we had to learned how Gameboy Advanced ROMs work"

But it's not really that important, we all get the meaning.

destinedjagold

You can contact me in PC's discord server...
    Years
    • Seen Dec 23, 2023
    Some typos. :P

Hacking News...
    "Hack Rating System
    RHN will follows a..."

The Gradual Faltering of Hacking...
    "...generation of hackers (myself included) doesn't know...

And a few more but I'm getting hungry now. :P
    anyways, nice new newsletter.

keep up the great work~

zel 2.0

Gold Remaker
    Years
  • Took a while to read everything. It's good that Spanish hacks also get the chance to get reviewed (just to be fair to everyone), I'm happy for that ^^

Enjoyed reading the interview with DJ (was one of the people that I was looking for seeing in an interview) does people still call you Time...? hahaha! XD

We were missing one or two non-HotW reviews, but still the issue was quite long and interesting. Good job!

the "ShinyGold Era" OMG! :laugh:

Blitzballer

Sarcasm: now GMO-free.
    Years
  • Kawaii made a mistake.
    "These knew hacks aren't as original as the old ones."
    Do I still get 10 points?

AHHHH! I'm going to hide in a corner...
    Thrace already pointed that one out to me...but he didn't change it like I asked... :P I saw a few more errors in my article, but I'm not going to point them out.

...maybe they won't notice?!

I thought this issue was really good, just because we had a good mix of different sections. We should start the "The ROM Hacking Newsletter Complete HoTY News Coverage"! It sounds legitimate, I think?

{EDIT:
    "there were no tools and we had to learned how Gameboy Advanced ROMs work"

Is it pick on Kawaii, Inc. day? :'(
    "There were no tools and we they had to learned how Gameboy Advanced ROMs work[ed]"

"...generation of hackers (myself included) doesn't know...

[ACCOMPLISHEDLAUGH] Ah-ha! [/ACCOMPLISHEDLAUGH] "Generation" is a collective noun (meaning it's singular). "Of hackers" is a prepositional phrase! Which means...

DRUMROLL PLEASE!

"doesn't" is correct!

Kawaii, Inc.: 1 PokeCommunity: 5 :classic:}

Last edited:

TB Pro

Old-timer
    Years
  • Great Issue, guys! I'm getting really excited about the HotY this year! I agree with the review of Keyra, It was a great hack, with some errors. I totally agree with Kawaii's testament about today's hackers...Even If I may be one of them. The Beginner's Corner was great too. I think it may help some people, as when i first tried XSE, I was like WTF, because I couldn't figure it out. Ooh, cool! I didn't know that about Fuchsia City and the OW change. That's a cool tip, although I don't know what I could use it for:P The interview was quite interesting. I spotted an error in it, though. jagolddemium says (12:25 PM):
    I don't know...
    Isn't green, like the rest. Overall, the issue was quite nice, although it was a bit short. Luck~

Hellsing

The bird of Hermes is my name
    Years
  • There's always a big gap in my heart when I finish the RHN and have nothing to do...
    But it's always filled in when the new issue is posted.

Good job Thrace, the RHN never fails to impress.

Ninja Caterpie

AAAAAAAAAAAAA
    Years
  • Hah, another great article thingo section whatchamacallit.
    Beginner's Corner, yeah I guess that'd be useful to beginners...?I like the new version a lot
    Anyway, good overall, BOL for next time.

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Oct 21, 2019
    Just letting you all know that Neti resigned from doing the map rating. Thrace has asked me to take his place, and now I will be rating the maps instead of Neti. And no... I won't go easy on you xD

ハリマ☆ハリオ

播磨拳児
    Years
    • Seen Jun 5, 2009
    It was short, but at least how it depicts the state of the ROM hacking scene is accurate.

I think you're being a little too light on Spanish hacks, though. When graphics become overused (or just shared) and you're able to think "oh! that style seems familiar"…? I think that's a point of failure.

Thrace

@tion
    Years
    • Seen Oct 2, 2016
    Again, pretty interesting, but I think a single review isn't enough.
    Try to make some more next time ;)
    Having several reviews per issue causes a few issues. For one we could simply run out of hacks to review. Theres also the chance that people will take reviews less seriously if we have too many per issue.

No one interviews me ;)

But then again I have never completed a hack.
    Well we can't just interview anyone, it has to be someone who has contributed a great deal to the community or is well known. The two should go hand in hand though, don't you think? >_>

Thrace already pointed that one out to me...but he didn't change it like I asked... :P
    Yeah, sorry about that, I could have sworn I changed it. :(

Great Issue, guys! I'm getting really excited about the HotY this year! I agree with the review of Keyra, It was a great hack, with some errors. I totally agree with Kawaii's testament about today's hackers...Even If I may be one of them. The Beginner's Corner was great too. I think it may help some people, as when i first tried XSE, I was like WTF, because I couldn't figure it out. Ooh, cool! I didn't know that about Fuchsia City and the OW change. That's a cool tip, although I don't know what I could use it for:P The interview was quite interesting. I spotted an error in it, though. jagolddemium says (12:25 PM):
    I don't know...
    Isn't green, like the rest. Overall, the issue was quite nice, although it was a bit short. Luck~
    Argh, darn I always seem to miss one.

Surf

Years
    • Age 29
    • Rust
    • Seen Jul 31, 2011
    Thrace already pointed that one out to me...but he didn't change it like I asked... :P I saw a few more errors in my article, but I'm not going to point them out.

...maybe they won't notice?!

I thought this issue was really good, just because we had a good mix of different sections. We should start the "The ROM Hacking Newsletter Complete HoTY News Coverage"! It sounds legitimate, I think?

{EDIT:

Is it pick on Kawaii, Inc. day? :'(
    "There were no tools and we they had to learned how Gameboy Advanced ROMs work[ed]"

[ACCOMPLISHEDLAUGH] Ah-ha! [/ACCOMPLISHEDLAUGH] "Generation" is a collective noun (meaning it's singular). "Of hackers" is a prepositional phrase! Which means...

DRUMROLL PLEASE!

"doesn't" is correct!

Kawaii, Inc.: 1 PokeCommunity: 5 :classic:}

Oh yeah and Kawaii Inc picks up some major points

Neti

Inactive
    Years
  • Just letting you all know that Neti resigned from doing the map rating. Thrace has asked me to take his place, and now I will be rating the maps instead of Neti. And no... I won't go easy on you xD
    I couldnt think of anyone better for this job ;-)
    btw maybe you should know that i didnt resign cause i am too lazy, i dont have enough time because of school and another project that doesnt have anything to do with rom hacking

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back