• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Chit-Chat: In which we welcome back Shining Raichu from his extended vacation

Status
Not open for further replies.

droomph

weeb
Years
I have no idea what the job market's job in my city, but the economy in the US is awful so I guess not so good. I guess I should just look harder for a job, but even getting one is hard.

Remember, you have to have a college degree and work experience to work!

…I don't get it, honestly.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Remember, you have to have a college degree and work experience to work!

…I don't get it, honestly.

Neither do I, as if the economy isn't bad enough, now employers are looking for experienced workers. But really, how the hell is a person going to gain work experience when you can't work because everyone is asking for experienced workers??

Seems like the only option to get this experience is by working at a fast-food joint, & even then, I'm not going to hold my breath...

droomph

weeb
Years
Neither do I, as if the economy isn't bad enough, now employers are looking for experienced workers. But really, how the hell is a person going to gain work experience when you can't work because everyone is asking for experienced workers??

Seems like the only option to get this experience is by working at a fast-food joint, & even then, I'm not going to hold my breath...

Well, start sellin' them drugs, because you can't get any money doing real jobs, because there are none!

…Just kidding don't sell drugs that's awful. Maybe caffeine, but no drugs whatsoever.

Years
  • Seen Mar 29, 2015
Well, start sellin' them drugs, because you can't get any money doing real jobs, because there are none!

…Just kidding don't sell drugs that's awful. Maybe caffeine, but no drugs whatsoever.

Now that you've mentioned it, I think that's why people are dealing drugs in the first place. I can't be too sure about that, though...

droomph

weeb
Years
Well, where I worked, it was dirty around where the sinks were, and the floors in the kitchen were really dirty, and as well, the kitchen staff were inappropriate. Rather often. The only decent thing there was the decent waitress staff that actually had some morals.
I read somewhere that fast food joints generally are supposed to have high hygiene standards…

besides the guys who check the health administration or whatever

Sableye~

Back to PC~
Years
  • Seen Jan 4, 2018
Someone I know works as a cook in a restaurant, and he's never remarked about it being dirty or anything. Not fast food, though. It's actually kind of fancy there, if anything.

I actually was at a fast food place a few years ago near that city, and we seen a roach just casually strolling across the counter. The people who worked there knew it, and didn't care. X]

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Mondays aren't that bad

I actually took Mondays and Fridays off so my week feels shorter, plus I don't get the Monday Dread lol

I've heard people tell me how terrible they are, but they've never actually had experience.

Care to share?

It's horrible. Just to sum it up:

- Minimum wage with no raises
- Typically no health benefits, dental, etc.
- Nothing to guarantee long-term employment (you can be laid off for nothing)
- Store discounts are poor, if any, and generally are store-specific (means if you work at Tim's downtown, you don't get 30% off at Tim's elsewhere)
- High hygiene standards for chains results in exploitation
- Clients are generally impolite, impatient (see: "fast" food) and intolerant
- Breaks are not guaranteed
- You smell like your work all the time, which becomes disgusting

Fast food sucks.

Years
  • Seen Aug 25, 2015
Fast food sounds horrible I dont think I would work fast food unless there was really no other choice. Retail is not much better than that sounds though :/

droomph

weeb
Years
Wow, no wonder the Mexicans take that job. Only one that white people won't take :P

Although I would think that there's at least one restaurant owner who actually cares about his employees. They can't all be trash like that…

Years
I would never work in a restaurant, let alone anything involving food. Fast food would be alright but I admit I'm such a terrible failure in the kitchen lol.

I'm scared of touching hot things, sharp knives and the worst of all, having to work very fast to serve the customers. I am not suited to fast jobs well, and thank god I didn't study in food preparation and hospitality.

Yusshin

♪ Yggdrasil ♪
Years
Wow, no wonder the Mexicans take that job. Only one that white people won't take :P

Although I would think that there's at least one restaurant owner who actually cares about his employees. They can't all be trash like that…

My boss at Subway had a temporary foreign worker.

He lived in his basement and worked 50h/week or more. He never saw his paycheques; the boss kept them in order to "pay his rent." This guy did some horrible hours, too - sometimes 12h shifts without breaks!

Sure, we got free pop and a free six-inch sub per shift, but what he did to that guy was just... awful.

I used to have a website that listed a lot of worker exploitation cases in different industries / companies. Tim Horton's, Subway and MacDonald's were on there a lot, along with some other oddballs like Walmart. 98% of the list was fast food.

Years
I actually worked at a McDonald's restaurant as one of the training jobs I did in my final years of high school. I had to do one of those tasks I hated the most - cleaning.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
I actually worked at a McDonald's restaurant as one of the training jobs I did in my final years of high school. I had to do one of those tasks I hated the most - cleaning.

Probably the world's biggest nightmare job, even at home. I can't believe how much cleaning I've skipped when I was young lol.
Jigglypuffanimation_zps153df905.gif

Years
Probably the world's biggest nightmare job, even at home. I can't believe how much cleaning I've skipped when I was young lol.
Jigglypuffanimation_zps153df905.gif

On top of that, I have to always help my mother with her grocery shopping, hanging up/taking down clothes and drying the dishes. Man being a slave is no fun at all lol.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
And to think many Africans were real slaves once... *shudder*

How would you think to start cleaning my cat's... er... 'belongings'?

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
Years
On top of that, I have to always help my mother with her grocery shopping, hanging up/taking down clothes and drying the dishes. Man being a slave is no fun at all lol.

o_o.. You're complaining over simple chores?

Dude.. if your mom does so much for you and gives you a roof over your head, cooks for you, etc.. then you should WANT to help her.

Honestly, I would never want to work in fast food, but if it came down to it, I think doing it would be better than sitting on your butt getting unemployment cheques from the government.. unless something happened and I genuinely needed to be on disability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back