• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any safe anime recommendations?

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
Well, I've been thinking of watching another anime, probably with the Action, Adventure or either Slice of Life genre, and it may have some moe aspect (this one is optional), and I'm wondering if there's any anime that doesn't have any kind of fan-service, and it has to refrain from cussing and swearing, as well. It ought to have some story that is enjoyable to watch, too.

So, any kind of recommendations here?

Years
Are you watching Sub or Dub, they tend to take the swearing out of Dubs.

Sword art online may be ok lots of action and adventure, there is a bit of Fan service, nothing over the top though.

Full metal Alchemist (the original or brotherhood), a small amount of swearing in the sub, lots of action in it.

Steins;Gate not really action, but fun and interesting to watch.

They are all three really popular animes, and I would really recommend them

pkmin3033

Precure. You can't get much safer than that - there is no fanservice, no cussing, and plenty of action. It's a classic magical girl franchise, with all that entails. I'd say if you want one with an enjoyable plot, then Suite, Splash Star, Fresh or Happiness Charge would be your best bet; those are the best balanced between action and story. If you want something a bit darker, try HeartCatch; it has a very distinctive art style and a significantly darker tone...which diminishes it in my opinion, but it's a fan favourite. If you find the others too "kiddy" for your tastes, HeartCatch will fill that void. If you want straight-out action with little plot, you can't go wrong with Smile.

Years
Okay, so what level of fanservice is acceptable? Are bikinis that happen to be there and are not the focus acceptable? (ie - in Squid Girl/Ika Musume, where it's set in an ocean town and more specifically mostly in and around a beach-side diner.)

My recommendations will vary by just what you define as fanservice.

Azumanga Daioh is a fun comedy one with basically no fanservice whatsoever, though, but that might be better enjoyed in its original 4koma format.

Are you watching Sub or Dub, they tend to take the swearing out of Dubs.

Because, in a lot of cases, it wasn't really truly there to begin with. I've noticed some fansub groups like to take liberties with profanities used, when it was probably meant to be a fair bit tamer. If profanity's really there and laid on thick, the dub team will run with it.

Sword art online may be ok lots of action and adventure, there is a bit of Fan service, nothing over the top though.

"A bit", you say. More than a bit, I'd say. Not necessarily over the top for the most part, but there's more than just "a bit". Hell, in S2, Sinon's outfit is fanservice.

Full metal Alchemist (the original or brotherhood), a small amount of swearing in the sub, lots of action in it.

Never seen the sub, but seconded. Worst curse used in either English dub is "damn", iirc.

Steins;Gate not really action, but fun and interesting to watch.

But is there no fanservice, though? (Seriously asking - haven't actually seen it).

[OMITTED]
Replying to a rule breaking/deleted post.

Last edited by a moderator:

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
I think it should be with no fan-service at all, because I just wanted to watch the anime without any worry of being against the morality of my country, and of myself as well. The safer kind of fan-service which involves bringing back characters from previous season for a brief of time is fine with me, though.

Last edited:
Years
"A bit", you say. More than a bit, I'd say. Not necessarily over the top for the most part, but there's more than just "a bit". Hell, in S2, Sinon's outfit is fanservice.

Never seen the sub, but seconded. Worst curse used in either English dub is "damn", iirc.

But is there no fanservice, though? (Seriously asking - haven't actually seen it).

Thats the trouble with fanservice its so subjective. I would say Sinons outfit is only a light fanservice, but other may say its lots of fanservice

One or two shower scenes in Steins;gate if I remember, but nothing really graphic.

Chikara

ʕ´•ᴥ•`ʔ
Years
I'm just gonna list off some nice slice of life ones I really, really liked. There's just not many action shows that are momma-approved, so I'll take a different route owo!

Tsuritama comes to mind initially. For some reason, Tsuritama has been on my mind a lot, I'm even making my username related to it- ANYWAY. It's about fishing, and it's kind of quirky, but cute af, and definitely family friendly.

Azumanga Daioh. 'Nuff said.

Nichijou. Yasss. Cute, and funny.

Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-kun. I can't seem to remember if there was any cussing, but if there was, it was few and far between. Probably the funniest show I've seen in a LONG time.

Lovely★Complex If you're in the mood for a nice tall girl x short guy shoujo :3

Kimi ni Todoke Made me ugly cry a lot, please watch.

I'm sure I can think of more if you've seen all of those, or aren't interested -w-

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
Years
I agree with Chikara, Kimi ni Todoke is a must! Do you have an anime list? I think it will be easier to recommend something knowing what you have already seen :)

Drekavac

Screamer
Years
  • Age 29
  • Hell
  • Seen Dec 10, 2016
Well, the family friendly titles that come to mind are as follows:

Kimi ni Todoke (highly recommended! I definitely agree with the ones who mentioned it!!)
Cardcaptor Sakura (absolutely love this. Don't think there's anything objectionable here)
Honey and Clover (there's a sex scene but they don't show the sex and it is free of any fanservice. Good SoL)
Barakamon (amazing SoL with no fanservice)
Gekkan-Shoujo Nozaki-kun (again, amazing SoL comedy with no fanservice. Definitely recommended!)
Bakuman (I don't remember any instance here which could be considered fanservice-y here. It is a pretty good show, so yeah)
Katanagatari (Really amazing stuff. Action anime. No FS)
Log Horizon (Almost no FS and pretty good action/adventure MMORPG anime)
Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso (good stuff. It is more of a dramatic + musical anime than an SoL but it does deal with how a single person can change lives so yeah. Just give it a shot)
Akatsuki no Yona (No FS, good action/adventure anime)
AnoHana (almost no fanservice. Good, emotional SoL revolving around friendship)
My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU! (this is more of a SoL than a romcom as its name would imply. No fanservice as far as I remember. Fantastic show)
Isshuukan Friends (a really sweet SoL. <3)
Seirei no Moribito (a really good action/adventure show)

That'll suffice for a while, no?

Kung Fu Ferret

The Unbound
Years
Subs or dubs?

I recommend Digimon Tamers, unless you count Renamon as fan service, which I personally don't.

It was written by some of writers for Evangelion, so it's a little darker than other Digimon series.

I watched it subbed twice on Netflix all the way through. But for some reason they put it under Digimon Adventure (subs) or Digimon: Digital Monsters (dubs).

I prefer it subbed myself.

Shdwj

Excuse me?
Years
  • Seen May 24, 2016
A safe slice-of-life? One Week Friends is such a sweet and innocent anime...it was like a breath of fresh air to me, hehehe. :)

Akiba

[img]http://i.imgur.com/o3RYT4v.png[/img]
Years
Fanservice is pretty much ubiquitous nowadays, lol.

But yeah, Chikara basically hit the spot. Azumanga Daioh, Nichijou, and Kimi ni Todoke are pretty much what you're looking for here. The three are each beautiful works in their own right, and virtually free of irrelevant fanservice.

As Don said, Azumanga Daioh is more enjoyable read than watched.

Steins;Gate

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Palamon

Silence is Purple
Years
What's safe...hmmm...

How about Dragon Drive? It's like Pokemon, so, it should be fun.
XXXHolic is really good. No fanservice, to my knowledge.
Anything by CLAMP, tbh.

Dter ic

Fire Emblem....[b]HEROES[/b]
Years
Silver Spoon and Shirobako come to mind (the latter I'm watching right now and can say it's safe for everyone) pretty ordinary slice of life shows that explore different professions - one is agriculture and the other is about anime production.

Back