• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Suggestion: Incentives

Years
  • Honestly Maruno, I feel it would be quite too little too late to "save" emblems. Again, how many people can you think of that have more than 20? It really does get stale at some point, and tbh the emblem system has gotten stale for the past few years. Emblems arent the exciting prize they once were; they're not as exciting to earn. Badges, on the other hand, are earned after long-time contributions and feel more rewarding because of their strict requirements.

What would be the point in adding an entirely new system that is only nominally different when you could simply restructure a pre-existing system (emblems) and enforce stricter rules for what qualifies and how often they're distributed? It seems to be more of a debate of semantics at this point.

I'd also like to suggest that maybe certain emblems could be displayed on the postbit, while others are profile exclusive; this is a mediated solution that would allow for ego emblems and the more frivolous or silly emblems to remain while also allowing users to display their "earned" emblems (the proposed badges), too. I imagine that would be far easier to implement, too, and would only mean a slight restructuring from what is already in place.

Years
  • I'll answer that question with another question: how do you plan on restoring the novelty of recieving emblems?
    Personally, I would vouch for a complete wiping of the slate, with the exception of a few mainstays of the system (veteran, pairing, etc.) and enforcing far stricter guidelines on what can and cannot be created as an emblem; at the moment there are essentially no limits on what can be an emblem, and quite often duplicate emblems are uploaded (for example, there are numerous emblems for iSketch competitions from the various events through the years, when realistically there only need to be one or two: one for winning, one for participation. The year doesn't really matter as people can be awarded duplicate emblems and the date is displayed prominently). With these stricter limits, emblems would only be added if they fulfil requirements such as being different enough from pre-existing emblems, would need pre-established and approved requirements for earning them, and not too frivolous (while this may be quite an arbitrary thing to control, I feel it would be easy to distinguish).

Emblems have been such a deeply ingrained part of PC's culture
    Which is why I think completely getting rid of them and introducing a new system would just be creating extra work and confusion.

if you just "restructured" emblems in the fashion of just pushing the delete button on the ones that arent important enough, realistically, that wouldnt be directly tackling the issue of emblem exclusivity.
    I fail to see how making emblems more exclusive isn't directly tackling the issue of emblem exclusivity.

My concern is: how do we make our incentive system interesting again? How do we make the vast majority attracted to an event or high levels of contribution, because emblems just arent cutting it, anymore (in my perspective).
    Ultimately, the proposed badges system would be no different, the only unique thing it's offering is that it's got a different name and it can be displayed on the postbit, which is something I have already proposed as an option for emblems.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • What we're working on should increase interest, while providing a fun meta-game element to the entire system. It's pretty different compared to emblems in some ways, while also remaining similar to emblems in ways.

It's not something that's coming soon though, so there's no real point in revealing it, BUT! We're talking about fixing up emblems now and maybe seeing what we can do to re-energize what we've got to work with at this time.

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    You're thinking about emblems as they are now. It is entirely possible to become stricter with emblem awarding, cut out the silly emblems, and generally make them as earned as badges would be. I'm quite tired with people dismissing emblems as though they could never change - the new system would very much help to focus emblems, if we let it. We shouldn't just drop emblems entirely without even trying to improve them (badges would be just the same as emblems anyway, except more exclusive, but exclusivity is entirely in the power of the staff who hand them out so why not try it with emblems first?).

We (staff) need to get some clarification and agreements going for both this new system and emblems, so that we know what's planned and what's going on. Then maybe we can avoid silly talk about replacing one system (emblems) with an identical system (badges).

On a separate note, has anyone ever tried explaining why "no one cares about emblems"? I can guess at some of the reasons, but I'd rather hear them stated and discussed rather than see sweeping and inaccurate statements like that. If this thread is asking for more incentives, we should probably first reason why the existing incentives are allegedly inadequate.

i thought i just explained /why/ no one (or at least me) cares about emblems in my post? besides, for that to work you'd have to get rid of everyone's earned emblems first and i don't think anyone wants that. and how many emblems are there, like 200? it'd be nice to have your badges shown in the postbit so people can actually see your accomplishments just like on smogon. like i am all for the pokeball idea proposed earlier. in any case, i never said i don't like emblems as the way they are, i like the silly emblems and i know i'm not the only one. it's fun to get a few emblems for your collection after participating in threads, contests, stuff like that, badges would just be a completely different feature. it's not necessary to purge emblems and it's not necessary to combine the two... an entirely new feature with a fresh objective seems better to me than re-hash emblems (in the potential badge system's stead that is, idk what's currently being worked on in regards to emblems of course so i have no opinion on that).

it's really clearly not an identical system and there's enough posts in this thread (including the op...) that cover the reasons why.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • and how many emblems are there, like 200?

How many emblems do we have in comparison? I'm willing to bet above 300.

4TYJFUS.jpg

it's like 1,000+ or something

Yoshikko

the princess has awoken while the prince sleeps on
    Years
    • Seen Apr 27, 2020
    But yeah, we're discussing ideas on how to improve the system right now. Honestly I don't think emblems are completely stale or something we can't fix. I like them and I think it's hypocritical to say that no one cares about emblems when you admit right after that you enjoy silly ones as the way they are.

well idk if i wanna get into this cause it kind of derails but if you're gonna call me a hypocrite... what i meant was that emblems are kind of meaningless at this point, or at least less meaningful than badges would be. that doesn't mean i don't enjoy them. but i'm not as motivated to do anything for them as i would be with badges. this is just nitpicking, i'm pretty sure you know what i mean.

edit: also, i was never the one that said no one cared about emblems, it was said in the op (i do feel that way personally, but i never stated that...)

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Oh yeah, btw, I don't really care if we have one system or two or if we call 'em badges or emblems or salt&pepper shakers, I just want some sort of visible recognition of members' contributions to a section/the forum (and I think that's basically what Anti's looking for here too).

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    methinks this emblem discussion is being taken a bit too seriously & over the top considering there's no concrete info or decisions being made about any replacement or concurrent system

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
  • You're thinking about emblems as they are now. It is entirely possible to become stricter with emblem awarding, cut out the silly emblems, and generally make them as earned as badges would be. I'm quite tired with people dismissing emblems as though they could never change - the new system would very much help to focus emblems, if we let it.
    It's a little too late, I think.

The bread has gone stale, throw it in the bin or out to the birds.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • What would be the point in adding an entirely new system that is only nominally different when you could simply restructure a pre-existing system (emblems) and enforce stricter rules for what qualifies and how often they're distributed? It seems to be more of a debate of semantics at this point.

I'd also like to suggest that maybe certain emblems could be displayed on the postbit, while others are profile exclusive; this is a mediated solution that would allow for ego emblems and the more frivolous or silly emblems to remain while also allowing users to display their "earned" emblems (the proposed badges), too. I imagine that would be far easier to implement, too, and would only mean a slight restructuring from what is already in place.

It depends on the precise details of your general proposal.

Since the visual nature of the incentive is central to my proposal, I certainly like the sound of a postbit, but the underlying issues that emblems have as an incentive (as opposed to, say, a whimsical triviality) would need to be addressed. The rank/reward distinction that wolf made earlier is very important to this, since I think the the way to address emblems not acting as an incentive would be to make postbit emblems exclusively for ranks and profiles emblems for everything else. While I haven't researched the emblem master list, I'm guessing that almost none of them would actually make for good "badges," and as a result, we would need to come up with a set of postbit emblems that are supposed to matter. I'm fine with this, but I want to be clear that just putting some of the currently existing emblems in a postbit and calling it an incentive would not cut it. I was under the impression though, with something "being in the works" and all, that emblems were getting replaced anyway?

Emblems would also need to be rebranded, with the distinction between "trivial" and "serious" emblems being very explicitly stated and marketed. This is, I think, what Yoshikko and Derk are expressing some skepticism about. In principle, I am not against rebranding emblems or supplementing them within the existing system, but that does run a very real risk of devaluing the newly created incentive because emblems have no prestige. I don't know anything about code or anything else logistically relevant to the implementation of my proposal, so sorry if this is naive, but if it's so easy to add a postbit to emblems, I guess I don't see why it would be difficult to just have a postbit incentive that existed in its own right? This is why, while I am not really opposed to what you're proposing, I think a separate system makes more sense, though it might be resting on an erroneous assumption.

More broadly, I pretty much agree with everything Nah said:

Oh yeah, btw, I don't really care if we have one system or two or if we call 'em badges or emblems or salt&pepper shakers, I just want some sort of visible recognition of members' contributions to a section/the forum (and I think that's basically what Anti's looking for here too).

It is exactly what I am looking for. I must confess that I do not care about the fate of emblems (see my previous reply in this thread) or what exactly the details of it are so long as it happens and it fills a void that has existing in the battling community for far too long. I hope that, if we made an effort to maintain the (apparently popular) emblems system, that the meat and potatoes of what I am proposing--a visual incentive that explicitly recognizes contribution and contribution alone--will not be lost in the shuffle.

Back