• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokemon Stadium Rentals

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
Years
  • When you played Pokemon Stadium did you like the rental Pokemon or did you use your own save with the transfer pak? I played Pokemon Stadium for the first time in ages today and this just came to mind when I seen how horrid the rental Pokemon were. Guess it's not a surprise I couldn't beat the game as a kid lol.

Years
  • I'm going to move this thread over to our Spinoff Games section, as this would be more suited over there than Pokemon General.

As for myself, I didn't have a choice but to use the rental Pokemon, as I never had an N64 of my own, so I didn't have a transfer pak either. I didn't think they were all that bad to use, but I'm sure that if I had access to the Pokemon that I was using back on Yellow (or Gold if we're talking Stadium 2), I wouldn't want to go back to the rentals.

MOVED.

She_Delphox

Delphox used Mystical Fire!
    Years
  • Same here lol. Personally I find the Rental Pokemon not really useful. Sure, you could pick any Pokemon but the stage 1 Pokemon had some nice moves (but... first stage so yeah, they needed something to compensate this with), as for evolutionairy Pokemon (stage 2 and stage 3) had barely any good moves (but, had more HP because they were an evolution...).
    Sometimes it was really frustrating as a kid because you couldn't (or barely) beat some Gym Leaders because of those bad movesets, as soon as I used my own trained Pokemon with better moves, this was a bit easier though.

So as soon as I could, I would use my own in-game trained Pokemon from Red/Blue/Yellow or Gold/Silver/Crystal in Pokemon Stadium 2.

ShinyUmbreon189

VLONE coming soon
    Years
  • Since I was playing on emulator, rented Pokemon were the only way.
    And they weren't that bad if you chose correctly.

You can download a transfer pak plugin for project 64 and use a gbc. save and use your trained Pokemon.
    I was able to get to the elite four in the original with rental Pokemon but always lost against Gary lol. I'm training a team on Yellow now to see if I can beat him.

Years
    • Seen Feb 19, 2015
    I never played Pokémon Stadium with a Transfer Pak, but I have played it a lot last year, and I will say that the Rentals are terrible. It didn't help that the fully evolved Pokémon got the horrible moves and the non fully evolved ones didn't.

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
  • I always had to use the rentals because I barely know how to get saves and stuff to work on an emulator. Usually you're forced to use basic Pokemon because their fully evolved forms have horrible movesets - I'd much rather Flamethrower over Fire Blast, which means I'd have to use something like Cyndaquil, instead of the vastly superior Typhlosion. It's a pity, but one that's easy to get around.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • The Stadium rentals were better than the Stadium 2 ones.

You could mix them with your own Pokémon but I found it was more fun to use my own Pokémon.

Back