• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

In Game Trades

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • There are usually several trainers scattered throughout the region in each game that would like to trade one of your Pokemon for theirs! Sometimes these Pokemon are rare or unobtainable in the game that they are in, but this isn't always the case. Do you ever seek out in game trades? Do you just not bother at all?

Years
    • Seen Oct 18, 2016
    The more In Game Trades, the better. You're not forced to trade with them, but it's always better when the alternative are there for the player to choose. And I occasionally do trade with these fellas, mostly because they are easier to level up, and some of them can be useful in the early periods of the game (you will face an electric PkMn Gym, and the only available Ground Pokemon is from that one IGT in that specific house).

So in my opinion, they fleshes out the game a bit more.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I love in-game trades where it's a well-known NPC like Diantha's Ralts or Lt. Surge's French Pikachu. I always though those were really cool. There are some helpful ones too like the Onix in Violet City or the Machop in Goldenrod City.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Most amount of in-game trades I had ever done was four, if I remember correctly, which was in HeartGold and SoulSilver.

First was Dodrio, which was given to me by this woman in Blackthorn City in-exchange for Dragonair. I didn't exactly need this Pokémon (to use Fly and whatnot, I've had Staraptor with me), but wound up getting it anyway, since I had two Dragonair. Next was a Voltorb from Olivine, and after that, comes Xatu and Magneton, which were respectively from Pewter City and Power Plant.

As for the system as a while, my thoughts on it are neutral. They're a fun thing to do, for sure, but in some cases, Pokémon that you get from here aren't always great. If they were better in terms of IVs and whatnot, I'm sure it would have been more appreciated by many.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I always accept any in-game trade I come across for the sake of Dex entries; the only exception is when I already have the Pokemon they're offering.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • Onix (or Rocky) in GSC was the most useful for me, I think that's the only traded Pokémon I've fully used on my team so far.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    Actually, I can't belive it. Nobody talked about the troll trade on D/P/Pt?

Ok, On snowpoint city somebody trades you a Haunter, But this one haves an everstone... I never traded a poke again

Oh, right, I definitely do remember that! In one of my runs, I ran into that person in Snowpoint, and since they were offering a Haunter, I was actually curious to see if it would evolve. Unfortunately, I was very disappointed afterward.

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
    Years
  • I WAS SO MAD at the trade! I mean, with the introduction of Wi Fi and the GTS it wasn't that hard to get a Gengar if you didn't have 2 games/DS systems, but still. No wonder people call the company Trollfreak :P

Years
  • Ugh, that stupid Gengar trade made me angry in Platinum (and even moreso when someone pulled the exact same trick on me when using the GTS later in the game).

The only 2 Pokemon that I've actually ended up using in my party from an in-game trades was Kazza the Abra in Platinum, and Skitit the Skitty in Sapphire (though, only after being traded again to FireRed). I try to at least do a couple of the in-game trades for each release, but that's more for the Pokedex than anything else.

Back