• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Why do you play video games?

El Héroe Oscuro

IG: elheroeoscuro
Years
  • To answer my very own question, on top of the obvious answer of video games are extremely fun, they have helped me battle depression over the last few years. While it hasn't hit me as hard the past year - I maybe have had 2-3 episodes in that time frame - video games was a nice escape from reality and helped me distract/cope with a lot of negative things happening in my life. It was pleasant "busy work" to help put a positive spin during those times.

Years
  • Playing video games allows you to escape reality, and be a fantasy warrior, Spartan II, or hell, a yellow electric mouse with strange ears. So yeah, that's why I play video games, because after I've done a lot of school and piano, I can just sit down, relax, and play FF.

Lumina

Lucid Melody
    Years
  • For fun, as a distraction from life and depression, an extra thing to sometimes do with my family, muh 100% completions, and boredom.

Mostly just cuz it's fun as shit though.

Cerberus87

Mega Houndoom, baby!
    Years
  • It's such a big part of my personality that I can't imagine myself not playing games.

That being said, it's been a while since I've last played any games beyond some testing, and I miss doing that.

pkmin3033

Well, at one time I would have just said "for fun" and left it at that, but the overwhelming stress and sheer frustration FFXIV has put me through since I started playing it a couple of months ago now, coupled with the fact that I'm STILL playing the bloody game even though it's still causing me said stress and frustration more often than not, gives me pause.

"Fun" isn't really enough for me anymore. Or maybe it's just my definition that's changed. Well, I still enjoy a good Mario platformer, but that isn't enough for me to buy one: I want more out of games. I play for entertaining characters, intriguing plots, and spectacular soundtrack. I find most games that aren't puzzle, sports or fighting games to be fun, but I won't play just any old thing.

Gaming has become a semi-serious hobby for me now I think. I play for trophies, for the satisfaction I get from earning them; I like earning Platinum trophies where I can - even if it's not particularly fun after a while, and on my current PSN I'd say at least 50% of my plats weren't fun after a while - and otherwise just seeing the things pop up is especially satisfying.

I also play games because a lot of the people I talk to do as well, so we've got things to discuss...or criticize and argue about, as the case usually is.

tl;dr I play games because I have since I was about eight years old and I don't think I could stop even if I wanted to; I've grown up with them and they've become as important a part of my life as the internet, or reading, or even breathing. I play, therefore I am.

Years
    • she/her
    • Seen May 23, 2023
    As a five year old, I loved video games because they were exciting compared to anything I was used to. Take Pokemon for example. Learning that I could raise my own team of fire breathing, thunder shocking, dragon roaring team of monsters was enough for me to throw all my dolls and princess toys in the air and go 'hello video games!'

Right now, I game because it's a great way to hang out with friends and relax from the adsfghjkl; that is school, stress and my life. I also love video games for giving me some of my best friends and letting me be a superhero. Thanks video games!

Years
  • Because they're fun. Because they're a nice distraction at times. Because they're good at killing boredom.

It's usually one or more of those three for me, even applying back when I played video games a lot more often. I could go on about stories and characters and whatnot, but even that still boils down to because it's fun, to me.

Dustmop

[i]Fight for what makes you happy[/i]
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2022
    "Fun" is a word I almost hesitate to attach to gaming anymore, and Meloetta.. I couldn't have said it better myself.

Well, at one time I would have just said "for fun" and left it at that, but the overwhelming stress and sheer frustration FFXIV has put me through since I started playing it a couple of months ago now, coupled with the fact that I'm STILL playing the bloody game even though it's still causing me said stress and frustration more often than not, gives me pause.

"Fun" isn't really enough for me anymore. Or maybe it's just my definition that's changed. Well, I still enjoy a good Mario platformer, but that isn't enough for me to buy one: I want more out of games. I play for entertaining characters, intriguing plots, and spectacular soundtrack. I find most games that aren't puzzle, sports or fighting games to be fun, but I won't play just any old thing.

Gaming has become a semi-serious hobby for me now I think. I play for trophies, for the satisfaction I get from earning them; I like earning Platinum trophies where I can - even if it's not particularly fun after a while, and on my current PSN I'd say at least 50% of my plats weren't fun after a while - and otherwise just seeing the things pop up is especially satisfying.

I also play games because a lot of the people I talk to do as well, so we've got things to discuss...or criticize and argue about, as the case usually is.

They're largely an escape from reality for me, and all of the stress, drama, and pain that entails. It's rather freeing, ya know. Getting lost in another world, forgetting all the negatives for awhile. On a similar note, they make wonderful emotional outlets as well. That said, yes, graphics are often very important. My immersion. :v

Then there's the completionist and achievement hunter side to it, too. And this is partially where the hesitation on calling it 'fun' ties back in. While I won't continue playing a game I don't enjoy to some extent, I don't really want to quit on anything that I've already started. Canyon Capers, for example, was one of the few things I've ever given up on. It wasn't too frustrating in the good way; it was poor level design that kept me from bothering with it. I want the challenge and I want the satisfaction from finishing it; it doesn't necessarily need to be purely for fun, or maybe that's just what makes it fun for me.

And, of course, the relationships that have formed through them and around them keeps the hobby going strong. :P
    Many of the people I talk to play games as well, and it becomes a central conversational point; arguing about them, gushing over them, complaining about them, making fun of them.
    My eldest sister and I bonded over them growing up, and now she's the only one I'm actually close to. My father and I still pway together fairly often. I've forced converted many of my female friends over the years. :3 And it's one of the few things my boyfriend and I can agree on together, haha.

Ashes to Ashes

Serenade of Cerne
    Years
  • Theyre just fun and a way to unwind. Most games I play take skill and dedication, so I can get into them and stimulate my mind a bit. Im the opposite with movies, hate to think during them.

TY

I play them for many reasons, for fun, to calm down, to release stress, or in a competitive way to win something :v

I've been playing for a long time now and they helped me through rough times in my childhood and even still to this day they help a lot when I need it.

Sir Codin

Because I need something to take out my frustrations on whenever someone says or does something that pisses me off, because society took a turn for the worse by decided that killing people you don't like is wrong.

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    I play video games to have fun and/or unwind. I also play some older games if I want to feel nostalgic.

machomuu

Stuck in Hot Girl Summer
    Years
  • I was originally planning on saying quite a bit, but...well, when that happens I just keep putting it off, so here goes in 3 sentences.

Other than for fun, I get something out of playing video games. What that "something" is varies from game to game, but it comes from me and my nature as a prospective game designer; playing a game allows me the chance to mingle with the game's artists, writers, musicians, designers, etc., see what they were thinking, what they did, and why they did what they did. I suppose this goes along with "for fun", since I enjoy the hell out of it, and apart from teaching me quite a bit, it also adds more to me proverbial repertoire in terms of inspiration and ideas.

...Is the really short and restricted version of what I wanted to say. But it's pretty accurate.

Leviathan

[span="font-family:ubuntu; color: whitesmoke; padd
    Years
  • For fun, to escape, to take my mind off of daily nuisances and a few other reasons. I like a good story as much as the next person, and the particular genre of video games that I find myself drawn to so happen to fulfill that...want, I suppose?

MusicClues

Mashup Maker and Sun/M/XY Champion/Master
    Years
  • I Play Video Games Because....Well, Their Video Games. I don't Care if a Game Gets a Bad Review, Is unFinshed or Doesn't Have Good Graphics. I play Them because Games Are Fun! People forget this A lot.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
  • I practically grew up playing video games. I was a baby when I watched my dad play the NES, then when I turned 3 or 4 years old, he got the SNES and gave me the controller to try out Super Mario. From that time on, I became utterly obsessed with video games. I think it's something that can be passed on from generation to generation. Today, I got my oldest niece to play Pokemon and Skylanders, and she really loves it!

I think that's primarily the reason why I play video games. I also like that it's something you can share with people, especially your friends. I made friends by playing video games, especially co-workers! Once we discovered we play a certain franchise like Pokemon, we instantly become friends. It's crazy isn't it?

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
  • Because it's fun, and because it lets me do things I can't do in real life. You know, like train pokémon. That's also why I don't really like "realistic" games like most FPS or sports games, those just aren't as fun.

I agree. Ironically, since my favorite console games are Arkham Knight and GTA V, but to be fair, they're not super realistic. I'm just not a big fan of sports games or any shooter aside from Halo. That's actually why I love Halo so much, it's so game-y. It's just fun, it doesn't need to be realistic like CoD or Battlefront.

Back