• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Forum moderator applications are now open! Click here for details.
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

The Rainbow Connection [LGBTS Club]

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
I come presenting a horrific story.

An 11 year old girl is being put in a mental institute. Why? She's trans.
Read that for details, this honestly brought a tear to my eye, it's horrific, especially in a progressive country like Germany.

This is a petition to stop it

Also I heard about the Canadian thing, I'm disgusted that it's there. It's probably more for security than actual transphobia but I'm hoping it's like got rid of or something.

Petition signed. Respectful, yet scathing comment attached to signature.

Nothing else to say about this that wouldn't get censored or out of hand.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
I thought of this question earlier today, and almost forgot about it. It really doesn't apply at all if you're straight, but it's still an interesting question. (If you're trans, just replace sexuality with gender identity, or use both if necessary.)

If you were famous, how open would you be about your sexuality?

Last edited:

Shiny

monster tamer streamer
Years

I'd be fully open, as I'd most likely be an activist for gay rights as well as my chosen career. I don't really get why celeb's go back in the closet when they became famous / mainstream / whatever.

Keiran

[b]Rock Solid[/b]
Years

Fully. I would use my fame to help combat ignorance, spread acceptance, and just generally help others that may be struggling with their self-identity. Something I look for in who I choose to "idolize" is how comfortable they are with themselves.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I think Cynthia Nixon caved to the pressure. :( We'll never win against the bigots if we let them define the nature of sexuality

I wouldn't necessarily jump to that conclusion. The quotes from the interview that caused all the commotion are pretty consistent with bisexuality. In effect, choosing to be in a gay relationship rather than a straight one is essentially choosing to be gay - and when you're bisexual, gay is in fact is a choice.

Also, her wording of the retraction was very well done and didn't give me the vibe of "oh god what have I done I have to get out of this" at all.

Uhh it's the "not a choice" vs "it's okay whether choice or not" argument. ;_;
I don't care how easy it is to just claim "well it's not a choice". If we were going for easy then there are so many other roads we could have gone down. xD
Anyway, to be honest, you can deny it all you want, but being gay is a choice. Having homosexual feelings, i.e. being attracted to whosinsuch, is not a choice. However it's 100% choice to go out and actually date people based on those feelings. Just like it's a choice for a straight guy to date/flirt/sex/whatev a woman, it's a choice for a gay guy to date/flirt/sex/whatev a man regardless of his attraction. Celibacy is a viable option that anyone can choose at any time. That's just something everyone's got to accept.

lol I don't really understand this argument whatsoever. Why is being gay defined by the action rather than the natural orientation? If a person is homosexual and chooses to be celibate for whatever reason, it makes them no less homosexual. It is the orientation toward a gender that defines sexuality, not the choice to act upon it.

And even if your point were valid, it really doesn't further anything one way or the other :P

-----

@Kawaii - I signed the petition but I doubt it will do any good :/ this really really sucks but I don't think online petitions are going to change anybody's mind.

----

I wouldn't make it a selling point for myself, but I wouldn't hide it either. I wouldn't talk about it in interviews unless the subject of my partner came up. I wouldn't 'come out' to the world, I would just passively be 'out' and people can deal with it. I'd also laugh at the tabloid articles when people finally figured out that that guy I was walking around with was more than a buddy :P

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jul 11, 2022

I think I'd be much like how you described yourself. I'm already open with all of the people around me, so why wouldn't I be if I were famous? I wouldn't be approaching people like "Hi, my name is ____ and I'm a homosexual celebrity I LOVE YOUR SHOES". Like a certain celebrity I've seen. *couch*PerezHilton*cough*
But yeah, I'd just be very chill with it. If it comes up in conversation, then it comes up in conversation. No big deal.

Years
lol I don't really understand this argument whatsoever. Why is being gay defined by the action rather than the natural orientation? If a person is homosexual and chooses to be celibate for whatever reason, it makes them no less homosexual. It is the orientation toward a gender that defines sexuality, not the choice to act upon it.
I believe this is the argument I was stating earlier, that the way we talk about sexuality and identity is one in which people "are" something rather than that people "do" something. In the ways in which we talk about identity when you "are" something it's a part of your being, inseparable as much as your brain is. Someone "is" gay. Someone "is" black. Someone "is" Christian, vegetarian, conservative, female, etc. You're not really allowed to stop being something and become something else without getting a lot of negative reactions. This isn't always the case, of course. Some things you can change fairly easily and some things are more accepted, but you can still see how any change even to your political stance can irritate people. Now I see that some categories appear more changeable than others. In addition to one's political stance there are a person's religion and diet which we're pretty okay with people, although any vegetarian or atheist can tell you some people aren't very accepting. One's gender is somewhat accepted as a thing that can change, and I think it's becoming more and more accepted. What I'm getting at here is that there are already a lot of things that people "do" which we think should be protected and supported, and other things which we don't or think can't change. I chalk a lot of resistance to the notion that we have to "be" something in order for it to be respected. If we were really free to be what we felt we should be then you wouldn't see people get angry at atheists and vegetarians and trans people. In some sense or another there is an element of choice in being any of these things. If I haven't gotten too far away from my original point what I mean to say is that we should respect every choice a person makes as long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone. If something doesn't happen to be a choice then that should still be respected, but respecting freedom to choose would already cover that.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Did you guys hear that The Old Republic will include same-sex relationships with NPC companions in an update coming up soon? I can't find any unbiased news about it... since it all seems to be about how other people are reacting to it, so I'll just post this one because it's funny: http://www.g4tv.com/thefeed/blog/po...ay-controversy-family-group-unloads-on-sw-tor

The game has almost 2 million players though, so I think that makes it the 2nd biggest mmo out there right now. As far as I know anyway.

I would be playing for sure if I had the money. lol

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
As an MMO nerd, I can tell you that there are definitely more than 6 million copies of GW sold, and 10 million players of WoW, so it can't be the second biggest, haha.

Usagi-Chan~

What are you doing my love?
Years
  • Age 26
  • US
  • Seen Jul 31, 2023
Don't most games that feature romantic options allow LGBT relations anyway? OR am I not on that up on things?

In other news I am facing a moral dilemma, a facebook friend friend posted "I just don't like (that evil f-word), sorry, I was just born that way" I kinda want to defriend him and I don't think he'd notice and he is also pretty cute, am I blowing things out of proportion?

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Oh I forgot about GW (Which is weird since it's the only mmo I play lol.) but with subscription based MMOs anyway. Maybe. lol

Don't most games that feature romantic options allow LGBT relations anyway? OR am I not on that up on things?

In other news I am facing a moral dilemma, a facebook friend friend posted "I just don't like (that evil f-word), sorry, I was just born that way" I kinda want to defriend him and I don't think he'd notice and he is also pretty cute, am I blowing things out of proportion?
The only game I've played that included it was Fable. I've actually never seen it anywhere else. (But I don't play the kind of games where you have relationships at all, anyway. Never played sims for example, but I'm guessing you can in that game.)

If he says he hates you(assuming you're gay), why would you be his friend?

Last edited:

Usagi-Chan~

What are you doing my love?
Years
  • Age 26
  • US
  • Seen Jul 31, 2023
He didn't direct the post towards me,but the community as a whole, but it still made me mad. The only reason we were friends was because his step-brother was my best friend before I moved a few years ago. His whole family is into the Biblical literalism stuff, so I really shouldn't be surprised based on his posts about atheism and other topics I did defriend him though.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Dragon Age allows it, Skyrim and Fallout allow it, Mass Effect allows it, SW:TOR wasn't going to allow it until people flipped out about it haha. But generally it's become a norm to have gay relationships within video games I believe.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
Years
Skyrim and Fallout allow it, Mass Effect allows it
That's news to me. I ended up with Ashley in Mass Effect, even though I was equally friendly with everyone, and I didn't know you could even have relationships in the others.

Oryx

CoquettishCat
Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Jan 30, 2015
Well from what I was reading I just saw "Mass Effect". Further research shows that this is an upcoming feature for Mass Effect 3.

In my defense I've never played ME :(

Edit: Oh there are lesbian relationships if you're a girl but no male/male ones in previous games.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
Years
I believe this is the argument I was stating earlier, that the way we talk about sexuality and identity is one in which people "are" something rather than that people "do" something. In the ways in which we talk about identity when you "are" something it's a part of your being, inseparable as much as your brain is. Someone "is" gay. Someone "is" black. Someone "is" Christian, vegetarian, conservative, female, etc. You're not really allowed to stop being something and become something else without getting a lot of negative reactions. This isn't always the case, of course. Some things you can change fairly easily and some things are more accepted, but you can still see how any change even to your political stance can irritate people. Now I see that some categories appear more changeable than others. In addition to one's political stance there are a person's religion and diet which we're pretty okay with people, although any vegetarian or atheist can tell you some people aren't very accepting. One's gender is somewhat accepted as a thing that can change, and I think it's becoming more and more accepted. What I'm getting at here is that there are already a lot of things that people "do" which we think should be protected and supported, and other things which we don't or think can't change. I chalk a lot of resistance to the notion that we have to "be" something in order for it to be respected. If we were really free to be what we felt we should be then you wouldn't see people get angry at atheists and vegetarians and trans people. In some sense or another there is an element of choice in being any of these things. If I haven't gotten too far away from my original point what I mean to say is that we should respect every choice a person makes as long as it doesn't cause harm to anyone. If something doesn't happen to be a choice then that should still be respected, but respecting freedom to choose would already cover that.

All good points, but somewhat removed from what I was talking about lol. The rights and acceptance issues notwithstanding, Magdalena's argument was that one's sexual orientation is dictated by the decision to act upon it, which is not true. Someone "being" gay is not contingent upon them "doing" gay things. That's all I was saying.

I'd like to share a link that shows just how ignorant some anti-gay people can be. And this ignorance can have very dangerous consequences. Just take a look for yourself.

Sorry to bring the conversation back to this stupid douche again, but I was just watching Chelsea Lately and they covered the story there so I have to share some choice quotes because I found them hilarious:

"He says that it is virtually impossible to spread HIV through heterosexual sex – I've heard that before, by the way. From men."

Then when the conversation turned to the second part about him being kicked out of that restaurant, where he apparently went for brunch:

"You can't go to brunch... unless you like gay people."

You probably won't find that funny unless you're already existing Chelsea fans (JARED, USAGI, BACKUP PLEASE!) but I lmao'd. A lot XD.

-Jared-

Certified Responsible Adult
Years
Sorry to bring the conversation back to this stupid douche again, but I was just watching Chelsea Lately and they covered the story there so I have to share some choice quotes because I found them hilarious:

"He says that it is virtually impossible to spread HIV through heterosexual sex – I've heard that before, by the way. From men."

Then when the conversation turned to the second part about him being kicked out of that restaurant, where he apparently went for brunch:

"You can't go to brunch... unless you like gay people."

You probably won't find that funny unless you're already existing Chelsea fans (JARED, USAGI, BACKUP PLEASE!) but I lmao'd. A lot XD.

Bolded part was so lol-inducing. xD In fact, mom was watching that last night while I was making dinner and I heard that exact line, which I lol'd so hard at. xD Plus, it certainly helps when you hear it in her voice. :P I can literally hear her saying that. xD

Years
Drop him like third period French.

Here is something that will make your head spin.

Some 14-year old girl wants her state of Maryland to ban gay marriage... as a birthday present for her. She's worried about the government being able to change the meaning of words, how sad it is for kids with gay parents, etc. etc. blah blah blah.

Magdalena~

Feel the hnnnnggg
Years
The rights and acceptance issues notwithstanding, Magdalena's argument was that one's sexual orientation is dictated by the decision to act upon it, which is not true. Someone "being" gay is not contingent upon them "doing" gay things. That's all I was saying.
It depends how you look at what the word "gay" means. It could mean:

1.) Someone who would potentially have homosexual relationships or sex.
2.) Someone who does have homosexual relationships or sex.

I was referring to the second; what you call "doing gay things". Doing gay things is a choice. Is it then acceptable that people should say you can do the first but not the second? If you're basing acceptance of actions completely upon whether they're a choice or not, then that means it's okay to be gay (the first option) in principle but not to act upon your feelings and attractions and urges. Let's ignore how similar this is to "love the sinner, hate the sin", which you said you were against.

Back