• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

When you have writer's block...

starseed galaxy auticorn

[font=Finger Paint][COLOR=#DCA6F3][i]PC's Resident
Years
  • What do you usually do when you have writer's block? I'm currently suffering from this, and it seems that my normal methods of getting rid of it aren't working. I usually listen to music to eliminate any background noise, which is a must because of my ADHD and autism. I can't really write short stories because my mind can't seem to rap around them well. :c

I'm really stumped here because I want to write so badly. I've already tried putting it off as much as I can, but the urge to write grows stronger like the force lol. So, I was wondering what others usually do to get rid of writer's block. :c I know I've asked this once before, but the thread is apparently gone.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Try reading! You need input in order to produce output, and what better source could there be for writing than the written word?

Another thing I like to do is watch livestreams of people making stuff. There's tons of artists who livestream while they work, and I've found that watching them inspires me to work on my own stuff.

Other than that: music, RainyMood.com, writing longhand, and moving to a different chair/location to write (don't underestimate this last one! I now write in bed with my tablet and a bluetooth keyboard and it works wonders). That said, sometimes you just have to buckle down and flipping write. Go watch Just Do It and then follow that advice.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Seconding txty's advice to read books! I got some ideas for one of my current project from reading a book, and now have two scenes to write because of it. They were scenes that I was stuck on and forced to write through, but now I can go back to edit them to be better.

I also agree with writing in a new location. I usually write sitting at my computer desk, at night, listening to music. But a few months ago, I was in your situation, Deracine. Completely stuck on my story, but I really wanted to write. So what I did was walk outside with a little notebook and pen tucked into my pocket. Being in a new location at a new time of the day helped me to get past whatever I was stuck on, and I was able to write the few scenes that were giving me trouble.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • I also agree with writing in a new location. I usually write sitting at my computer desk, at night, listening to music. But a few months ago, I was in your situation, Deracine. Completely stuck on my story, but I really wanted to write. So what I did was walk outside with a little notebook and pen tucked into my pocket. Being in a new location at a new time of the day helped me to get past whatever I was stuck on, and I was able to write the few scenes that were giving me trouble.

A big part of this for me is actually posture. I'm a software engineer by day and a hopeless slacker by night, so my posture is bad. So, so bad. Switching to a different position can have a really big effect on your comfort level and your mood, which translate to more and better writing. Not to mention it's better for your back.

In that same vein, exercise increases blood flow to your brain and releases endorphins, so even a simple walk can improve your ability to think and make you feel good. Showers create a similar effect: they warm you up, ease tension, and improve blood flow.

VisualJae

[size=1][FONT=Michroma][color=#a42525][b]Spam Hype
    Years
  • I do a combination of things when I get writer's block or "feel" that writer's block is coming.

I'll read anything of quality. If there are some cool ideas I can use as a foundation for something more, great. If not, keep reading and exploring.

I also watch movies that are acclaimed for the writing. That's pretty much all I do when it comes to movies nowadays. I just hone in completely on dialogue. It's also great descriptive writing practice to take movie scenes as they are and convert them to literature.

And since I work in NYC, it's easy for me to plop down somewhere and people watch. People watching is great for picking up stories based on conversations you overhear or events you witness. Nothing beats real people and real stories as material for writing something believable.

Fotomac

Genwunner and proud of it
    Years
    • Seen Jan 9, 2023
    I play some of the games on which my fic is based and/or turn to others to help me plan out the story.

Daydream

[b]Boo.[/b]
    Years
  • Writer's block often comes from being demotivated, I think. I agree with txteclipse, sometimes you have to just buckle down and write. But that doesn't mean you have to force out words on your current project. I often find that just the process of writing is enough to spur something. So I'd suggest turning your hand at automatic writing: open a word document or pick up a pen and notebook and just write. Write the first thing that comes into your head, even if you're repeating words or not being grammatically correct.

Often I find it removes whatever block that's been in place in my head. Or sometimes it makes you write that thing you don't want to write, so you can refocus on your main project.

Necrum

I AM THE REAL SONIC
    Years
  • Music is the cure for me. When I listen to Megadeth or Metallica the ideas just seem to flow. It's like a lubricant for my brain. Movies and, of course, reading other works also helps. I've been reading a lot more in the last year and it heavily motivated my writing. The only other things is experiencing new things. I saw my first lunar eclipse earlier this year. Right away I pulled up word and kept writing until I was dry.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Music does indeed help. Also relaxing and reminding myself that I'm (most often) writing for fun and not out of necessity and therefore there should be no pressure. And sometimes, that's enough to unclog the creativity pores~

Bay

Years
  • Like the others said, usually reading another work, whether fanfic or published book, gets me inspired to write more. If I get stuck on how to approach a scene, usually walking or doing chores around the house gets some ideas flowing for me.

Ice1

[img]http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-xy/icon/712.pn
    Years
    • Seen Nov 23, 2023
    Most of the time, when I have a writer's block, it's because I have been writing a lot, and just ran out of energy. Doing something else, and coming back later almost always helps.

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
  • Going to sleep, watching an anime, getting on a skype chat, playing a video game or listening to music usually helps. Forcing yourself to write through your block helps too even if you scrap it when you're done because you might get halfway through it and find a flow and then just go back and redo everything leading up to that point. Also I find using headphones instead of just speakers for listening to music while writing or when getting ready to write helps better too.

Back