• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

PokéCommunity Daily: Preparing for Gen 7

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • I had the idea of raising this earlier but kept forgetting, so here's a thread.

In short - Pokemon Sun and Moon is around the corner - under three months away! And a new gen does bring about a large shift to the meta given the new Pokemon, game mechanics, etc. I imagine it's something that a lot of players will be interested in as well - what new Pokemon are key to winning battles, what old ones will remain on top, etc, and something that affects every player regardless of tier, format or platform (showdown versus wifi).

Perhaps one way to help a) give the BS and this section more attention and b) also get more readers onto Daily (and hence a flow-on back to PC forums) is to plan how to get articles on such topics out early, and figuring out how the meta will adapt and grab more userbase to be involved in batting.

Going to leave it at that, so feel free to throw around ideas for articles or events or how to plan stuff or shout me down, etc.

Years
  • This is going to be really hard to do without being able to look at stats and abilities or play test but I'll see what I can come up with.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • This is going to be really hard to do without being able to look at stats and abilities or play test but I'll see what I can come up with.
    Logs:
    examples would be uh...
    an early 'which new pokemon rule/suck for battling based on early impressions' when the game is out and we have stats
    (or maybe if there's a demo and it gets datamined again)
    Certainly can appreciate it being hard without knowing stats for sure. But planning for quick initial articles when we have those stats, whenever that is, would be useful to be able to get a head-start imo. :B

Aurora

seven years here and i finally figure out how to d
    Years
    • Run-down of mechanics changes and how they affect the metagame
    • Featurettes on new and influential Pokemon in different metagames once they all settle down
    • Featurettes on old Pokemon that have either shot up in viability or declined
    • Trending playstyles
    • Metagame comparisons from this generation to SM to allow people used to ORAS to get their head around (not the same as the first idea; first point purely based on mechanics and not practical applications)

Those are all I can come up with for now, given how little we know about SM. Showdown programmers are incredibly efficient at implementing new generations quickly so some inroads could be made on these earlier than you would think.

Years
  • I think Aurora had some awesome ideas. What might be a good idea for early SM meta is article discussions about some of teams built around new cores and mons. Their pros/cons, their performance in their tier, some damage clcs etc. and then have people ask questions on the team.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • How about how Z-moves will affect the metagame? Will they be as prominent as Mega Evolutions, or be brought down to gimmick, since they can only be used once per battle?

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I just don't think we have the info needed here. We have naught more than images and typings.

However, a piece on the revealed new ABILITIES might fly. I seem to recall a couple that could have significant impact on the game, such as Dazziling (or whatever), Dancer, and Stakeout.

5qwerty

[b][font="open sans"]WHOLLY MOLEY[/font][/b]
    Years
    • Seen today
    I just don't think we have the info needed here. We have naught more than images and typings.

However, a piece on the revealed new ABILITIES might fly. I seem to recall a couple that could have significant impact on the game, such as Dazziling (or whatever), Dancer, and Stakeout.

Yup, agreed. We can also talk about some of the bad ones, like Water Compaction (crap this is the only bad one I can think of from the top of my head).

Wimp Out's also decent, the Mimikyu ability is nice, and Corruption is ok.

Years
    • Age 29
    • he/him/his
    • Seen Feb 8, 2024
    I would love to help out on a piece for the new abilities. Imo this would be something that would be good as a collaborative piece.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I just don't think we have the info needed here. We have naught more than images and typings.

Yup, agreed. We can also talk about some of the bad ones, like Water Compaction (crap this is the only bad one I can think of from the top of my head).

Wimp Out's also decent, the Mimikyu ability is nice, and Corruption is ok.

I would love to help out on a piece for the new abilities. Imo this would be something that would be good as a collaborative piece.
    An article speculating on the Abilities and discussing pros/cons sounds sensible to me!

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • Another double post! Go me. This is important though - now we have a demo we really need to go full-steam ahead for Daily articles on the competitive side. If you find one of the ideas below interesting and want to write about it, or write about something else, say so here! Anyone can write for Daily. And if you don't want to write but do want to share thoughts, that's cool too.

We have the demo datamining. Check the article for details but we don't have many stats as they were scrubbed (replaced with Pikachu's). Same for moves (Pound). I assume same for Abilities...?

There are a few new ones. Check this video for the details: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_KfjwyVaoY

We do have images for the new Pokemon, however. Just not their info (including typing).

So, ideas on competitive articles based on what we do know:

- Abilities speculation. Discuss the Abilities we know and separate the good from the bad (on paper).

- Z-Moves. We have details about Pikachu's overkill one now. 175 base power, cannot miss (but what about Protect)? Will define the meta imo.

- Is Ash-Greninja viable? Compare with Protean Greninja. Different Ability - more power upon 'mega' evolution but needs to KO a Pokemon with it first. Water Shuriken (now a Special move) gets boosted by its Ability as well, but

- Alolan Pokemon thoughts

- VGC speculation article
    Thinking aloud some more (I could maybe even write this following the news on the 14th):

- Short intro about VGC
    - Recap of the rules we know about for the 2017 season, probably in quote/bullet point format
    - Section on no megas; bye Kanga and friends. Note that they may well return in VGC18 - makes sense they're not here as this gen will want to give some limelight to new features... speaking of:
    - Z move speculation
    - Comment on Alolan forms - will we see more, and could they be viable? (Sandslash's typing is poor defensively for instance.
    - Highlight couple pokes that could be useful as mentioned in the quote above.

This'll still be a short article overall given the lack of detail we'll be able to go into/the speculative nature of it.

- ???

Discuss/plot/write away!

Karous

Captain Obvious
    Years
  • A big change you can write about is the paralysis nerf, Thunder Wave is going down to 90% accuracy and paralysis itself halves speed instead of reducing it by 1/4. This has large implications for competitive play because it nerfed speed control as well as in indirect buff to heavy offense, as now offensive Pokemon can still outspeed defensive ones under paralysis. Thunder Wave is no longer a filler move.

https://twitter.com/Tan_ZYinG/status/788239841137790976
    https://twitter.com/pokemon_PhD/status/788389224315846656

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • A big change you can write about is the paralysis nerf, Thunder Wave is going down to 90% accuracy and paralysis itself halves speed instead of reducing it by 1/4. This has large implications for competitive play because it nerfed speed control as well as in indirect buff to heavy offense, as now offensive Pokemon can still outspeed defensive ones under paralysis. Thunder Wave is no longer a filler move.

https://twitter.com/Tan_ZYinG/status/788239841137790976
    https://twitter.com/pokemon_PhD/status/788389224315846656
    That makes sense to me. That will certainly be a significant change. Worth its own article, perhaps? (Articles don't need to be super long and cover a million things after all).

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Could make an article combining the T-Wave and paralysis nerfs, the two priority negating abilities Dazzling and Queenly Majesty, and the recently found via demo datamining move Psychic Terrain (which also negates priority moves temporarily). Basically talk about how speed control has been nerfed in the Gen 7 meta. It is, like Kaorus said, a pretty big change if all 4 of those things truly become relevant in the meta, as speed control is hella important (Anti described why in one or both of his articles).

It seems like Game Freak really wanted to nerf speed control for some reason. idk why though, offense was hardly in need of buffs

Years
  • Speed control, priority nerfing and Mega Kangaskhan nerfing are definitely what this new metagame is focusing around. Thunder Wave is known for being a widespread TM move and since it was spammed so much, the accuracy lowering and changes to paralysis mechanics will make it less desirable to use.

Priority moves were of course spammed everywhere thanks to Talonflame, and as shown with Bruxish's Dazzling and Tsareena's Queenly Majesty abilities, it's clear Game Freak are planning to make this generation an anti-Talonflame metagame. It'll come down to Tsareena and Bruxish's stats to see if they can be the Talonflame blocker. The newly discovered move Psychic Terrain is also pushing towards this, likely being learned by the pink Tapu guardian.

And finally the Mega Kangaskhan nerf. First we have Parental Bond weakened, and now Power-Up Punch losing TM status to Waterfall, meaning that Power-Up Punch on Kangaskhan will likely be transfer-only (since I imagine Game Freak wouldn't want an OP move like that in its egg moves) and that means the move will be banned on Kangaskhan in tournaments that only allow Pokemon caught or bred within 7th Gen.

Balance in the metagame this generation is going to be more focused on than ever before.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    Hey Marcin, were you wanting to have an article for this written sooner rather than later? We probably have just enough info to write something now

I might even be willing to write it if you want

Back