• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Red hack: Pok?mon DeadRed - Ready for a challenge ?

Pokémon DeadRed - Ready for a challenge ?

Intro:

Hi pokecommunity, this is my first hack and I hope you'll like it. I certainly had fun making it and playing it. So, as everyone should know Pokemon Red & Blue are very, very easy games due to bad programming, lack of any AI and many other things...which is why I've decided to make it more of a challenge without it being unfair. I am aware that there are many "difficulty" hacks, but I hope you'll still find enjoyment with my hack. It's not just a difficulty hack either. You can get all 151 Pokemon too so there's that.

If you found the game too easy or too hard at certain parts, please tell me as I would like to improve it if said problems are present.

And if anyone would make an LP I wouldn't complain, it would be fun to watch. :)

Story: It's Pokemon Red, so yeah.....

Features:

- catch all 151 Pokemon!
- explore Kanto again with all trainers buffed up. Especially the gym leaders and the elite 4.

That's it, really. It's a simple concept, but I find it highly appealing and I hope you will too.

Screenshots:

Pok?mon DeadRed - Ready for a challenge ?

Download (Sorry, initially I forgot to add the link in my hurry):

http://www.mediafire.com/download/9675md2pq2dvg8b/Pokemon_DeadRed!.rar

Last edited:
Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2021
    when you say buffed up, do you just mean their teams or is their AI and programming improved? if it's the latter i'd be very interested in this

when you say buffed up, do you just mean their teams or is their AI and programming improved? if it's the latter i'd be very interested in this

Unfortunately, I lack the hacking knowledge to do that. I'm not even sure if you can do that, since Red & Blue literally don't have any AI. The moves your opponent uses are selected randomly.

I simply changed their Pokemon and leveled them up. I also gave them better moves whenever I could. (Brock's Onix uses Rock Slide instead of Bide now.)

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2021
    Unfortunately, I lack the hacking knowledge to do that. I'm not even sure if you can do that, since Red & Blue literally don't have any AI. The moves your opponent uses are selected randomly.

I simply changed their Pokemon and leveled them up. I also gave them better moves whenever I could. (Brock's Onix uses Rock Slide instead of Bide now.)

that's a shame. well, i'll give it a try and let you know what i think!

HoennTM

Will my hack be done soon? Probably not.
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure there are programs that should allow you to change up AI and whatnot. I believe one of the ones I used could change it up, except it was almost 2 years ago now I've forgotten :P
    But anyway I'll give this a try.

Years
  • Even if the AI in Gen 1 leaves a lot to be desired, the trainers don't just select a move at random. There are three AI layers and each trainer class is assigned any combination of these three. To sum them up:
    1. Discourage status only moves if player is already statused
    2. Discourage certain residual moves unless it's the second turn
    3. Encourage super-effective moves (even if non-damaging), and discourage not very effective damaging moves.
    1. is used by all trainer classes but Youngster and Cue Ball. 3 is used by the majority of the gym leaders and E4. 2 is not used much.

Apart from this move selection AI there's also an "action AI". This is what for example makes Brock use Full Heals and Misty use X Defends. While coming up with new move selection AI layers is no easy task and requires assembly work, the action AIs can be replaced or removed easily by just changing the corresponding trainer class pointer.

https://github.com/pret/pokered/blob/master/engine/battle/trainer_ai.asm

Back