• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Few 4th/5th gen hacks?

Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2015
    Hi, I'm fairly new to Pokemon hacks and these forums. I noticed that there are hardly any hacks made on 4th or 5th gen games. Is it technically more difficult to make hacks on these newer generations?

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
  • Hi, I'm fairly new to Pokemon hacks and these forums. I noticed that there are hardly any hacks made on 4th or 5th gen games. Is it technically more difficult to make hacks on these newer generations?

they are technically harder to hack, but there is also a lot less research done into them, and there's very few tools for them, making it less easier to hack them

Years
  • Like purpleorange said, there is very little research done to ds games. Additionally, there are complex things forming the DS rom structure (like .narcs) There is also the fact that gen 4/5 hacking requires 3D modeling skills, which not every hacker has. DS emulators are nothing to write home about, as they are extremely slow on most computers and are relatively new.

Last edited:

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    The performance requirements for fullspeed DS emulation (at native res) isn't that high these days (And running hacks on an actual DS is a million times more accessible than the GBA and has been for years). It does still remain though that you have more complicated graphics to worry about, like overworld buildings or the way BW does animated Pokemon using the 3D engine.

Years
    • Seen Aug 19, 2015
    tried most of the ds emulators out there none are great !!! gba pokemon is always been the way for me though!

Infinitum

╭━━╮╱╱╭━? ??╱╱╱╱╭╮╱? ?╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱ ╱╱╱╱╱╱╱╱? ??╭?
    Years
  • tried most of the ds emulators out there none are great !!! gba pokemon is always been the way for me though!

You should try DuoS emulator, it had something very special which made it a lot faster. DS emulation is nowadays as fast as GBA emulation, and so it is on Android. Even running it with upscaling or rendering it in higher resolutions isn't a problem anymore...

On-topic: the biggest issue is the lack of research. We've been working with outdated games and outdated generations for way too long, and now some of us are finally realizing that it's time for action. #DropGBA #DSTime

Crizzle

Legend
    Years
  • You should try DuoS emulator, it had something very special which made it a lot faster. DS emulation is nowadays as fast as GBA emulation, and so it is on Android. Even running it with upscaling or rendering it in higher resolutions isn't a problem anymore...

On-topic: the biggest issue is the lack of research. We've been working with outdated games and outdated generations for way too long, and now some of us are finally realizing that it's time for action. #DropGBA #DSTime

Good luck with that. Seriously.
    There's a reason why we've been hacking outdated games for so long(other than them being so awesome).
    The GBA ROM is fairly simple. The DS is much more complex in every way imaginable. It's not as simple as "research moar". Even researching is much more difficult with the DS. Making tools is much more difficult with the DS. Making custom "sprites" and custom maps is much more difficult with the DS(3D modeling).

One day, people will be able to hack the DS as easily as they hack the GBA games. But I think that day is very far off.

Back