• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Hidden Items

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Hidden Items

(^^ mandatory cool image)​

So, I'm sure everyone knows what I'm talking about. The dropped items that you can find in a Poké Ball and the even more elusive invisible items that you either need to guess to find (though GF can be a bit predictable) or use the Dowsing Machine (Itemfinder for you Gen. 3 fans). They can be anything, though the most common are medicines and TMs.

Do you like these kind of things? Are you the type to go hiking through every cave, not stopping until you find every last item? Has anyone ever found them all!? Discuss.

Years
  • I've been disappointed in how Game Freak have kind of neglected these in recent games; I swear to god there was no item in any trash can in X/Y. But yeah, they're a great feature and they're a fun way to add replayability to maps and keep a sense of discovery going long after you've finished the main story.

That being said, I also do feel like sometimes they're too predictable (e.g. wow what could this long, one block-wide path that leads to nowhere possibly be here for?? :OO).

Years
  • I feel like I never cared for hidden items in past games, but the simplicity of 5th Gen's Dowsing Machine made things so much easier, and 6th Gen does at least react when you're close to an item, but 5th Gen's was so convenient because it actually pointed you in the direction the item was. Since then I have always tried to find all the hidden items I possibly can.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    I've been disappointed in how Game Freak have kind of neglected these in recent games; I swear to god there was no item in any trash can in X/Y. But yeah, they're a great feature and they're a fun way to add replayability to maps and keep a sense of discovery going long after you've finished the main story.

That being said, I also do feel like sometimes they're too predictable (e.g. wow what could this long, one block-wide path that leads to nowhere possibly be here for?? :OO).

Haha, yeah, Game Freak does have a penchant for predictable item locations. You've just got to check any randomly placed rocks in a cave and at least half the time you're guaranteed an item.

Lunarose

replaced by lies
    Years
    • Seen Nov 26, 2020
    Yeah, I found basically all the items back in Soul Silver. Since I had the official guide I went back and did everything hidden/daily.
    I still have the habit of checking trash cans and looking twice in certain spots when I go places, but in ORAS I didn't see it much tbh.

Somewhere_

i don't know where
    Years
  • I try and forget about all of the invisible items, otherwise my OCD will kick in lol. Sometimes, I turn on the thinger that finds invisible items, and its pretty useful! However, I do check all of the trash cans and they are all empty. Is the pokemon devoid of trash or something?

Lycanthropy

[cd=font-family:Special Elite;font-size:16px;color
    Years
  • Most of them are really predictable, so I always check rocks that look like they might hide an item, narrow paths and open spaces in the tall grass. I only use the dowsing machine on places like beaches, because I know those always have a lot of hidden items, but it's too much effort to check every square. The hidden items are too rarely useful enough for me to keep using the dowsing machine everywhere I go.

Seth Rollins

Holding on to You |-/
    Years
  • Well, I don't think I ever found ALL of the Hidden Items, I never bothered to, anyway. I didn't use the Itemfinder too, but I agree with everyone that they were always predictable, pretty sure I got most of them.

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Speaking of predictability, it took me years to realize that in FRLG there is a special grass tile that shows you where hidden items are. It doesn't get much easier than that. :)

Years
  • It wasn't until Generation V, with the much more convenient Dowsing Machine, that I was one to care about these much at all. But it was still nice when we would find hidden items, it was nothing to ever question or find unusual. In Generation IV and especially III the Item Finder wasn't very good, but once I was able to use the auto-pointer it was much more fun.

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I honestly never really used the dowsing machine until gen 6. It was just so simple to use. In general though i'm not a huge fan of hidden items. I mean I'll tend to grab them if they're obvious like open patches of grass or just a random space. Otherwise i don't spend any time trying to find them.

Years
  • Oh my days am I obsessed with finding every single Hidden Item! I think they're cool, adds an extra element to the game along with a cool bit of tech to use! (Except the one you had to wear on your head! Looked like you wearing party boppers!)

Frozen Lotus

Shay's Ice Prince
    Years
  • It really, really depends. I love the idea, and I love that feeling of finding something really good because you were a little more attentive of your surroundings... but when they put hidden items in the middle of caves, or anywhere that has NO safe zones? I can't stand it. I hate caves in Pokemon games for the very reason that you can never get a break from constant random encounters. I also don't like hidden items on water routes, simply because it makes you keep activating and deactivating Surf over and over, at every little tiny island, just because of the OFF chance there's something there.

But it is a cool idea, and I love it when it's done properly.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I really love searching for hidden items, I can really get distracted by these during pre-E4. {XD}

Return

You can make to the sunrise....
    Years
  • I don't care about hidden items and always try to move around rather than trying to find them also waist my time and stability too.

jessluvstolaugh

Video game maniac
    Years
  • It's more fun to find hidden and non hidden items in the newer games mainly because of the more complex designs of the routes. In ORAS, since I needed money more than ever before, I went on a huge treasure hunt all throughout Hoenn. Oh yeah and I may have endangered the graveler population from using rock smash in hopes of finding star pieces (whoops) lol.

Back