• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Pokémon Spriteworld

Ac1d

Game Dev
Years

• logormq.png

General Information

Pokémon SpriteWorld is a game created from scratch from our custom built library.
    The language & method used for this game is currently being kept secret from the public due to the high value nature of said Language and/or Method.

The game started being developed on 04/04/2009 and is making great Progress!
    The two creators are Myself (Ac1d) and My Good Friend, Linky (xLink).
    We both have our places when it comes to development with this project, but they contain no actual guidelines..

The Game is set in Kanto (To Begin with); After Beta Release, We'll be tweaking the game in accordance to the feedback we receive from the Users. After Having Kanto down and dusted, we aim to set on creating a direct link from Kanto to Johto via the way of a Train (See the story line for more info).

From this, we may create more Regions, and even custom regions..

Note: This game is NOT created for use in an emulator or in any such compatibilty. This is NOT a Rom / Rom Hack. This is a scratch project created by the two people stated above.

Story Line

You start off at Kanto, And play the role of Ash, Collecting Pokemon, Defeating Gym Leaders, Etc.

After You've Defeated the Elite 4, You get access to the Region Train.
    Before getting on the train, you must deposit your pokemon into the regional computer, as Pokemon don't like travelling on trains as it goes

This then takes you to the Johto.. While on the train you fall asleep..
    You wake up suddenly and the train has collided with another, and the debris has interrupted all Pokemon Data streams into the Region.

You go to the nearest city with the masses of people of the failed train journey. All the civilians then gather at the pokemon centre. And you place a phone call to prof Oak and you tell him the news. He tells you to go and visit his old research partner, Prof. Elm.

You and Prof. Elm talk, Prof. Elm and Oak talk via video phone and you wait patiently as old friends have a lengthy chat.. Prof. Elm gives you the opportunity to choose a new pokemon to help you out.. And you start out your Journey in the Johto Region.

You then follow the same old storyline, with the odd new part here and there
    Defeat Gym Leaders, Collect Pokemon, and Defeat the Pokémon League.

You get out of the Pokémon League and are told that the Data stream has been fixed...

The Story continues from here, But is under development.
    Feel Free to Contribute.

Map(s)

Coming Soon

Ingame Screenshots

Coming Soon

Custom Resources

Note:
    Resources below have been created / edited and collated put together for use in Pokémon Sprite World. Please give credit where used.

Character Sprites
    croppedvsprites.png

Assistance Needed!

These positions aren't that important to fill..
    But they'd be nice to have filled, or the roles furfilled before we get too far in..

Custom Maps - We currently need a custom map of Kanto around ~600x400px
    Fakemon - We're currently looking for a range of good quality pokémon for our custom reigon that'll be released around the time of the beta release.
    Music - We Need, Rather urgently (During the next ... Month) a Music artist, or at least some musical contributions, for An intro, Battle Sequences, Walking, Etc etc..

Support Us!

Code:
    [PLAIN][url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=174762][IMG]http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/2918/userbarcopyn.png[/IMG][/url][/PLAIN]

Code:
    [PLAIN][url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=174762][IMG]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/8009/userbar2k.png[/IMG][/url][/PLAIN]

Code:
    [PLAIN][url=http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=174762][IMG]http://img6.imageshack.us/img6/4200/userbar3d.png[/IMG][/url][/PLAIN]

Completed Tasks:

• Custom Leveling Algorithmn
    • Sprite Movement
    • Custom Map Editor
    • Custom Sprites
    • Speed Bench Tests
    • Custom Experience Algorithm
    • HM/TM Class & Table Constructed (Completed: 12/04/2009)
    • Added Luigi To The Playable Chars (Completed: 12/04/2009)
    • Construct Pokémon Table (Completed: 14/04/2009)
    • More to Come..

ToDo List:

• Construct Item table
    • Construct Moves table
    • Add Fields to Moves Table
    • Edit LvlUp Function to check if said pokemon has evolved / Learnt a new move.
    • Add Event List
    • Get a Fakemon Designer Onboard
    • Get a Music Creator On-board
    • Get a Map Designer On-board
    • Develop Story Line for Kanto
    • Sketch Up Fakemon Designs
    • Sketch Up Map Designs
    • Finish Basic Movement & Post Video / Screen shot
    • Solidify Objects

Last Updated: 03:01 13/04/2009 (GMT / UTC)

Last edited:

Waudby

What software are you using to develop this? (RMXP, Sphere, etc...)

Wouldn't the player be more annoyed after levelling up their pokémon only to lose them, just to level up new pokémon? Be careful you may scare people away with this.

You've got some clever ideas, just be careful with some of the finer details.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023
    hey, im one of the developers on this, but when the "data stream" is restored u can then use the pokemon u raised in kanto in jhoto too

Waudby

hey, im one of the developers on this, but when the "data stream" is restored u can then use the pokemon u raised in kanto in jhoto too

Okay then. What about the software used to develop this?

How far into the development is your team?

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023
    well were keeping the 'software' underwraps at the moment, as if we gave that out then it would blow our 'Secret Twist'

as for the development side of things, weve been working on it a week, so not very far, but things are looking promising at the moment

Waudby

Okay then. Well I think keeping the software used to make the game could also work out detrimental to progress as well, as less people will be able to offer help.

I'm looking forward to seeing more from this game. Hopefully once you make some decent progress on it, you can have it moved into the Games Showcase.

I'd really like to suggest, keeping a good active documentation for the storyline so things don't become "made up as you go along", always have a plan. And don't be afraid to ask for help.

I'd also like to see how some of those sprites will be incorporated into the game.

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023
    the story line for the regions will be kept as close as possible to the original games, starting with RF/LG

the problem i were having at the moment is working out how to transfer you from one region to the next, we figured out a way to move you from kanto => jhoto, but from there to hoenn and then to sinoh mebe, will be a project of its own to make sure things a) go smoothly, and b) dont become to repetitive.

and im not sure how u mean with the
    I'd also like to see how some of those sprites will be incorporated into the game.

Waudby

the story line for the regions will be kept as close as possible to the original games, starting with RF/LG

the problem i were having at the moment is working out how to transfer you from one region to the next, we figured out a way to move you from kanto => jhoto, but from there to hoenn and then to sinoh mebe, will be a project of its own to make sure things a) go smoothly, and b) dont become to repetitive.

and im not sure how u mean with the

Yeah I guess that would be a problem, but I'm sure there'll be a way around it.

What I meant was, in the first post there's a spritesheet with bomberman and link from zelda in it, are they included in the game?

Ninja Tree

I turn 1 everyday
    Years
    • Age 16
    • Seen Aug 6, 2010
    I'd rather just go play the games I own than wait for a game that replicates what I already have.

Don't reinvent the wheel.

Waudby

I'd rather just go play the games I own than wait for a game that replicates what I already have.

I don't think they will exactly replicate it. As that in itself is a huge task.

But it gives them something to aim for while making the game. I hope more focus will be put on making the game more original, even if it's using Nintendo's regions.

Ac1d

Game Dev
    Years
  • What I meant was, in the first post there's a spritesheet with bomberman and link from zelda in it, are they included in the game?
    Yes, These will be used for special events and Staff.

We're not reinventing the wheel, We're tweaking it and releasing the sphere ;)

But it gives them something to aim for while making the game. I hope more focus will be put on making the game more original, even if it's using Nintendo's regions.
    We don't aim to replicate everything, you're right, we aim to get the basics of the existing regions and game plots, tweaking them, adding whole new elements, and such.

You may even see new towns in regions that you thought you knew ;)

- DJ

Years
    • Seen Jan 14, 2023

were only using the original regions as a base, we dont want to be creating our own region aswell as implementing the game as a whole, we will however be looking into making our custom region after we have got the game base completed and as we start implementing the other regions

23Q

Years
  • This sounds tremendously great, But I think there should be rivals and all.
    It cant just be an accident and you beat the game, all lives happily after.
    The game needs action, therefore i would like to apply for an idea creator/maker.
    It would be an honor and i could test out the game a couple of times.
    I might even pop in with a fakemon, so idk. But thats if you accept my offer,
    well, if you accept me in your team :)

darkerarceus

Advanced RM2K3-er
    Years
  • Nice game you put up but at least put some screenshots up and DO NOT make too many regions in the game or it will overflow.
    Off topic:This game started making on my 10th birthday!

Ac1d

Game Dev
    Years
  • This sounds tremendously great, But I think there should be rivals and all.
    It cant just be an accident and you beat the game, all lives happily after.
    The game needs action, therefore i would like to apply for an idea creator/maker.
    It would be an honor and i could test out the game a couple of times.
    I might even pop in with a fakemon, so idk. But thats if you accept my offer,
    well, if you accept me in your team :)

If you could propose some Ideas to me via PM, of Skype if you Skype (Since, When coding, it's alot easier to talk on a mic while coding). I'll evaluate some ideas you have, and if myself & xLink think they're good. We'll bring you on-board.

Nice game you put up but at least put some screenshots up and DO NOT make too many regions in the game or it will overflow.
    Off topic:This game started making on my 10th birthday!

We're working on the backend of the game at the moment as you can tell by the Completed Tasks list. Regarding the regions, we won't make too many, it'll more like a story, rather than just different regions.

Oh, and Great :D Hope you had a good Birthday ;)

Years
  • my suggestions in addition to those in the other thread/pm:

base the new region off a place in Japan like the other pokemon regions. made-from-scratch regions often look very circular/blobby and bad.

set the storyline after the main games. not only will it be more original but it will be less of a rerun and more fun. :) I can help with a plot if coming up with a new one is the problem.

if you REALLY want to just use the old storylines, keep in mind that it's Red's journey, not Ash's. see Bulbapedia for the difference, because it is kind of a big deal, to me at least. *shrug* especially since Ash has been to the orange islands, which don't exist in the games, and Red has a blastoise and venusair, which Ash will never have/even if he would, he didn't after the Johto saga, which is when G/S/C took place

Pika Storm

learning to script
    Years
  • this game looks great, I hope for your sucess:).
    The one biggest thing that I noticed though is that some of the sprites are bigger than others, and I'm not an expert on sphere, but I think this might cause a problem
    Maybe a way you could get to the hoen region is that you are on a plane to get back to the kanto region, but there is someone very important on the plane too, and a rocket is fired at the plane and you land in the ocean and pushed to the shore of hoen by a random pokemon, but while you are floating in the ocean, your pokeballs drift into the deep water of the ocean, and you can retrive them when you get the badge for dive and the hm for it too

Ac1d

Game Dev
    Years
  • All sprites are within a 21x16 grid, And some characters are smaller than others.
    Hence the size.

Who said we're using Sphere? :P

Thanks for your ideas on the story line, We'll take them into consideration, I do like the idea, Very creative ^^; Prehaps you'd be able to donate some time when we're further into the project, Creating some maps etc for us.

Ac1d

Game Dev
    Years
  • Quick update for everybody interested.
    The Pokédex of 386 pokemon is now complete. Complete with Evolution stages, held items, stats, happiness etc.

The movement system is 80% ish done now, Frame rate is running at the same as the Pokémon games. possibly even a bit faster ;)

We need some badges drawn up too, had that thought yesterday; So if anybody has any ideas for badges feel free to let Myself or xLink know.

Today I'll be working on the Item and Move tables.
    This'll knock two things off of the Todo List.

Thanks
    - DJ

Back