• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Internet Dating

Kim

Years
  • Revo said:
    You do know that there can be a sexual predator at PC, Living Next Door, In Your Local Wal-Mart, A Family Friend, etc...

You cannot prejudge a service because of a few bad people, when you can run into them *anywhere* in the world.

If anything it would make sexual predators more deadly, since cops wouldn't be able to pretend to be 14 year old girls.

So don't hate Internet Dating, see the pro's it has to offer which totally outweigh the cons.

Exactly. I'm more afraid of being kidnapped by my gang neighbors than some dude on an Internet forum.

People just need to teach their kids what is and what is not safe on the Internet. And anyone over 18, if they are computer literate, ought to know these things already.

Sassydoll76

You want this?
    Years
  • Well i see sides on this

1.There are some people who lie about their age and are just looking for some 'fun' on the internet..this is bad which is a reason not to

2.I made good friends on the Internet that arent bad at all, not EVERYONE is a stalker/liar and stuff like that,

3. Like Kim says: there is lies irl also , there is lies everywhere and internet is just not seeing them

4. dating however is a little much if you havnt seen them before. Maybe telephone or webcam shows a close to their age and things like that but still not the same as dating and being close to one another

I believe that you do what you must if u want to online date do so, but watch out because the few people who may sound so sweet and things like that could be a stalker. Just keep alert is all i am saying

Hitokiri

Banned
    Years
  • Kim said:
    I see a few of the latter posters here dont' know a thing about dating.

When I was 14, I got a random IM from a 17-year-old guy in an AOL chatroom. Was I desperate? No. I went to that chat because a friend invited me. Was he desperate? No, he noticed we listened to some of the same bands, so he messaged me. We continued talking online and on the phone for the next 3 years, until he came and visited me. I had a friend with me, just in case anything went wrong.

We did not start dating til a while after...after he continued to visit me for lengthy periods of time.

Our 2 year anniversary is coming up soon. We also live together and attend college together.

Does that make us desperate? Hell no. It means we became online buddies who happened to meet, and now are in a relationship.

Please keep in mind, we were both of legal age when the relationship started. I don't condone meetings like this unless both parties are over 18.

I'm also confused when you guys say "well they could be lying as to who they are!"...well, people do that in the REAL WORLD, too. When I was 17, I dated a guy who told me he was 18. Him looking 18 didn't help, either. I then found out he was 14 through a friend.

Convicted rapists...do you really think they tell every lady they date that they raped someone? No.

People can lie in the "real world" just as easy as they can on the Internet. Everyone just needs to be smart and safe and learn to live with it.

As nice as that sounds, cases like yours are so amazingly rare.

99% of online "relationships" are nothing more than text and cybering from two people who've never had a real girlfriend or boyfriend ^^;;

Kim

Years
  • Amazingly rare? How do you figure? I'd say a good 75% of everyone I know has had a decent relationship with someone they met online.

But I think we're thinking two different things here. I don't consider people who cyber with each other, or never meet each other, to be "dating." I consider it "dating" when they actually meet up and start a relationship together.:P kids who have internet boyfriend/girlfriends, nah, I don't count those haha.

Persona

Banned
    Years
  • Kim said:
    Amazingly rare? How do you figure? I'd say a good 75% of everyone I know has had a decent relationship with someone they met online.

But I think we're thinking two different things here. I don't consider people who cyber with each other, or never meet each other, to be "dating." I consider it "dating" when they actually meet up and start a relationship together.:P kids who have internet boyfriend/girlfriends, nah, I don't count those haha.

i agree with u O.o *shrugs* that's the reason y it's SOMETIMES it can be sick on internet dating.....the cyber......but i know wat u mean, realationships do sometimes come out in real life because of that and a way of finding true love...so ya it can be bad or good

~D.S~

John Denver

Banned
    Years
  • Kim said:
    Amazingly rare? How do you figure? I'd say a good 75% of everyone I know has had a decent relationship with someone they met online.

That's quite a speculation...

Knowing someone only online and never meeting =/= a good relationship

Initiating a conversation and then meeting up in real life can = a good relationship

If the relationship's limits is only to internet and such, then no body language or anything can be given, meaning all you see is text. That's stupid. But meeting someone online, then furthering the relationship to real life....that's perfectly fine. It's pretty cool, actually.

Back