• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Gym Layouts

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
  • So the Fifth Generation games definitely was creative when it came to the gym layouts!

The Gym Layouts

For example, in the original BW games, Elesa's gym was part of a Roller Coaster ride, while in B2W2, her's had this fashion show theme! Lenora's gym was part museum, part library too! But I digress.

What did you think of the gym layouts in the fifth generation games? Which ones were your favourite, or least favourite overall?

Years
  • What did you think of the gym layouts in the fifth generation games? Which ones were your favourite, or least favourite overall?

I really loved the Gym designs because I felt they were finally starting to get more individuality to them, and the fact most of the Gym Leaders have secondary occupations or hobbies tying in with the design made them even more awesome.

I never had a particular least fave, but if I had to choose I'd go with Skyla's because I find it quite dangerous getting shot out of cannons (B/W) or being blown around by giant fans (B2/W2). My absolute faves of the bunch were Roxie, B2/W2 Elesa, Burgh and Marlon, but all of them are great.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
    Years
    • She/Her
    • Seen Aug 20, 2023
    none of them really stood out. I guess skyla was my favrite
    elesa is my least favorite.

Reactions: Sun

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    none of them really stood out. I guess skyla was my favrite
    elesa is my least favorite.

Skyla's Gym puzzle has to be my favorite (BW and B2W2), while Elesa has a flashy and a fun-looking gym in BW, her Gym isn't my favorite as it relies too much on the visual. :/

Mark Kamill

I like kitties
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jun 13, 2023
    Both Humilau City with the floating lily pads and the Driftveil conveyer belt maze are easily the best. Btoh are equally fun to figure out, and the size of the gyms is something lacking in the franchise. Meanwhile on the other spectrum, We had 4 of the gyms just straight up battle royales. B2W2 was hilariously bad in how one half of the game had the best gym puzzles and the other half had nothing. Thankfull BW had only 2 weak gyms in this department, and the generation as a whole was amazing.

And yeah, I loved hiw each gym had a secondary role, ranging from a restaurant to a roller coaster.

Years
  • Eros is definitely right, these Gyms all had something unique going for them because they all tended to match the other job their Gym Leaders did. To me, this really was the first generation that Gym designs took a massive step-up and I praise Game Freak for taking it in a fresh direction.

Otamajakushi

Kuuuuuuu ku ku ku...
    Years
    • Seen Feb 18, 2017
    I think my favorite gym layout is a tie between the Castelia Gym and the Nimbasa Gym. They were both so vibrant and unique. Then you have the Nacrene Gym, which was two floors; I thought that was kinda neat.

Oddball_

Magical Senpai and god of the closet.
    Years
  • Despite my inner hatred towards Marlon as a character, I have to admit he had a pretty sweet gym. Second would be Burgh's original gym, which was a giant beehive with honey walls. Then I'd have to say Skyla's gym with all the cannons. That was pretty sweet. My least favourite generation five gym was Drayden/Iris' gym. Those freaking dragons statues can go die in a fire.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • Omg i loved them and i love Elesa seriously her gym layouts were cool her first one the roller coaster was fun and authentic and it actually made sense haha and her second one the runway was too cool i mean i love the design! Also Opelucid Cities gym was pretty cool as well i mean it wasnt all that real world designish but it was still pretty cool and i love how they changed based on your version.

Also Marlons gym was pretty cool as well it had a nice layout and was puzzling at first haha

Years
  • I like Marlon's a lot because the soothing music went perfectly with the lillypad puzzle. I thought of it as a "calm before the storm" with Team Plasma's ship on the horizon. The gym itself was pretty easy too!

The cannon and roller coaster gyms in the original BW games were cool, too. The cannon gym seemed just a little too dangerous for a child to go through, but I guess it pales in comparison to the lighthouse jump the main character made in HGSS.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The Striaton Gym was my favorite because it was a butler café ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

In all seriousness though, I feel gen 5 had some of the strongest Gym interiors. B2W2's Nimbasa Gym was definitely one of the most memorable for me; the Nacrene and Virbank Gym (along with the Striaton Gym) are some of my other favorites, although I really do love them all. And there's just something really charming about Aspertia Gym's simplicity.

And yes, I'll admit it. I thought it was hilarious being shot out of the cannons and into the wall in the BW Mistralton Gym.

Years
  • I like Marlon's a lot because the soothing music went perfectly with the lillypad puzzle. I thought of it as a "calm before the storm" with Team Plasma's ship on the horizon. The gym itself was pretty easy too!

I liked how peaceful and calm Marlon's Gym theme was. It was nice to see B2/W2 do a remix of the theme for each Gym in the game. Such a shame that 6th Gen went back to all Gyms sharing the same theme.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I liked how peaceful and calm Marlon's Gym theme was. It was nice to see B2/W2 do a remix of the theme for each Gym in the game. Such a shame that 6th Gen went back to all Gyms sharing the same theme.

I'd say this is appropriate to discuss considering it happens in the inside of the Gyms: I love how they gave each Gym its own appropriate remix. And I absolutely loved how they handled the order in which it happened, too. Cheren was first, and since he was the Normal-Type Gym Leader, it was the normal Gym theme. Nothing unusual there. Next was Roxie, and hers had singing because, obviously, she was the singer in her rock band. I thought that was a cute touch--but at the time I thought it was exclusive to her Gym because besides the overlayed vocals the theme was still the same. But then you get to Burgh's Gym, and what's that? Why is his different? And that's when you realize: they're all different.

Years
  • Roxie's was definitely an interesting one, especially with her singing out "D O G A R S" in the Japanese version, Dogars being the Japanese name of Koffing. I didn't like how the non-Japanese "P O K E M O N" sounded though, but I guess they just didn't want a different name for each version.

Back