• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Challenge 5: Pokemanz

Olli

I am still bathing in a summer's afterglow
Years
  • First set:

637.gif
    290.gif
    081.gif
    492.gif

We'll have to discuss both the similarities as well as who's posting our results. I reckon we also have to think about doing these fast, since that's one of our only bets actually winning these. I don't reckon it's too hard to get these wrong, so we'd have to be lucky to rely on taking our time to figure out the similarities with certainty.

In with your thoughts!

TwilightBlade

All dreams are but another reality.
    Years
  • Volcarona and Nincada share that they cannot learn Attract.

Nincada, Magnemite, and Shaymin share that they are short than 0.5 meter.

When in Sky Forme, Shaymin then and the other three are dual typed.

All four were unique in something:
    Volcarona's Bug/Fire typing;
    Nincada evolving into two Pokemon at once;
    Magnemite being the first Steel-type in the Pokedex and the first to change typing until Rotom in Gen V;
    Shaymin being the first and only pure Grass-type legendary;

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • I've been staring at all their Bulbapedia pages for a while, and those things that Lilith pointed out were the only things that really stood out.

I looked at all of their moves, their stats and game data (like catch rates and experience growth), as well as their side game data and . . . I didn't see any similarities between all four of them there.

The only other thing I could think of is that they all have the potential to fly? I don't know, I'm basically taking shots in the dark at this point.

Olli

Years
  • They all have a dual typing, though Shaymin only has that in its Sky Forme, and since the sprite used is of its normal form, I doubt that's it.

They're also all damaged normally by Dark and Ghost types, but that could apply to so many others too, so I don't think that's it :p

Salzorrah

[font=Montserrat][b][color=#66CC66]g[/color][color
    Years
  • I've also been staring at the Bulbapedia pages too and none of seems to fit other than the Dark Ghost thing Olli said D:

TwilightBlade

Years
  • Magnemite is unique in being the #1 GTS traded Pokemon in Gen 5. Also it is unique in being the most resistant Pokemon to date. Additionally, Magnemite and its evolutions are the only dual-type Electric that are part of a three-stage evolutionary line.

Volcarona is the Sun Pokemon-> Nincada does not like the sun -> Magnemite does not like Ground type -> ?

Logical Cabbage

A Very Big Altaria Fan
    Years
  • I checked it all out on the internet and compared stats... I guess what was stated above makes sense...

Maybe they all can't be beaten by grass?

I'm looking more up to this, but so far nothing hard hitting from me.

Nakuzami

[img]https://i.imgur.com/iwlpePA.png[/img]
    Years
  • The only other thing I can think of right now is that, considered in order, each of those pokémon has a type advantage against the next, but only of Shaymin Sky Forme is considered.

and slightly unrelated, but according to the most recent confessional, I guess Team 1 is planning on spending their points to eliminate Christos. I just think . . . actually, it makes me think they're idiots, quite frankly. If they want to try and rattle us with that simply because they've had to deal with it twice . . . they don't know how to play this game well, it seems.

TwilightBlade

Years
  • The only other thing I can think of right now is that, considered in order, each of those pokémon has a type advantage against the next, but only of Shaymin Sky Forme is considered.
    [8:51:41 PM] Blade: can we ask to clarify if the evolutions/families are included. larvesta, magnezone, sky forme
    [8:55:42 PM] Dave / Antemortem: they aren't

Shaymin or cough Sonic... hates robotic things like Magnemite, right! :)

Y2A_Alkis

Been there since day 1.
    Years
  • The only thing that I see is, that they all appeared in side games at some point. But I think this isn't special enough to be "it".

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Can't really help much with this since I'll only be on from my phone, but maybe it's something anime/manga/movie related?

If team 1 tries to poison any of us they risk being eliminated in case we're saved from the poison from the next challenge or by purchasing an Invincibility token. I suggest not using any elimination tokens for now.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • maybe it's something anime/manga/movie related?

For the anime, I've researched debuts, movie appearances, English voice actors, and the writers/storyboard artists/other production crew who worked on the episodes, among a few other things, and I couldn't find anything shared by all four Pokémon. The only things left for the anime that I haven't researched are Japanese voice actors and other international voice actors. There are obvious things such as all four have appeared as Pokémon not belonging to Ash or other main characters, but I doubt that is what Antemortem is looking for.

I also researched some TCG, and I still haven't found anything in common. The only things left that I haven't checked is artwork animators.

I haven't researched anything about the manga.

Were all of those four Pokémon designed by the same person?

Olli

Years
  • I thought the designer idea was good, but despite looking all over, I haven't been able to actually find out who designed those 4 specific ones. There was a usermade page on Bulbapedia that contained Pokemon listed by their designers, though none of them appeared. It'd also have to be one of the original designers that have stayed on the team all the way till gen 5, which I believe there were only 4 of.

Also they all have an odd number of letters in their names, with Magnemite and Volcarona having 9 and Shaymin and Nincada having 7

Last edited:

Y2A_Alkis

Been there since day 1.
    Years
  • Random thought: All pokemon have 4 things that could be classified as legs/limbs?
    Volcarona: 4 legs, not counting the wings
    Nincada: 4 legs
    Magnemite: 4 ends of the two magnets OR 2 magnets + two front screws
    Shaymin: 4 legs

Unfortunately, only 3 have had a held item of some sorts in the past - the only one who didn't is Nincada.

Other thought: All 4 are affected differently by ground moves, despite having some sort of means to fly/levitate? (Nincada's little wings on the back which are not fully evolved yet; and Shaymin's Sky Forme when it gets a Gracidea)

Last edited:

Olli

Years
  • Since there isn't much time left, I reckon we should just have a vote for which of our current guesses seems the most likely. If we have a big majority on one of our guesses, we'll just go with that one straight away, but otherwise, I reckon we should just post it within the last hour. Unless someone has another idea of course.

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • Is this really that hard or are we overlooking the obvious?

I thought that all Pokémon weren't available in Kalos, but Nincada can be found there, so... I'm out of ideas at this point. Have we checked all of the Pokédex data? Or has anyone researched manga appearances? Maybe what we're looking for is simpler than all of that...

They are all Pokémon
    They all have an odd amount of letters in their English names
    They were all never caught by Ash
    uhh... that's all I got haha

Olli

Years
  • At this point the fact that they're damaged normally by Dark and Ghost is what seems the most likely to me, but I just don't feel like that would be right.

Years
    • Seen Apr 16, 2020
    Since there's 30 minutes left someone should just post a guess as late as possible, I don't think team 1 has something so I don't think we risk anyone getting poisoned.

Back