• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2vs2 Team

TheNewRocketMovement

Nothing suits me like a suit.
Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    2vs2 Team (2011 VGC)

I'm trying to build a team for the Pokemon Video Game championships next year (www.pokemonvgc.com), I tried to attend this year but I couldn't enter as they had already reached their limit of entrants (Despite showing up an hour before registration was supposed to begin). I know that next years VGC could be using the Gen V games and could be 3vs3, but this year the battles are 2vs2 and each trainer was allowed to use 4 Pokemon, so based on this years rules, here is what I have so far.

289.png

Slaking @ Chople Berry
    Adamant Nature
    252 ATK / 128 S.DEF / 128 SPD
    Return
    Earthquake
    Aerial Ace
    Slack Off

Slacking is a psychical sweeper who will be able to attack uninterrupted after Gengar uses Skill Swap. Return is for a STAB, Earthquake is to damage both opponents (which can be done so safely while Gengar or Togekiss is Slaking's partner.) Aerial Ace and the Chople Berry are to counter Fighting types

94.png

Gengar @ Shed Shell
    Quiet Nature
    128 DEF / 252 S.ATK / 128 S.DEF
    Shadow Ball
    Psychic
    Pain Split
    Skill Swap

Gengar will use Skill Swap on Slaking and then switch with Togekiss (which is why I gave Gengar a Shed Shell, to save him from being trapped in battle with Truant). When he returns to battle he'll be a special sweeper.

473.png

Togekiss @ Light Clay
    Bold Nature
    252 HP / 128 DEF / 128 S.DEF
    Follow Me
    Light Screen
    Reflect
    Roost

Togekiss sets up dual walls to protect the team, if its still standing after setting up both walls, Follow Me will be used to give Slaking a turn to recover with Slack Off or attack. Once Togekiss is down, I'll send Gengar back out to sweep with Slaking.

471.png

Electivire @ Sitrus Berry
    Brave Nature
    252 ATK / 4 S.DEF / 252 SPD
    Thunder Punch
    Discharge
    Earthquake
    Low Kick

If Gengar faints first Electivire can use Earthquake (As Slaking will still have Levitiate). If Slaking faints first then Gengar will use Skill Swap to remove Electivire's only weakness and Electivire will safely be able to use Discharge as Gengar will have the Motor Drive ability.

Alternate ideas:

Spoiler:

Thank you very much for reading, all suggestions are welcome.

Last edited:

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ugh, I was hoping you wouldn't use a Slaking+Skill Swap combo. Okay, here's the biggest reason you should NOT use this strategy:

It's for noobs.
    Only noobs think this strategy is great and only noobs will get beaten by this. A good battler will see this strategy coming from a mile away and while easily find a way to beat it.

Oh yeah, Traunt doesn't prevent you from switching out, so Shed Shell is useless.

Besides that, you're current Natures/EV spreads don't even work for this strategy. Neither Slaking nor Gengar have Speed EVs. How do you expect a Pokemon to sweep without Speed EVs? Especially when it's a frail Pokemon like Gengar, who can get taken out by any strong attack in one hit.
    Even Slaking, who has pretty good defenses, will faint easily if it is double targeted.

The next bad thing is Electivire's Discharge. Discharge hits your Pokemon as well as your opponents. None of your Pokemon have Protect, none are immune to Electric, and Togekiss is even weak to Electric. So you're basically destroying yourself with this team.

Scrap this whole team, get rid of this strategy and find something new. Here's some strategies that WILL work in 2vs2:

Rain Dance
    Sunny Day
    Trick Room

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Last edited:

TheNewRocketMovement

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010
    Thank you for your feedback.

Oh yeah, Traunt doesn't prevent you from switching out, so Shed Shell is useless.

I know that, I gave Gengar Shed Shell incase an oppodent used a move like Mean Look or had Arena Trap

Discharge hits your Pokemon as well as your opponents. None of your Pokemon have Protect, none are immune to Electric, and Togekiss is even weak to Electric. So you're basically destroying yourself with this team.

I know, my plan was to only use Discharge when Gengar and Electivire were out together and Gengar had used Skill Swap on Electivire, which would have made Gengar immune to it.

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for pointing out what EV's I should change and what strategys would work better.

aragornbird

(。◕‿‿◕。)
    Years
  • ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Gengar is immune to Arena Trap and even without Levitate, no one uses Dugtrio/Trapinch in doubles. Also no one uses Mean Look in doubles either.

Also Gengar will not survive long enough to use Skill Swap twice. Heck, it probably won't be able to use Skill Swap even ONCE since it's so slow and will probably be KOed before it can move.

TheNewRocketMovement

Years
    • Seen Aug 27, 2010

Gengar is immune to Arena Trap and even without Levitate, no one uses Dugtrio/Trapinch in doubles. Also no one uses Mean Look in doubles either.

Also Gengar will not survive long enough to use Skill Swap twice. Heck, it probably won't be able to use Skill Swap even ONCE since it's so slow and will probably be KOed before it can move.

Good point, I'll admit I should've spent more time working on this

Back