• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Critical Captures

Altairis

take me ☆ take you
Years
  • A new capturing mechanic introduced in Generation 5; Critical Captures. Effectively, the Pokeball you used would become a Masterball and it would only shake once. The odds of you getting a CC increased as you caught more Pokemon. Did you ever get one, or maybe you never even knew about the mechanic before now?

Wobbu

bunger bunger bunger bunger
    Years
  • I love critical captures! They don't happen often, but they reduce the grind of catching Pokémon. Like, even when you had 99 Ultra Balls prepared for catching a Pokémon, the possibility of a critical capture eliminated all doubt of using all Ultra Balls and still failing to catch the Pokémon. Generally that's not a problem haha, but it's nice when you attempt to catch a rare Pokémon and land a critical capture after a couple throws. It saves some time.

Years
  • I liked this little feature because it made catching easier most of the time, but as was mentioned above it still has a small chance to fail. It was also cool 6th Gen retained the feature, and I hope it remains for many generations to come.

Musicality

~Musical Melodies~
    Years
  • A new capturing mechanic introduced in Generation 5; Critical Captures. Effectively, the Pokeball you used would become a Masterball and it would only shake once. The odds of you getting a CC increased as you caught more Pokemon. Did you ever get one, or maybe you never even knew about the mechanic before now?

Critical...what...Captures? :0

I'm completely out of the loop hahaha. This has never happened to me even once in Gen 5, so that may explain why. It's a nice thing to note though, this may actually motivate me to capture more Pokemon in the future. I've done some research on this, and apparently it greatly increase the chances of catching pokemon. But. It can still fail, apparently, it's not a guaranteed catch. It just bypasses the first two checks. I'm pretty sure this was never mentioned in game, or maybe I wasn't paying attention or talking to enough NPCs. Either way, it's a nice mechanic, and it can actually really come in handy with legendaries and the repeated ball throws.

Synerjee

[font=Itim]Atra du evarinya ono varda.[/font]
    Years
  • I really loved this feature. Whenever a critical capture happens, it would always be at the most unexpected moment, which makes a successful capture all the more sweet. I faintly remember that one of the critical captures happened while I was trying to capture a legendary. I gasped in surprise and waited with baited breath for the resounding click, but all of that quickly turned to heartbreak when the Pokemon broke free. ;~; That small chance of failing really let me down sometimes. I hope this feature carries on to future generations!

Years
  • I knew this existed, but it has never happened to me yet. I've seen it happen to others, so I have always kept my eye out for it, but have had no luck as of yet. Just unlucky I guess :/

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen today
    Critical captures are pretty nice, but I'm not a fan of the Pokédex species caught factor when determining whether it will happen. I'm not usually one to capture a ton a of Pokémon until the post-game, so I never really get to encounter it when I could really use it.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    Critical capture is a surprising feature, I welcome it, it's a great addition. It can be handy when catching Pokémon with low catch rates! It would have been great if this feature was introduced in Gen IV, it would be handy in Safari Zone for Johto/Sinnoh.

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • A Critical Capture only happened for me once, against a Cobalion. It's a pretty cool feature, I really like it. Boy, could I have used it trying to catch a Metang in Black 2 though, I spent like 4 hours trying to catch one lol.

Winter

[color=#bae5fc][font="Georgia"]KAMISATO ART: SOUME
    Years
  • I've experienced these a couple of times. One of them was on Virizion or Terrakion (one of the Musketeers anywho). That rushing rocket shuttle-like sound took me off guard and I went, "What the hell is going on?" It's like a hidden mechanic too so I really didn't know about it until I chanced upon it online. The name is funnily apt; it's like a critical hit version of Pokeballs, so rare and so effective.

LilyGardy

The Flowering Pokemon
    Years
  • I have been pretty lucky with these. In White 2 I caught Reshiram (Asleep and Yellow Health) with my first Ultra Ball and a Critical Capture helped me catch Akeld without using many Ultra Balls.

OliDSi

Pokemon Friend
    Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2015
    I remember my first critical capture. I was very surprised and I took it as a sign that the Pokemon wanted to come with me. Like he was saying "I want to join you! I'm coming willingly!". :D

Years
  • You have to admit my first reaction to a critical capture was me noticing "why is the sound different" and the the Poke Ball like hovered a bit before dropping. I once thought it was a glitch or something.

Years
  • I had a lot of good luck with these. Seemed like I got them 50% of the time and they almost always resulted in captures even if the odds didn't look to be in my favor. But that first critical capture against a Pidove really excited me initially since I wasn't sure what to expect, aha. Fun.

Years
  • They've occurred with during my playthroughs a few times, but I had absolutely no clue how they worked. I thought it had something to do with the type of Pokeball that you were using and the condition of the wild Pokemon. My luckiest crit capture would be in White, with Zekrom and the last Ultra Ball from my bag. The last one I can remember was with a Drilbur in White 2; I have yet to get a successful critical capture in any of the Gen 6 games.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • I thought they were alot of fun tbh i got only about 3 or 4 of them though but it was definately a cool moment when you realize omg i got a critical capture! They mostly happended towards the end of the game for me when i had almost 1200 pokes (:

Years
  • I thought they were alot of fun tbh i got only about 3 or 4 of them though but it was definately a cool moment when you realize omg i got a critical capture! They mostly happended towards the end of the game for me when i had almost 1200 pokes (:

You'd actually be aware that catching more Pokemon increases the chances of getting critical captures, so if you collect a lot of Pokemon expect them happening more often.

Sirfetch’d

Cool concept but I don't think I got more than one or two critical captures :( I even had a lot of Pokemon! Maybe I just have bad luck lol

Back