• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Pok?mon Red, Blue and Yellow coming to 3DS

Years
    • Seen May 13, 2022
    Pokémon Red, Blue and Yellow coming to 3DS

So the Direct confirmed that Red, Blue and Yellow will make their debut to the Virtual Console of the 3DS in Europe on February 27th. The games come with a build-in link cable. Not much else to say. Are you happy about this, are you going to buy them? I certaintly am! Discuss!

SaniOKh

Too old for this stuff
    Years
  • Yes, I'm definitely getting them. I might have the original cartridges and replaced the batteries, but... it's so much more convenient to just have them on my 3DS ^^.

Plus, I'm happy they finally figured out a way to make the link cable support, so there might be more multiplayer GB/C (and, who knows, maybe GBA?) games in the future.

And ultimately, this marks the point when the 3DS finally becomes the system that's able to play every single Pokémon story (the FRLG post-game being the only exception) , through original games or remakes, so that's cool too.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • I'm almost certain I'll end up buying atleast one of the titles once they're released. I love how they've also added wireless communication to fix the issue with trading and battling!

Nas160

Sometimes here...!
    Years
  • It was a great Direct, but this was undoubtedly the biggest announcement for me!

This a momentous occasion for Pokémon fans. This is the first time a core series game has made it to the Virtual Console! I was more surprised than I would have been normally since Game Freak had said once that they didn't want to/plan to re-release any of the core series games on VC. I guess there's really no telling what'll happen in these Directs. Maybe it took them so long because they were contemplating it until lately? Either way, this is big. I'm pleasantly surprised that you can actually trade and battle other people in it (I thought the lack of being able to use wireless communications was the reason they weren't putting them on VC), they really went all out with this.

This is great for kids or people like myself who've never owned the originals, and even for people who have played them before- we can all finally experience them on the 3DS. I know that they haven't aged all that well, I just want to experience the games that started the franchise in their original forms, with the bugs, music, shoddy sprites and all. People who've never played them can finally somewhat experience what it was like back then, and the others can re-live memories of the late 90's. The ability to battle and trade with other people is the icing on the cake!

As for which version I will get, I'm torn between Red and Yellow. On one hand, Red has Charizard (I always pick the fire starters, and Charizard's one of my favorite mons), but lacks color, while Yellow version has all the Pokémon, color, etc.

Either way, this was an amazing decision by Nintendo and GF. This will be a hell of a way to kick off what is looking to be a very memorable 20th anniversary. Here's hoping this will lead them to doing the same for GSC some time in the future! And RSE plz

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2022
    This was awesome news as the only (functioning) GB core title I have left if Yellow (I gave Blue to my sister, I never got Red).

Some people are suggesting that they should make Pokemon Bank compatible with these titles. That would be a cool additional feature but I don't see it happening. Trading being enabled, however, is a big thing.

KillerTyphlosion

Champion
    Years
  • Well, the reason gen 1 and gen 2 were not compatible with gen 3 was that they changed how the stats of pokémon worked. The pokémon were just not compatible. Since then the formula hasn't been changed. So no pokémon bank support, also it doesn't have WIFI support only local. Not that many people will play it local.

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • Yep, I'll definitely gotta buy 'em all, because it's one of the first Pokémon games that I ever played of (if playing on my cousin's GBC counts), but what surprised me is that they managed to make Link Cable work, which makes it just like playing on Gameboy again, good old days...

I'm so gonna get one, with Yellow being the first priority to get, and then Red and Blue later on.

Years
    • Seen Feb 9, 2024
    I sooo can't wait for this. I've been wanting to play these for quite some time. I wonder if we will be able to use the Pokebank at all.

Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2017
    Well, good old Ninty manages to surprise me again, gonna try to check this, the difficulty should be a nice change of pace (as long as op stuff is not abused).

Years
  • I still have copies of the original games, and they all work, so I was mostly like "oh okay cool" whenever they made that announcement.

However...now that I think about it, I might pick these up anyway (or at least blue and yellow, to match the versions I grew up playing) just for ease of playing them. I always have my 3DS close by, and this way if I ever felt like playing them I could just pick that up instead of having to hunt down my GBA. :P
    Plus no cleaning of cartridges required, that's gotta be a huge bonus.

Also, maybe for once I might actually be able to trade pokemon with someone else in one of those games, heh.

Years
  • I am so pumped and excited about this. I've wanted this for awhile. I have the original cartridges, but they don't work anymore. Now I can play the originals without worrying about a battery running out!

Please release Gold, Silver, and Crystal too.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
  • As I'm very excited for the Gen 1 is getting it. I am hoping for Gold, Silver and Crystal too. I know the game has a remake that is playable on the 3DS (HG, SS). I would love the nostalgic feel of the graphics those days. But Gen 1 R/B/Y games on VC is a great great step to the future! :)

Years
  • 13798406651259282862.GIF

Years
  • So no pokémon bank support, also it doesn't have WIFI support only local. Not that many people will play it local.

These may be the only downsides with the games, but at least the fact that these games are getting released in time for the 20th anniversary was some nice timing from their part. However, I have to admit I wasn't expecting the announcement when it hit.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I'm excited to hear about these re-releases, and I second the other opinions that I hope GSC re-releases will follow (since let's face it, whose original battery for GSC actually works anymore?)

While I wish we had wifi for them, local trading on the 3DS is a big step, and I'm excited about being able to play these games again without battery concerns and with full trading capabilities. It'll also be nice to start fresh with new save files (even though part of me wishes I could get my Mega Memory Card save files into the game). I didn't really play competitively in gen I until I started designing stadium teams years after the fact (and even then, there was a lot of "crush everything with Mewtwo"), so I'd like to do more of that. Also, thanks to the ability to get all of the games, I figure I can use one file (on one of my two 3DS systems) as a restartable base for getting extra TMs, one-time-obtainables, and the like.

Back