• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen Post game in Kanto

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
Years
  • So when RBGY game out we got to play in Kanto region. About a year or 2 later in GSC we got to play in the Johto region. But GSC was specail, after beating the game you get to revisit the Kanto region for the first time since RBGY, keeping in mind they only came out a year or 2 before. Also remember that apart from the remakes, GSC were the only games where you could play in 2 regions. My question for you is why do you think game freak did it?

Discuss ^_^

Last edited:
    Years
  • You could also play in two regions in Soulsilver and Heartgold but I get what you meant.

I dont know, they probably wanted to add something to the games, and bring some nostalgia back. I dont know, havent really though much about that lol.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    If I had to guess, I'd say GF tried to expand the world a little bit. I suppose Gold and Silver where supposed to be the last in the series anyway, but as the games became popular, GF realized that they could go on to the next games. The only difference being that they wouldn't put more than one region in the newer games (not couting remakes, of course), as they weren't even able to finish the gen 2 games completely. Two regions normally means twice as much work to put into a game and that in the same amount of time where you could easily build one single region and put a lot of addidional features in it.

Years
  • Well, since GSC were meant to be sequels to RBY if i'm not mistaken, where Team Rocket tried to take over three years ago, and Blue was the Champion before Red took his title, they may have wanted to showcase Kanto as the region where the events leading into the game happened. So I think that since they resumed from things in RBY they wanted to tie up loose ends here.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    This is one thing that had made Gold, Silver, and Crystal so special in my eyes, haha.

I had no idea that we were able to visit Kanto after defeating Pokémon League (like RGBY, I thought it was only a one-region game, and I couldn't use Internet to figure things out back then as I was restrictions when it came to that at the time), and when I'd first stepped foot, things seemed to have been rather exciting.

GSC arguably had the best post-game content thanks to this. We were able to fight against Team Rocket again, meet new friends and foes, battle more Gym Leaders, and so forth; it felt almost like an entirely new adventure, which is amazing.

Years
    • Seen Dec 24, 2015
    GSC were originally meant to be the last games in the Pokemon series(thats why a lot of gen 2 pokemon were meant for gen 1) so if the games were to end there it would be fitting to end where you started.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2023
    This is a big reason that makes Gold my favorite Pokemon game! I like it because it makes the game longer, and makes it quite a bit more challenging at the end. I would really like to see this with an upcoming game, or if Gamefreak would make a a sequel with 2 regions. Or we could have a game set in the future, where you beat all the gyms then the trainer can time travel back in the same region and can only fight the main and guy with beating eight more gyms and Elite 4 again. Anyways, Sopheria and I were talking about this the other day and she made a great point that Gamefreak planned to make the game a sequel and the last to the main games. Now I don't know if that's true, but I thought it was a plausible explanation.

Raburesu

Technology is incredible!
    Years
    • Seen Jun 11, 2023
    The notion that GSC were meant to be the last games in the series is one I've never seen before, and is quite a shock to hear. The initial success of Pokémon was both explosive and infectious, and I find it hard to believe they'd cut the series down in its prime. On the other hand, I suppose it's better to go out on a high note than to stop at this point in time, when many would argue there have been too many Pokémon games already.

Whatever Game Freak's intent was when returning to Kanto, it doesn't really matter, I think, because the experiences players had because of it were what decided what the trip meant to them.

I think the concept was great, but they were a bit too ambitious; as a result, the execution failed in some respects. Of course, the return to Kanto is one of the reasons GSC is held in high regard, though I assume that's because the majority of those who played it when it was new were kids who weren't necessarily experts on game design. A child would be thrilled at the chance to go back to Kanto, and in color with better graphics; they wouldn't be paying attention to the way the overworld was butchered and neutered, nor how the music was cut up, or even the atrociously low levels.

HGSS fix all of this, though, but somehow... I still prefer GSC in some ways...!

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    Pretty much like what previous posters posted, GF added the Kanto region because since the games were supposed to be the final games, they added Kanto to finish it off and in addition to that G/S/C are the sequels to Gen 1 and the game managed to have some extra space to include Kanto thanks to Iwata.

If I were to give my thoughts on the Kanto "post-game", it was a neat idea but poorly executed. The Kanto region just feels like a huge city with just gym and trainer battles without showing what's different about the cities unless you played the Gen 1 games, since the museum in Pewter City is closed and the Safari Zone in Fuschia City is closed etc. The only thing great about the "post-game" was Mt. Silver and the Red battle and that was in Johto, and that requires 8 badges in Kanto to go there. In addition to that, the story in Kanto is not much. All the reasons above are why I consider beating Gen 2 will be beating Red instead of Lance.

Back