• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

1st Gen Legendary Bird Trio

Years
    • Seen Mar 26, 2021
    Who is your favorite of the legendary Bird Trio? Did you find yourself using them in your team?

I like all of them in this Trio but Articuno would have to be my favorite of the three but I found myself using Zapdos the most on my team.

CJoE

スマイルは無料で? ?? �� �� ��
    Years
  • Articuno i guess. Besides it's beautiful blue feather, it's ice attack really interesting but even if it strong, i never used them in my team because it's become a lot easier to challenge people into fight.

Years
    • Seen today
    As a kid it was Zapdos and he was part of my team when I beat the League for the first time.

Nowadays it's Articuno.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • I like articuno as a usable and cool Pokemon but moltress design reminds me of like a young ho-oh, so I have always liked it

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    I have a Moltres but it is not as useful because I already have a Charizard and they're both considered fire/flying types. Zapdos is good because I could always shock people with thunder and is useful when battling water or flying type Pokemon. I like Articuno because I could use Ice Beam or Blizzard on my opponents. I find it very useful for flying, rock and grass type Pokemon but I find it super useful when going against a dragon type Pokemon like Lance Stephenson's Dragonite.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2019
    Zapdos.

It's faster than all three of the birds, and has electric typing that beats Flying.

Plus, it's pretty cool.

GiovanniViridian

A World Of Pain!
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2023
    I like Articuno and Zapdos equally both in terms of design and movesets, considering that Zapdos has Drill Peck and Thunder while Articuno has pretty powerful Ice attacks which are Ice Beam and Blizzard.

For Moltres on the other hand, Moltres only has Fire Spin which is not really a good attack in my opinion. Unless you saved that TM38 Fire Blast, the only good move from Moltres is Sky Attack and in my team I taught him a Fly HM due to the lack of good moves.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Zapdos.

It's faster than all three of the birds, and has electric typing that beats Flying.

Plus, it's pretty cool.
    Ice also beats flying as well as electric. Ice is also one of the only types that the birds have that can beat dragons easily.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • Articuno always has had a special place in my heart, but I find I also like Moltres, too. Although, the latter is a bit ruined for me after finding some ... "fanfiction" by someone who really shouldn't be allowed to utilize any understandable language.

Zapdos is a good design, but overall, I'm not really enamored by any legendary introduced in the first generation.​

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    Articuno always has had a special place in my heart, but I find I also like Moltres, too. Although, the latter is a bit ruined for me after finding some ... "fanfiction" by someone who really shouldn't be allowed to utilize any understandable language.

Zapdos is a good design, but overall, I'm not really enamored by any legendary introduced in the first generation.​
    How about Mew and Mewtwo?

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • Although I find Mew cute and Mewtwo fascinating (although, honestly, they could've gotten a lot darker with his character - and I would've enjoyed every minute of it), I feel like I'm not taken aback by any of them as being something I particularly want to catch. I mean, if everybody could catch wild Mews, I don't think I'd be concerned about using one. Super cute, though.

In fact, I think this goes double for the birds. They're just so plain. Instead of holding my breath with excitement as I approach their lair, I think about other, interesting legendaries.​

Years
  • I like Arcticuno, at the same time I'm not sure that it was always implemented optimally in the games and always seemed like it was being slightly regularised. This sort of carried through to the anime, where Arcticuno could be treated more as an Eeveelution of Pidgey than an Arcticuno as such. Probably agree on Zapdos, although Lugia for instance was decent to a point with Psychic and etc. eventually, you did feel that Zapdos was quite impressive and its combination of thunder-moves, flying-type moves and moves such as Light Screen was possibly the most interesting and integrated of the bird models in the game, although as said some of the future and present flying-type legendaries (...) did imply that it could be improved on, without always doing that. I quite liked how the legendary birds were found through the game in Red and Blue, it really added to that game's atmosphere and focus in a way that further games haven't generally managed, as it were.

Years
    • Seen Aug 31, 2019
    Ice also beats flying as well as electric. Ice is also one of the only types that the birds have that can beat dragons easily.

This is true, however Zapdos beats Articuno by a mile in Speed, so it most likely lands an attack faster and as a result beats Articuno.

If you want to bring up other Pokemon into this, Zapdos is actually the best competitively and Articuno is the worst. Articuno and Moltres both have a flaw in which they are both 4x weak to rock. Zapdos has electric and flying which are great types defensively, supporting electric's weakness while at the same time one of flying's weaknesses. It also has very well rounded stats, plenty of bulk and the best offensive stats out of the three birds. It has a very nice moveset for the time the Pokemon was created and has kept its place in the OU tier from the start until now.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
  • This is true, however Zapdos beats Articuno by a mile in Speed, so it most likely lands an attack faster and as a result beats Articuno.

If you want to bring up other Pokemon into this, Zapdos is actually the best competitively and Articuno is the worst. Articuno and Moltres both have a flaw in which they are both 4x weak to rock. Zapdos has electric and flying which are great types defensively, supporting electric's weakness while at the same time one of flying's weaknesses. It also has very well rounded stats, plenty of bulk and the best offensive stats out of the three birds. It has a very nice moveset for the time the Pokemon was created and has kept its place in the OU tier from the start until now.

^ Pretty much all of this.

Moltres would have been borderline gamebreaking in Gen II had it been able to learn Solarbeam on top of Sunny Day, but alas.

Years
    • Seen Dec 7, 2016
    ^ Pretty much all of this.

Moltres would have been borderline gamebreaking in Gen II had it been able to learn Solarbeam on top of Sunny Day, but alas.
    I wouldn't recommend getting a Moltres and actually using it if U chose Charmander as your starter because Charizard and Moltres are the same Pokemon type and also your Charizard can learn moves such as fire blast and overheat while your Moltres can learn not so useful moves such as fire spin.

Who's Kiyo?

puking rainbows
    Years
  • I really like Articuno. I never used it however because i wanted to keep it 'original'.

I think you basically put it into words how I feel about legendaries in general. I sometimes feel like using them at all is kind of "cheating" or "unoriginal."

The birds do make nice PC Box trophies, though. And they were nifty as bosses in the original PMDungeon.​

Back