• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Fanfiction Lounge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feign

Clain
Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    See but this usually happens to me when I watch TOO much of something. Like I might pass off a show. But binge watching doesn't help >.> XD

*is a little too fictionally impressionable* (no that does not mean you can indoctrinate me)

Lash

Years
  • What is your greatest enemy in writing (ignoring writers block)?
    I'd have to say being tired is my greatest enemy. I don't do a lot of writing during the day, and I get tired easily during the night. I'm usually asleep by the time I start writing.

Feign

Clain
    Years
    • Seen Jan 25, 2023
    What is your greatest enemy in writing (ignoring writers block)?

Having the time to actually be able to write. When you get older, you find that you loose more and more time to actually have fun. This whole "responsibility" thing sets in. XD

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Just got back from visiting my grandparents and now back to business.

Do you prefer to write in short bursts, or over long stretches of time?
    It depends, when there's inspiration I'll write longer, But when I'm writing filler, I tend to stick to short bursts.

For me it would have to be general laziness and procrastination.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I'd have to say being tired is my greatest enemy. I don't do a lot of writing during the day, and I get tired easily during the night. I'm usually asleep by the time I start writing.
    Seconding this. I've been tired these past couple of days because I've been searching for a car, and doing it online is straining on the eyes. So even though my mind is awake, my eyes aren't cooperating, and I can't see straight. So my big block is being physically tired.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
    Hmm, I think at the moment that it is odd/awkward description. I find it difficult to get the right amount of description into a piece of text, often underwriting. >_<

Misheard Whisper

[b][color=#FF0000]I[/color] [color=#FF7F00]also[/c
    Years
  • Ooooo however, I have thought of some good ideas for my fic as a result of watching too much Naruto (no I am not dipping into that canon but rather just taking some descriptive ideas).
    I do this all the time. Literally, exactly this. Shattered is incredibly heavily Naruto-influenced.

As for coming up with new ideas in the middle of writing, well, that's how all my other fanfics died. =]

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • I actually have an idea that's probably going to be my next fic. But I refuse to plan it properly and in detail or write even a bit of it yet, because I'm worried it would kill HWIMAR. XD;

Bay

Years
  • On the topic of ideas, I would actually try to incorporate the new ones I thought in my current fanfic (whatever that may be), and it worked well. If they're not ones I can be able to fit to the current story, either I turn it into a one shot or save it for another story.

What gets me frustrated is there's one fic you want to write but can't get new ideas for it pop up yet. When you do have ideas, it would fit better as a totally new story. @_@

Like Feign, the time issue and I can attest to that. I've been given a lot more responsibility in real life now than ever before, so I have to take care of that first. Even though this summer I can be able to have time to write another chaptered fanfic, I didn't because actually all of a sudden got a lot of things to do. Hence, why I wasn't able to finish my two one shots yet...long ones. ._.

Another thing is grammar. Whenever I proofread, I get worried if I have awkward sentences or used the wrong tense. I know I won't be able to catch them all, but I'm paranoid that I have a load of those mistakes in my chapter. x_x

Miz en Scène

Everybody's connected
    Years
  • Sparkling Dragon said:
    I do this all the time. Literally, exactly this. Shattered is incredibly heavily Naruto-influenced.
    Which explains Samuel's shuriken. XD

As for the conversation about fic ideas....
    I have plenty of other ideas but I'm scared to write it because i'm afraid it might kill TCNG. And of course, still working on Grammar at the OWL at Purdue.

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Overeagerness. I always look forward to writing the parts coming up over the parts I need to do now. To be fair, I tend to write many chapters and scenes concurrently which does help in keeping things consistent and cuts down on mistakes, but also leads to some parts not getting the attention they deserve.

dotKarma

FCs in Sig
    Years

What redstar said. I always want to jump ahead to the exciting parts, and skip over the parts in between.

Vigilante

Ringleader of Hell
    Years
    • Seen Dec 26, 2009
    Originality. I have trouble with it. Especially after I played a good game, read a good book, or watched a good movie. It usually sounds very similar to something that I have read/played/watched and I end up deleting it all.

Oh, and I quit the writing to see if something would come to me. I got my inspiration from a short drabble, and that short drabble will make up some of my first chapter. Good news is I think that I will get my prologue and first chapter up sometime tonight/very early tomorrow morning.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Sparkles said:
    That's it, Citrinin. Resist the urge. Be strong. Don't let it go the way of Faith.
    Indeed. :3 Apart from the fact that writing a second one makes it easier to drop one of them in favour of another, but it's also higher pressure to write. I'd hate fanfiction to ever feel like a job. ;P

Lash

Years
  • Do you ever rewrite chapters/one shots even if you're not forced to (ex., computer reset while writing chap. without saving)?
    Yes. I thought I was damn near screwed when my laptop got reset before I could save my nearly finished chapter, but I realized I sent a draft to myself via PM. '

But, I chose to start from scratch after thinking how I could make my writing better. I mean, here's an example:

When this:
    Spoiler:

Becomes this:
    Spoiler:
    [/actual spoiler for the first bit of the chapter, lol.]

I think improvement can be noticed, pretty sure I could do a bit better.

I think the real reason why I'm rewriting this when I have something to go back on is because the first version seems forced. I don't think writing while it feels forced is a very good idea, I'm sure.

Citrinin

Nephrotoxic.
    Years
  • Do you ever rewrite chapters/one shots even if you're not forced to (ex., computer reset while writing chap. without saving)?
    I've never rewritten a full chapter without needing to do so, but I have rewritten large portions before.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
  • Do you prefer to write in short bursts, or over long stretches of time?

I usually sit down and pound out a chapter like a madman, but there's huge intervals between each chapter. So I don't really know how to answer that question.

Also, one of my antagonists just had his Weavile killed, and then was burned to near-death before finally consuming the residual fear left in his partner's body to repair his own by using one of those red orbs found around Misdreavus' necks, thus merging the very essence of his physical existence with those of darkness and ice. The last bit happens just after he realizes what a jerk he's been, how much of a waste his life of crime was, and that in order to continue living he'll have to literally combine his body with what he now despises.

I should teach a class in building tragic characters or something. This seems to be a recurring theme.

Last edited:

Bay

Years
    With NE, loads. D: Seriously, even when I finished the story, I would delete and rewrite scenes. Usually I never have to rewrite a whole chapter as the events I planned for the story are more/less so the same even when I write whole scenes. However, I actually rewrote all of Chapter 13.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2016
    Do you ever rewrite chapters/one shots even if you're not forced to (ex., computer reset while writing chap. without saving)?
    Of course. Sometimes I love it when my work is deleted because I find I always rewrite it quicker, more efficiently, and the prose flows more easily from my hands rather than stagnant narrative. Bring it on, computer!

I also bring back old stories I've written that I couldn't express how I wanted back then. I'm bringing back two such stories and tying them together into a single continuity, the Ghost Machine Collection.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back