• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

How do you fight for a better world?

Pokeyomom

Hoenn no you didn't...
Years
  • i want to become a chef but thats not gonna help anyone

You don't know that- you will be combating hunger+) I hold chef's in high regard haha. Thanks for your service Agent Colbat:D I don't think people have enough respect for what you guys do, and when decisions higher up in the chain of command dictate what the grunts gotta do- idiots blame you guys. I'm sure we disagree in many regards, but I still have the decency to respect the young men and women of our armed forces.

@ Vendak- some of your statements appear to be well founded, but you are extremly biased. I don't like war either, in fact it's deplorable in every respect. But as Plato said "only the dead have seen the end of war". As you and AgentColbat have just demonstrated- human beings love selective abstraction, and will dichotomize anything they possibly can. That sort of black and white thinking is a great cause of much suffering in the world. I hope you understand what I mean by that? you have to logically think the whole scenrio out (not just resort to raw emotions).

By the sheer gravity of your post, I assume you would do away with the armed forces completely? Maybe I'm wrong, but that's pure lunacy imho, and so is the stance to pour all of our economic resources into them. Whether it makes you feel all warm in fuzzy inside or not, there are alot of crazy people out there who would love nothing more than a Tyrannical sweep of unprotected masses. (Hey!, It's only been happening since the dawn of modern humanity!)

As far as what I do- well you could just say I just sprinkle a little common sense on the fire every once in awhile.. Plus I pick up litter:D

Agent Cobalt

Proud U.S. Army Soldier
    Years
  • Britain abolished slavery in 1833, America didn't make the abolishment until 1865. Maybe if they hadn't been so keen to rid themselves of the British there could have been a few changes for the better.
    Slavery had been part of a much larger debate about British tyranny. It was imported here under the English legacy, not the American one. The greatest threat to freedom of all Americans was the overbearing Empire, not slavery. Bad as it was, slavery could have been worked out on our own, but the British Empire made it clear time and time again their unwillingness to compromise and their steadfast determination to keep us in bondage.
    America didn't seem too concernced about Nazi Germany or Imperial Japan before the Pearl Harbour event. After that they were only concerned about their reputation and any possible future attacks, there was no intention of a 'great conquest to save the world'.
    FDR said:
    And, O Lord, give us faith. Give us faith in Thee; faith in our sons; faith in each other; faith in our united crusade. Let not the keenness of our spirit ever be dulled. Let not the impacts of temporary events, of temporal matters of but fleeting moment - let not these deter us in our unconquerable purpose. With Thy blessing, we shall prevail over the unholy forces of our enemy. Help us to conquer the apostles of greed and racial arrogancies. Lead us to the saving of our country, and with our sister nations into a world unity that will spell a sure peace - a peace invulnerable to the schemings of unworthy men. And a peace that will let all men live in freedom, reaping the just rewards of their honest toil. Thy will be done, Almighty God. AMEN.
    The United States got in late, absolutely. Once in, though, our goals were clear. And even before entering, we made it a huge part of our policy to fight the Axis Powers through programs like Lend-Lease. We did our best to arm, aid, even feed our allies in an attempt to undermine and halt the Axis Powers. So throw away the historical revisionism.
    You're also quick to attack communism, the Soviet Union was also fighting against the Axis powers during WWII, but I suppose they were just fighting for selfish reasons with the intention of spreading their dirty communism throughout the world, they weren't fighting for the greater good of the world like America were, right?
    Three words- The Phony War. The Soviets, up until their invasion by the Nazis, were the willing co-conspirators of the Nazis and Axis Powers. For some time the USSR was considered by many as part of the Axis. They worked alongside the Nazis to conquer, dominate, and tear apart Europe for their empire.
    America didn't 'liberate' anyone from communism.
    I think South Korea, the Dominican Republic, Greece, Nicaragua, Afghanistan, and Eastern Europe would disagree.
    I would have thought that the aftermath of WWI the "War to End All Wars" would've shown that war is not the best way to prevent future conflicts.
    That equation is missing something. What did we do after the war? Oh right, we disarmed, as did the world. I'll repeat myself- War comes, not when the forces of freedom are strong, but it's when they're weak that tyrants are tempted.
    It's usually caused because of selfish reasons, not for the the greater good, killing people never does anyone any good. The United States is not on a mission to make the world a better place, its goal is to improve itself, regardless of how it will effect other nations.
    Killing sure ended the Pacific War and brought peace there. It ended the War in Europe. Killing has done a lot of good and helped keep the peace. When's the last time Germany's invaded a democracy? It's called the Democratic Peace. The United States is not actively liberating everyone, no, but it is benefiting the world with its actions against our enemies, for our enemies are the world's enemies.
    Yes, killing people does have quite a large impact, not a very good one though.
    I think the Afghans would disagree. Or should we have bribed the Taliban?
    There are quite a few humanitarian aid organisations that don't kill people.
    Yeah, and how effective are they? I still see global warming activists running around, but every day I'm learning we're even closer to Armageddon. My point was that I'm actually being active in solving real problems for real people.
    This is so ironic. But if you kill thousands it's okay, right? Because you're killing in the name of peace & justice, but most importantly you're killing in the name of America.
    I don't see the irony. There are completely different reasons for said killings.

Zet

Years
  • I help the world by killing the stupid and religious zealots.

I help the earth by keeping the food chain/circle of life intact by staying under zombies and being above everything else. I also throw my rubbish in a bin

Years
  • I don't know if this counts or not, but I like to take public transportation instead of driving if I need to go somewhere. Other than recycling my cans of soda I drink, I don't think I do any helpful stuff at all. I think I add to the problems.

jupotatoes

Yeah buddhay!
    Years
  • People, cut the insanity, this thread is not meant to discuss wether or not war is a good thing. If you keep on like that, I'll have to fight for a better thread and call a mod.
    Mario, public transportation is a very good thing. I take the bus whenever I can't ride my bike somewhere.

Syrex

[b][i][COLOR=black][font=Rock Salt][glow=green]Hen
    Years
  • People, cut the insanity, this thread is not meant to discuss wether or not war is a good thing. If you keep on like that, I'll have to fight for a better thread and call a mod.
    Mario, public transportation is a very good thing. I take the bus whenever I can't ride my bike somewhere.

Where I live, We have zero public transportation..

no buses, nothing.

Klippy

L E G E N D of
    Years
  • I battle the Sith forces in hopes to regain the once proud name of the Republic and strike back against the Empire. With my lightsaber.

Back