• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2nd Gen How did you get past Whitney?

Years
  • Age 35
  • Seen Oct 18, 2016
Easy: I grinded my Feraligatr to level 40 just for the sake of it and then spanked that Cow out of the Gym.

Hands

I was saying Boo-urns
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen yesterday
Last time I played I had a fairly buff Granbull who kinda just took the hits and dealt hard damage back

Geodude6

It's just me.
Years
  • Age 26
  • Seen Mar 16, 2024
This was in the remakes, but I used Zubat's Supersonic so Rollout wouldn't get too powerful, then switched to Croconaw and went to town.

Devil in the Mirror

We Stitch These Wounds
Years
I recently did a Nuzlocke of Silver. I had a female Graveler in the front of my party. Whitney didn't stand a chance.

I've played through gen 2 about a million times though, so I can't remember what I did the first time or most of the times or whatever. I think usually I just would fight her repeatedly until I won. Probably paralyzed her Pokémon if I could. I paralyze a lot of my enemies.

Limey-chan

Batzu
Years
I pretty much relied on sheer power. Onix/Graveller, the trade Machop in Goldenrod, Heracross, Nidorino (Double Kick), basically anything with a half-decent physical attack stat.

I really can't ever recall having as many problems with Whitney as other people seem to..

blue

gucci
Years
Just pure luck thanks to Croconaw with Ice Punch from the last I remember. Unfortunately, I didn't even know about the Machop trade until years later, that would have helped a lot back then.

Years
I grinded my only Pokemon at the time Which was Quilava I did not really raise my Pokemon back in the day sadly Defeating her was easy As my Quilava was at level 25 at the time.

Years
Having a rock type did help me alot since we can get onix or geodude soon! other than that, It depend how well you play and lucky as well.For me, Whitney never was a challenge since I love to ruin her strategy with poisoned her miltank with a grass type then changeto geodude and take the hit until miltank faint! :)

Charlie Brown

[font=lato]coolcoolcool[/font]
Years
I actually never struggled with Whitney. I know I used Status moves on her Miltank to tip the odds in my favour, and I relied a lot on my Geodude to resist its Stomp and Rollout.

Palmer-Granate

The Champion Jester
Years
I don't remember exactly how I managed to beat her the first time, but it was with a Croconaw w/out Ice Punch. Nowadays, I use Heracross, around 18-25. I may include an Oddish and a Totodile/Croconaw w/ Ice Punch.

Looking back, w/ Stomp and the perpetual strength of Rollout, it would be difficult to defend. W/ Milk Drink and Attract, it would be difficult to attack. Even Clefairy can give you a run for your money if unprepared. But because of Whitney, I was able to rever it and use it against Lance's Dragonite. Every time I face her, I don't hold back. Thanks for giving her a thread.

smocks

fiat lux
Years
I had no trouble with Whitney, I don't really recall how I got past her but I think its because I was lucky enough that she didn't spam Milk Drink

I have very good luck in these games lol

The Real AAA

Guess who's back!
Years
i remember a bit. that was a long time ago lol. 2000 or 01. ah idk. well i had filler pkmn. i leveled up. and i had those hp things that u buy from the stores

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Dec 23, 2016
I always saved before I battled, and trained only 1 pokemon until whitney so that I can be on par with miltank. Still died a bunch of times lol.

calenlily

Water trainer with a Rowlet addiction
Years
I just got the trade Machop in Goldenrod (and made sure the Pokemon I caught to trade for it was female, so I'd get a female Machop), trained it up a bit just outside of town (but really just a few levels, not a lot at all), and never had any trouble with her.

The ghost gym in Ecruteak on the other hand, that's the one that drove me crazy.

Dragon

lover of milotics
Years
My pokemon were decent level back then (like around level 19~25ish), so, I didn't have much difficulty. Clefairy wasn't much trouble at all, Metronome didn't really do all that much. With her Milktank I remember she did end up using Rollout, but thankfully my Sandshrew resisted that and managed to pick it off thanks to Poison from Poison Sting, and a few Scratch attacks. I think it got pretty low as a result? Still, it was close!

kitarei

☕ milk tea & 💻 code.
Years
All I remember is she made me cry long before I made her cry...

I still have nightmares of Rollout :(

Back