• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Things that kids today don't understand about gaming

Satoshi Ookami

Memento Mori
Years
Reviews are subjective, NOT objective.

A high score means absolutely **** all, it is no indication of a game's quality whatsoever. It is an indicator of how much that one individual - whose experience will not be entirely the same as yours - enjoyed that particular title. Reviewers are incapable of objectivity. The only difference between an "official" review and someone's opinion is that one is published and the other is not.

This is not a wholly new thing, but the situation with reviews has gotten significantly worse these days, to the point that if a game gets anything less than a 7 it's regarded as mediocre, and the judgement of reviewers is considered iron-clad. Kids these days use official reviews as fencing tools in an effort to "prove" how good or bad a game is, not as another piece of evidence to judge for themselves whether or not they will enjoy a game, which is the whole point of a review. Kids these days let reviewers do their thinking for them, and attach far too much value to scores that ultimately mean nothing.

A lot of sites that review games have done away with antiquated scoring systems, but the more well-known ones, as well as the magazines, still use it. It's still a problem. A huge one. It's been a problem for years, but eh. You'd think people would have gotten a little moe progressive by now.
I would add Youtubers to this.

Just because it was on popular Youtuber's channel (most likely means he was paid to advertise it), it doesn't make it a good game.

Years
1. The fact that early PlayStation consoles used Memory Cards...

2. That Crash Bandicoot didn't use Analog Sticks.

Ammako

I hate you. You know who you are.
Years
  • Seen Feb 1, 2018
That if you treat other players like shit you are only ruining the game for them and contributing to its death.

Years
  • Age 37
  • Seen yesterday
Having the controller's cord be too short to cover the distance between chair and console, so you have to sit on the floor with your head tilted up in order to play.

Also, giant AC adapters, not enough outlets, and not being able to just look up information online on how to beat the game.

Melody

Banned
Years
That feeling when you FINALLY beat that game after struggling hard for so long trying to do so. Too many never ending games makes beating it less motivating.

Finding a new or novel way to overcome a particular game challenge.

mew_nani

Pokécommunity's Licensed Tree Exorcist
Years
Hearing rumors about cut levels and hidden characters from your friends and not being able to look those up or hack the game up to see if they were there. Game hacking itself was also nonexistent at one point; nobody knew how to crack into games and read or edit the code, so stuff like ROM hacking was unthinkable to everybody but Chinese bootleg companies.

Also fake cartridges and such. Those used to be sorta abundant, but not anymore.

Eden

Right you are, Ken!
Years
Sitting there for five hours trying to move a stupid truck to get Mew or beating the Elite Four a hundred times to get Lugia in Seafoam Islands because some guy at school or on the internet said it was legit. Nowadays people will have a game cracked really fast so you can tell which rumors are legit and bull before you even pop the game into the system.

Also split screen multiplayer in First-Person Shooters where you're trying to not look at everyone else's screen, giving out their position.

Arsenic

[div=font-size: 18px; font-family: 'Kaushan script
Years
The thick and hardy expansion packs you used to be able to get with games, that added more than 3 new items and a handful of maps that had been done before the game went gold.

Electricbluewolf

Bᴇ pıɟɟǝɹǝuʇ
Years
Any that wasn't rechargeable-playing the Gameboy and it runs out of juice on the road? Tough, buy some batteries.
Also backscreen lighting. You either had to play in daylight or get those god-awful attachments that didn't work.

Years
  • Seen Sep 18, 2020
Having to save the game manually, and the consequences of forgetfulness or neglect. On a related note, I've only recently become accustomed to using quicksaves and occasionally load such a save that I made far earlier in a session and negate substantial amounts of progress. Data loss from human error will always be a problem, it seems.

Years
Having to save the game manually, and the consequences of forgetfulness or neglect. On a related note, I've only recently become accustomed to using quicksaves and occasionally load such a save that I made far earlier in a session and negate substantial amounts of progress. Data loss from human error will always be a problem, it seems.

To be honest, I am sure there are games that are still released with manual saving in this day and age...

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 23, 2017
Hearing rumors about cut levels and hidden characters from your friends and not being able to look those up or hack the game up to see if they were there. Game hacking itself was also nonexistent at one point; nobody knew how to crack into games and read or edit the code, so stuff like ROM hacking was unthinkable to everybody but Chinese bootleg companies.

Also fake cartridges and such. Those used to be sorta abundant, but not anymore.

I keep that alive myself by not really focusing too much on news on games unless it is E3. Followed the new for Pokemon Gen V and that was what ruined it for me. I enjoy going into games pretty blind. Though I think finding a legit GBA era Pokemon game is super hard since some many fakes do exist. My friend was cheated so much

To be honest, I am sure there are games that are still released with manual saving in this day and age...

Digimon CS is one. No autosave though I think in away that is good since at times autosave can screw you over.

Years
Playing a game without checkpoints. Or with only a few of them. A lot of games today have a whole lot of them, it's not a bad idea. But it makes the game too easy sometimes, specially on not so difficult situations that just take practice to pass. You just play without a worry because you know there's a checkpoint, haha.

Yeah, especially if you can actually DESTROY the few checkpoints there is, making them unusable...

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
Years
  • Age 35
  • NCR
  • Seen Nov 11, 2019
Back in my day, we actually learned how to appreciate level design in a First Person Shooter game in order to understand the dynamics of enemy placement, ammunition and other power ups placement, the number of enemies, the types of enemies in a certain level or map, and even taught us to actually explore areas for hidden goodies such as secrets and more guns and ammo.

It doesnt have to be just in FPS. Probably the reason why I still love playing older games with just about anything within pre 2010's is that I really love the level design in many old games where all of the metrics that I just splurted out were tested. I did mention older school FPS games because i felt that one of the most important aspects in those kinds of games was level design. It really mattered how one looked at not just the appearance of the map or level, but how the dynamics of offering challenge was made. These dynamics or metrics all consider the map or stage itself, the kinds of enemies in said map, the number of enemies, the pickups, and other obstacles. I felt like saying this because its one of the things i really miss. And I'm not just saying this to point out that most newer games tend to forget the emphasis of proper level design, but as a nice little message for those who want to be future game developers. Most of the youngis these days just like to run, shoot, and kill things and complain about a certain level or map being hard without considering the level design and all of the said metrics.

Yeah. Im hoping that Doom 4 lives up to what we enjoyed in FPS.

Last edited:
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 23, 2017
I would say memory cards but I remember Vita. I guess cheap memory cards lol

Minun172

Still waiting for a new Mega Man game.
Years
Difficulty and lack of tutorial of some games. (1979 - 2011)

How many platformers there were than FPSers. (1980's - 2010)

2D graphics from handhelds (1998 - 2011)

2D graphics from consoles (1979 - 2002)

Cheaper prices (2001 - 2011)

Why there are so many Pokemon and why we can't obtain most of them for X and Y

"Why does my 3DS boot up slower than your DSI?"

"Why is Jynx not purple?"

"Why is the music all beeps and bloops? This isn't real music dammit! Where's my phone? I wanna play some good music like Skrillex, Eminem, and Taylor Swift!"

"This boxart looks nothing like the game!!"

" That isn't Dante!"

"Who's this Mega Man person and why does he have 134 games?"

Last edited:
Back