• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Which starter did you choose?

Years
Hmm, lemme see...

Ruby: Torchic
Fire Red: Charmander

Notice the trend here? Yeah, I always go for the Fire-type. It's just this weird, nostalgic ritual of mine to always choose the Fire starter, namely because Charmander was the first one I picked, dating all the way back to the good ol' days of Blue version.

If it weren't for that, I might have gone with Treecko, 'cause I thought it looked cool. But nay, nostalgia still won that battle.

Zelda

⍃⍍⍄ ⍃⍍⍄
Years
  • Age 8
  • +
  • Seen Sep 15, 2020
Torchic being my favorite out of the three Hoenn starters, I chose it for Sapphire while with Emerald I chose my next favorite, Mudkip. :P This was a long while ago, and I'm surprised I still have them both; just fully evolved.

For LeafGreen I chose Charmander out of all three starters in the Kanto region. I found this a harder decision seeing as all three are pretty much equal in favoritism for me. :(

Guy

just a guy
Years
First play through I went with Torchic and Bulbasaur.

I didn't like Treecko that much when I first saw it, but I gotta say, if I were to restart on my Ruby version right now, Treecko is the chip I'll be choosing. At the same time, while I like all the Kanto starters, since then, I've turned out to be more of a Squirtle kind of guy.

Ayselipera

I picked Torchic first and then used it for months afterwards every time I restarted, that's how I loved it. So I don't remember even getting to use the other two starters till way after the game was first released. Which my second choice was then Treecko which I also loved and last, but not least I used Mudkip. I never really liked Mudkip that much so I know I didn't even bother getting around to using one until almost a year after the games were released. It's Swampert that makes it so unlikeable. D:

Then for FR/LG I ended up getting a Charmander because I never really got to use one before besides in Yellow, but I was horrible back then. So it was a moment of redemption. :D I'm pretty sure my second choice was Bulbasaur. Which back then I liked Bulbasaur and Squirtle equally so it was kind of a random pick between the two. Then of course I used Squirtle last.

I'm not sure how those two ended up going in the same type order, but whatever. xD

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
Years
  • Seen Nov 10, 2015
I end up using all of the starters almost equally. Unfourtunately, this means I get bored of em pretty fast haha. If I remember right, I did Treecko for my first Ruby playthrough (still my fav for gen III), and squirtle for LG? Maybe it was Bulbasaur... All I know is that I'm sick of Blastoise. Once I finish LG, I'll start again with Bulbasaur. I've never liked the fire types, and i seem kinda alone in this haha.

hazard master

Self Proclaimed Genius
Years
My first ever game was ruby, so I didn't know what I was doing, picked Treeko cuz he looked cool. Then I got stuck on winona and had to restart XD. Then I picked tochic and basically solo ran the entire game with Blaziken. For fire red I choose charmander because torchic got me into fire Types.

Years
I've chosen Mudkip every time I've played through Emerald (and believe me, I have done so several times), it's the only Hoenn starter I like at all. As for LeafGreen, I chose Bulbasaur for my first playthrough, and Squirtle for the second. I'm not a big a fan of Charizard, and Ninetales is my favourite Pokémon, so I usually save a spot for the latter if it's available in the game.

Years
  • Seen Feb 24, 2011
I usually start with grass types too, I think everytime there would be a new generation grass types owns them all. Much like Snivy, Treecko, Bulbasaur, Chikorita.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Aug 21, 2021
I just restarted Ruby and picked Torchic. I figured a restart was in order since my importing of pokemon to soul silver left me with a lone Staryu in my team. :p

Torchic was the first Hoenn starter I picked in Sapphire (got sapphire before Ruby)

MasterTobias

Pokémon Map Hacker/Pro 'Baller
Years
Obviously we've probably restarted a TON of times on these games, but your first time playing RSE and FRLG, who did you choose? I chose Torchic and Charmander, respectively. Gotta love Fire types! :)

I went with Squirtle (which I then continued to nick "Lary" and leveled up to level 100 by Giovanni's last battle) and Treecko (man, that Sceptile was beastly!)

Blaziken15

You gotta purty mouth!
Years
In R/S/E, I chose Torchic because I like fire types. I then learned that evolved into a fighting type which was and still is my favorite type. It also evolves into my favorite Pokemon, Blaziken!

In FR/LG, I started with Bulbasaur because Grass and Poison is an epic combo.

Back