• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ultimate Monotype Challenge Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    UMC - Water
    Kanto/Pokemon Yellow - Update 3

Moving quicker than expected, though I suspect things will slow down majorly in Johto.

-After defeating Erika, I infiltrated the Rocket Hideout in the Game Corner. The puzzle was more simple than I remembered.
    -With the Silph Scope in hand I put Marowak's soul to rest and got the Pokeflute.
    -With Snorlax awake, I trained on all the trainers between Lavender and Fuchsia as well as the bike trail.
    -Completed Safari Zone for Strength and Surf, which is a godsend for all my Water Pokemon.
    -Defeated Koga. This was the first leader I was underleveled on so I grinded a bit.

Koga Gym Battle

I prefer his team on Red and Blue. His Venonats were a little annoying but overall an easy match.

-Went back to Saffron and infiltrated Rocket's Headquarters, I still can never remember which teleporter to step on.
    -Easily defeated Giovanni with my water types and got my Masterball which I won't end up using
    -Defeated the Fighting Dojo and boxed my Hitmonlee
    -Took on Saffron Gym.

Sabrina Gym Battle

Sabrina is my favorite Kanto Gym Leader. Again, I prefer her Red and Blue team, but the higher levels were nice. Her Alakazam was strong, but couldn't really do anything to Starmie.

-Was very giddy to surf to Cinnabar to finally revive my sixth and final team member, Omanyte. I skipped the swimmers so I could go back and train him, which took a while, but he finally caught up to the rest of my team thanks to the speed button.
    -Went through the abandoned mansion, which might be my least favorite part of the game. Though it was easy training for my Pokemon.
    -Stomped Cinnabar Gym.

Blaine Gym Battle

As expected, his Fire Pokemon just weren't going to fair against Water Pokemon at this level. I actually like his team a lot more than his Red/Blue one.

And now it's back to Viridian City! My next update should end my Kanto saga.

Current Team:

Lv. 48 Starmie

Lv. 48 Seaking

Lv. 48 Cloyster

Lv. 49 Blastoise

Lv. 50 Vaporeon

Lv. 50 Omastar

Love these guys!

Last edited:

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
  • UMC: Heart Gold (Ground Types)
    Update 2

• Bugsy was easy. Rock Throw owned all of his Pokemon.
    • Withdrew Totodile to teach Cut when I get it.
    • Fought James. Rock Throw beat Gastly. Selfdestruct beat Bayleef. Zippy's Slam beat Zubat.
    • Got through Ilex Forest and evolved Zippy into Quagsire.
    • Went to the Goldenrod Underground to grind some more.
    • Made my way to the Gym and beat Whitney. Miltank was hard because of Attract, but eventually Zippy got it done.
    • Grinded all the way to Ecruteak City, evolved Gio.

Spoiler:

Ciax

Ledian Used Starlight!
    Years
  • Wow. I just realized I have the same team as Sacr3d Fire.

Well there isn't much choice in fire types for the 1st generation. The only other two are ponyta and vulpix. Vulpix and Growlithe are version exclusives so the normal team size would be 4. haha

jdthebud

Engineering Solutions
    Years
  • Well there isn't much choice in fire types for the 1st generation. The only other two are ponyta and vulpix. Vulpix and Growlithe are version exclusives so the normal team size would be 4. haha
    Don't forget Magmar! I used him, Charizard, and Flareon in RBY.

qw13

Please do not read this text.
    Years
  • Well, i just was doing One-in-Each but i got bored so i decided to do another game. This time Fire on Firered. Well, of course i will continue Grass-Platinum but later :D
    Anyway here is progress:
    -Did beginning stuff.
    -Got Draco the Charmander.
    -I am locked to Charmander until Lavender, so i am skipping most parts.
    -Draco evolved after battle with Brock.
    -Draco evolved again on Nugget Bridge.
    -Got to Lavender Town. (I really skipped but nothing happened on that time)
    -I skipped most trainers.
    -Caught Growlithe(Leo) and (by hacking) Vulpix(Kyuubi).(I hacked because there is 6 fire Pokemon and Magmar and Ponyta is after Elite 4 and i at least need a fourth member.)
    -Got Pyro the Eevee.
    -Bought three Fire Stones.
    -Evolved Pyro to Flareon.
    -Deposited two other.
    -Now training.

Here is team: (I am not putting images because i don't have time)
    Draco the Charizard Lvl 45
    -Flamethrower
    -Wing Attack
    -Slash
    -Dig

Pyro the Flareon Lvl 27
    -Quick Attack
    -Sand Attack
    -Helping Hand
    -Growl

Leo the Growlithe Lvl 21
    -Ember
    -Odor Sleuth
    -Leer
    -Roar

Kyuubi the Vulpix Lvl 20
    -Quick Attack
    -Will-o-Wisp
    -Roar
    -Leer

Can you say where can i train them?

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
    Update 3

• Realized I needed something to help me against James' Bayleef, so I doubled back and caught a Nidoran M. Nicknamed him Nieds, which means he'll follow me through to the next game. :D
    • Grinded Nieds into Nidorino. I am actively searching for a Moon Stone.
    • Went back to Burned Tower and beat James.
    • Not ready to take on Morty yet, so I faced the Gym trainers and then went over to Route 38 to grind some more.
    • Went back to face Morty. Gengar was tough but Rock Throw beat him for good.
    • Made my way to Olivine City and now making my way up the Lighthouse.

Spoiler:

Years
    • Seen Jan 15, 2023
    I'm gonna put my Fire UMC on hold for now. I've got a lot other stuff to worry about, and this challenge is lowest on my priority list.

MMundy777

Aspiring Gym Leader
    Years
  • I read this and decided to give it an "unofficial" try...and I must say it has been extremely challenging yet so much fun! I am currently in the middle of doing an Electric UMC in LG...

I just beat Erika/finished Pokemon Tower and team includes:

Raichu 32
    Electrode 32
    Jolteon 33
    Raichu 32

Sacr3d Fire

Rock the house with fire
    Years
  • Update #4 on my Fire-type UMC.

-Bought alot of revives and hyper potions.
    -Defeated 1st member of the E4.

-Defeated Bruno, Machamp was a pain..

-Agatha was easy Flareon almost killed em all.
    -Lance's Dragonite was a real pain almost ran out of revives but Charizard killed em all with dragon claws.
    -Defeated Green, his blastoise's hyro pump was a pain,thank god he only had 5 of em, once blastoise defeated it was easy to finish the rest of his team.

-Being a champion is very cool...

Lunacrest

has ninja'd: 2600
    Years
  • qw13, in the route above Vermilion City, there is a Bug Catcher below the Camper and the Picnicker who are having a private conversation. If you beat his Butterfree, it awards 685 EXP, a massive amount at your Pokemon's level. What's even better is that the VS. Seeker is found in Vermilion City, so you could take him on as many times as you'd like.

Years
    • Seen Dec 11, 2014
    UMC - Water
    Pokemon Yellow - Final Update

Time to finally bring things to a close.

-Swam back to Viridian City and immediately challenged the Gym. The Trainers were mostly one-shotted, as were Giovanni's Pokemon.

Giovanni Gym Battle

-Healed, and immediately headed east where I ran into Blue. Again, easily defeated. I didn't even need to heal before presenting all my Gym Badges (lve that part) and heading into Victory Road.
    -I didn't use any repels so I could train, which was a little annoying. I had to go back and heal a few times, mostly just because PP ran out. I like seeing all the trainers and assessing whether their team could of won all 8 Badges or not. A few of them had me pretty doubtful.
    -After reaching the exit and excessive grinding which I don't think I could have handled if I wasn't playing on an emulator, I was prepared.
    -Spent all my money on full heals, full restores, max potions, and revives just in case, though I ended up not needing them.

THE ELITE FOUR

*Click links for videos*

~Battle with Lorelei~

Lead with Starmie for a strong start. Much stronger than expected. Starmie easily soloed all of her Pokemon.

~Battle with Bruno~

Led with Vaporeon, and like before had no trouble taking out all of Bruno's Pokemon.

~Battle with Agatha~

Figuring I'd only be using one Pokemon again, I gave Blastoise the spotlight. A little tougher than the former two, but not much of a problem.

~Battle with Lance~

First Pokemon KO-ed, was a little disappointed that Omastar wasn't seen much but I didn't want to lead with Starmie like I should have for the Thunderbolt. Some trouble with Gyarados and Dragonite but overall not bad.

~Battle with the Champion~

My only "real" battle in the League. I tried my best to give each of my Pokemon a final shot. Omastar redeems himself with an early knockout, and then much like Sabrina I have to use Starmie to take out Alakazam. I didn't know Exeggutor's French name so I sent out Blastoise instead of a Pokemon with an Ice attack. Magneton was the only Pokemon who gave me genuine trouble, and while I could have killed with a second Hydro Pump from Vaporeon I decided to be safe.

And like that, it all ends. Proud of my team and glad I finally decided on Water.

And now, my team for the final time!

Spoiler:

If you want to see how the journey unfolded then click here.

Off to Johto!

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2020
    I'm gonna a sign up for a Ultimate Monotype Ground Challenge!! I'm going through Leaf Green, Silver, Emerald and then I'm hoping I'll have a fourth gen game somehow.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Im going to sign up for an Ultimate normal type run
    Leaf Green/SoulSilver/Emerald/Pearl/Black

It took about 6 tries but I finally beat brock with abou 3hp to spare :)

My Team
    Rattata lv 15 (Adament)
    Tackle
    Tail Whip
    Quick Attack
    Hyper Fang

Spearow lv 15 (Adament)
    Peck
    Growl
    Leer
    Fury Attack

Last edited:

Technician

Aerial Ace
    Years
    Update 4

• I am getting steadily upset with my Mother in this game, as she won't buy me a freakin' Moon Stone to evolve Nieds. She bought me a Silk Scarf but not a Moon Stone. Rolls eyes.
    • Started Surfing to Cianwood City. Dodged most of the swimmers in case I find a Pokemon in the Safari Zone I need to train up.
    • Healed, then headed north to battle Eusine. Cheapest battle ever, all Drowzee does is put you to sleep. So damn annoying. I lost. -_-
    • Whatever. Headed to the Gym. Chuck was a bit of trouble, but Selfdestruct came to the rescue (like usual) and beat Poliwrath. Got Fly!
    • Delivered Secret Potion to Jasmine in the lighthouse.
    • Flew back to the Safari Zone to see if there's anything worth catching! And there was: I caught a Rhyhorn (Steam). I'm considering dropping Nieds at this point because it doesn't look like I'll be able to find a Moon Stone, and that means he won't be part Ground type… Okay yes. Nieds has been dropped. I am now grinding Steam.

Spoiler:

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • I shall be starting my Ultimate Flying Challenge! I shall use FR, HG, E, Pt, and W. This is Update #1 for FR!

I am told how to use the game. Boring.
    I get a note, telling me more about the game. Uggg.
    An old man pops out of nowhere and welcomes me to the world.
    A demented blue mouse pops out of his "ball". Ahhhhh!
    He wants my name, I better lie and tell him I'm Justin Bieber!
    No, that's to easy to detect, how bout Link? Yes, link it is!
    Wait, I know this dudes Grandson? Since I was a baby?
    To go with the flow, let's call him Ganon! That senile prof will never know!
    Ok, I'm done with the humor now. I wake up. In front of a NES. I'm retro.
    But oh look! A computer! I boot it up! Items? A potion! Sweet!
    I walk down the stairs, thinking about why I have a posted in my room telling me that if I need help I should press R. Am I that dumb?
    The tv is playing that lame movie about boys and railroad tracks....
    My mom is looking at nothing. Let's see if she's alright.
    Nope. She isn't. She says she's kicking me out of the house cuz that lame movie told her so. Mom takes movies too seriously.
    I walk to mr. Senile's lab. ganons waiting, and nerds are walking in circles.
    Screw this, Im leaving town! Crap, oaks on to me!
    Now he's taking me to his lab! Torture? Rape? Awwww, a present!
    Which pokemon to chose.... Well charmander, since it becomes flying.
    I name him... Sheik! Ganon gets a water turtle. Lame!
    He thinks his poke looks tougher. He is stupider than I!
    Time to finally leave this god-forsaken town! Or not...
    Link VS. Ganon
    Sheik is sent out! He spams scratch! Squirtle whips it's tail back and forth!
    I win! Sheik is lvl. 6! Wait, lemme check this dudes nature...
    Careful. He's careful. My special attack sucks. My speeds the best. Hm... It's alright. Time to go out into the world! Let's show our mom who's boss!
    I see a pidge! Me wants! No balls thou.... I fight through route 1.
    Once I reach viridian, sheiks lvl. 7, knows ember, and I have 2 potions.
    I heal up, and try to buy some poke balls but...
    I become a delivery boy for old oak! Back to pallet! :(
    I use the ledges, and I'm there lickity split! Do I dare visit oak?
    I do. And I get rewarded. Pokeballs and pokedex! Sweet! Thnx oak!
    That jerk ganon tells me not to hit on his sister, so I go to his house to do so.
    Guess what? She likes me more! I gotz town map!
    Time to catch a pidge! I do, and name him Navi!
    Me and my team of two decide to go to the pokemon league!
    We may be weak, but we are ready to give our all!
    Nooooooooo, it's Ganon!
    Link VS. Ganon 2
    Lvl. 9 pidge vs. Lvl. 7 sheik with mid Heath. Fuuuuuu-
    I ember like crazy, but die. It's up to my lvl. 3 Navi.
    I potion, but to no avail. Ganon has won. It's 1 to 1 with my rival.
    I awake back in viridian. Time to grind and extract my revenge!

Team:

Sheik the Charmander, Level 7
    Navi the Pidgy, Level 3

Sacr3d Fire

Rock the house with fire
    Years
  • Update #5 on my fire-type UMC. I moved to Jotho. (Heart Gold)

-Choosed cyndaquil as my starter.
    -Went to Mr. Pokemon house and got the egg.
    -Defeated my Rival.
    -Made my way to Violet city and trained my Cynalquil at sprout tower, made him evolve into Quilava.
    -Got Hm Flash.
    -Defeated Flakner.
    -Defeated more trainers on my way to Azalea town.
    -Defeated Team rocket at the Slowpoke well.
    -Defeated Bugsy.
    -Defeated my rival before going into Ilex forest.
    My team: Quilava Lv 25.

Years
    • Seen Jun 4, 2020
    Update #1:
    Started the Leaf Green and rushed through the beginning. Picked Bulbasaur and sped through the game until Pewter City. I one shot all of Brock's pokemon took the Boulder Badge and TM. Then headed back to Route 22 and beat Gary(Rival) and then left for Route 3. Beat all the the trainers so far and then caught Nidoran-F and Geodude and trained them to level 12.
    Team so far is:

Nidoran-F Lv. 12
    -Growl
    -Scratch
    -Tail Whip
    -Double Kick

Geodude Lv. 12
    -Tackle
    -Mud Sport
    -Defense Curl
    -Rock Throw

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • UMC Flying Update #2

I grinded on route 1 and the league path grass for a bit till sheik and navi were 9.
    I took on my low-life rival, and beat him like chris brown beat rianna.
    I went straight to pewter and beat up Brock with my newly acquired metal claw.
    I took the trail to Mt. Moon, and while I trained, Sheik evolved!
    I bought the magi carp from the salesman, and named it Zora.
    I wandered Mt. Moon for a bit, caught a Zubat named Goron and saved.

Team:

Sheik the Charmeleon, Level 17
    Navi the Pidgy, Level 17
    Goron the Zubat, Level 7
    Zora the Magicarp, Level 6

I'm gonna get rid of Zora next chance I get... It's a waste of XP.
    My excpected final team is Charizard, Pidgeot, Crobat, Delibird, and Xatu.

Years
    • Seen Oct 1, 2016
    Zubat may seem bad at low levels, but once he gets Bite, or Wing Attack, or something usable he'll really start to pay off. Especially when he evolves.

Anyways, after the stolen submarine bit, I surfed over to Mossdeep. Psychic was dangerous to my team, so I avoided most of the trainers. Wadrus and Daclus II were a level short, so they Bit and Solarbeamed through Lunatone and Solrock. That gym would have been awful in Emerald...

Anyways, got Dive, got the Green Shard, and got a Leaf Stone. Finally, a Vileplume.

Bought TM Flamethrower. Taught to Etzik.

Undersea Cavern! Not really a problem. I finally evolved Mito III in here, and I was happy about that. Tetrid III soloed Archie.

Got to Sootopolis. Went into Cave of Origin, where Kyogre was waiting. When Giga Drain didn't do much of anything, I ran, because my only other chance was Wadrus' Solarbeam, but he got OHKO'd. No experience, no Kyogre.

Turned off, because I didn't feel like training my group of level 37s and 38s to level 42 or so for Wallace for the night.

Tetrid III the Tentacruel
    Surf
    Ice Beam
    Giga Drain
    Supersonic

Daclus II the Crobat
    Bite
    Wing Attack
    Fly
    Confuse Ray

Wadrus the Vileplume
    Sunny Day
    Solarbeam
    Moonlight
    Sludge Bomb

Etzik the Seviper
    Crunch
    Poison Tail
    Earthquake
    Flamethrower

Mito III the Muk
    Sludge
    Secret Power
    Minimize
    (Screech? Can't really remember)

Tomandgreen

The Original Copy-Cat
    Years
  • UMC Flying Update #3 Mount Moon Mission

I start my game, in the middle of Mt. Moon. I climb some mountain ladders(?), and find this pokemon gangsta. He is pretty weak. Must have been high to think he could beat me! I keep exploring, and it turns out the whole mafia is in here! Ganster Paradise! Gangsters are never up to any good, so I whip em, whip em good! I beat so many trainers, Navi becomes a pidgeotto! Oh yeah! But god I wish I had repels! I get in a heated fight with Hiker Marcos, and Navi managed to out play his tank geodudes using tackle! Then came onix... Navi beat him with 5 HP to spare... I must be a good aviary trainer if I can solo a rock dude with a normal-flying pokemon. A TR grunt tells me kids messing around with adults is bad news, and I think MJ proved him right, but you know what? I like MJs music, so Ill kick his ass! Turns out all he had was a rat and a mole. Ironic, TR are rats and moles themselves! I find out they are after pokemon fossils, and take one for myself ofc. Too bad I dot have the old amber.... Patience Link, patience. I find myself on Route 4. Two karate kids are above me. Let's talk to em, maybe they know where the next gym is. Nope, creeps who teach karate. I make Sheik learn their ninja skills, and depart. I'm in cerulean! Swweeeeet! Misty the beach babe is next on my hit list, but first I gotta train goron and give zora to the day-care dude. Turns out a stupid slobro is blocking the daycare, and really, I hate zora, so Im releasing him. Goron is 12 levels behind Navi and Sheik, so I'm gonna grind him up. On a different note, the price of bikes today is absolutely insane! I run into Ganon and....
    Ganon Vs. Link 3
    He has a pidgeotto that's weaker than mine, so I do a switch out technique with Goron and send out Navi. Navi powns Ganons birdie, and he then sends out a ratty ratata! Switchout technique again with goron and sheik. I OHKO rattata with Mega Punch, and do switch out again. So now it's Navi Vs. Squirtle, not even a wartortel yet! Ganons losing his touch! After squirtle is done, I solo his abra-fail with Goron! Beaten! I win! He tells me to thank bill for his device I'm not using, and I don't. I just train on Nugget Bridge.

Team:

Sheik the Charmeleon, Lvl. 20, Ember, Metal Claw, Mega Punch & Kick
    Navi the Pidgeotto, Lvl. 20, Tackle, Sand-Attack, Gust, Quick Attack
    Goron the Zubat, Lvl. 10, Leech Life, Astonish, Theif, BLANK

Remember, once I get to Sevii Islands, I'm adding Xatu and Delibird to my team. Oh, and skarmory also, cuz he's sick! And Westie, were you talking to me? Its true, Zubats being a pain in the neck right now. Lol, bat, neck, vampire? Forget it. Next update prolly later today.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back