• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Survey: What ROM do you hack?

Years
Hello everyone!
I want to make a survey, what ROMs you guys are hacking. It would be nice, if you could tell the reasons, why you hacking that ROM.

Best wishes for all of you!

Crizzle

Legend
Years
  • Age 29
  • USA
  • Seen Jan 7, 2024
Fire Red. It's the best rom to hack, as far as gen 3 goes. I've dabbled with Emerald but Fire Red is better. Way more free space.

Years
Fire Red..
Because lots of research has been done on it.
Lots of tools, lots of patches, lots of features, lots of ASM routines & the best (as Crizzle said) lots of Free space. You can create an awesome hack without expanding it to 32mb.

Years
Fire Red..
Because lots of research has been done on it.
Lots of tools, lots of patches, lots of features, lots of ASM routines & the best (as Crizzle said) lots of Free space. You can create an awesome hack without expanding it to 32mb.

It seems, that Emerald is getting more attention now. There are two major patches: the 255 patch and the new attack rombase for Emerald.
Also Emerald has some cool features like the berrie system and the real time clock.

I guess it is possible, to do this on Fire Red, too, but it´s difficult.

Zervais

Island Kahuna
Years
Fire Red is the one I've chose because of the support it has regarding tools, scripts, and ASM routines. Emerald was going to be my first choice because I liked the animated Pokémon sprites, and the battle frontier, but I have to admit I wasn't keen on the graphic side of things. The overworlds looked so poor compared to FR's.

I am actually using Artificial Red as my base due to the 721 Pokémon (excluding megas and other forms) implemented. It's taken away a lot of work from myself and has even made 70% of sprites animated too!

Years
Emerald obviously.
- more features: Pokenav, animated sprites, multi battles, contests, battle frontier, Dive, Berries, etc.
- more researched
- battle engine code topping anything that's ever been done to battle romhacking
- better pokedex

Space isn't really an issue, you've got 0x1C309C bytes at your disposal and you can easily expand rom.
Also, one of the reasons more space is taken is because there are two front sprites table. One with two frames used everywhere and the other one-frame one. Good thing they share palettes and are both compressed.
The one-frame table is used in only one case. Guess when the game uses it. {XD}

Years
It seems, that Emerald is getting more attention now. There are two major patches: the 255 patch and the new attack rombase for Emerald.
Also Emerald has some cool features like the berrie system and the real time clock.

I guess it is possible, to do this on Fire Red, too, but it´s difficult.

yeah! I have been hearing that too, especially after the Dynamic Attack rombase was released. Also there's Theta Emerald 721 by LCCoolJ95, it's not bug free, but he has done a lot of things for us (only if it was bug-free, i would have used it, obviously because of the features like Animated Sprites & Berry system).

Years
Emerald obviously.
- more features: Pokenav, animated sprites, multi battles, contests, battle frontier, Dive, Berries, etc.
- more researched
- battle engine code topping anything that's ever been done to battle romhacking
- better pokedex

Space isn't really an issue, you've got 0x1C309C bytes at your disposal and you can easily expand rom.
Also, one of the reasons more space is taken is because there are two front sprites table. One with two frames used everywhere and the other one-frame one. Good thing they share palettes and are both compressed.
The one-frame table is used in only one case. Guess when the game uses it. {XD}

I would go with Emerald, but the free scace and the Pokedex limit are my problems.
Also I don´t know the offsets and length of the routines for the battle frontier, pokenav (every feature from the pokenav, except the map) and contests, to possibly delete them (I don´t need them). Furthermore, how can the map be expanded like in Fire Red (different maps for Kanto and the Sevii Islands)?
The last things are the animated sprites and cries, that I would also delete, but how?

Things like Dive, berries, multi battles and the battle engine are fantastic!

Bonnox

Time (wasting) Lord
Years
i'm currently using ruby, because is really lightweight therefore I can hook many things that happen "in the background" without noticing any slowdown.

Maybe I will switch to emerald if I can find a good complete IDB which explains how data is formatted (few hex tools work for emerald).

fire red is out of question because has too many unwanted hardcoded features.

Aryan 10

Battle Legend
Years
Generation 1

1. Red
2. Yellow
3. Blue

Generation 2

1. Crystal
2. Gold
3. Silver

Generation 3

1. FireRed
2. Emerald
3. Ruby
4. LeafGreen
5. Sapphire

Generation 4

1. HeartGold
2. Platinum
3. SoulSilver
4. Diamond
5. Pearl

Generation 5

1. Black2
2. Black
3. White2
4. White

Generation 6

1. OmegaRuby
2. X
3. AlphaSapphire
4. Y

Generation 7

1. Sun
2. Moon

BluRose

blu rass
Years
currently fire red
but really you get to a certain point where it literally doesn't matter and you can implement any one thing into any one of the original bases. dizzy only likes emerald because fbi abandoned his battle engine revamp on firered smh and because emerald has trivial default features
besides, the literal second the pokeruby disassembly is complete i'm ditching all else

Years
  • Age 30
  • Seen Jun 19, 2022
Yellow. Even though just about nobody else does that. I'm just obsessed with having a following buddy, I guess, and the disassembly is awesome. It's sooo painless compared to endlessly searching for offsets, fiddling with indexing your colors and using tools to compress and insert, repointing all the time, and rooting through uncommented code like in Gen3, and it's Followme is better than any generations' if you're looking for just a couple of pokemon to follow you because you can personalize those emotion sprites so much.

I did hack Firered a few times, and got a working across maps all the way to Johto follow-me going, but the ledge bug was severely annoying (even though it'd just respawn eventually). I have no idea if that's been fixed yet, but, maybe I'll finish my Fire Yellow project one-day anyway, or even post the incomplete version, even if it's kinda sucky, simply because I'm tired of people incorrectly saying you can't have Pikachu follow you around on multiple maps and that way they can see and just steal the way I did it (although I did say my method years back; I've improved my surf-disappears-pikachu method since then though - just directly editing the surf script to disappear sprite FE works well). It's just a pain to implement, is all. But I now think I might enjoy new pokemon patches that's come out since way when, so, that would require starting over. :/ And it would be nice to have bugfixes, or use the completed follow when it comes out (although at that point other people would surely make a yellow remake so I'd have no need to). But redoing a whole project isn't fun, so, yeah, probably not.

Maybe I will hack Firered again, especially if it gets a disassembly or I'm do something that will involve lots of space or mapping. Biggest downside to Yellow right now imo is the space, and mapping is a pain. I won't hack any of the other of gen 3 or Gen 1 because they don't have Followme, and I'm kinda obsessed, lol. I do admit to having a LOT of nostalgia for gen 2, but I can add gen 2 pokemon to Yellow sooo the only big loss is the phone, two regions, and day/night.

I miiight make a mild exception for Emerald sometime, just because I faintly recall you can team-up in that, and I love the idea of basing a hack around having a battle-buddy or being part of a team where you are given a partner; a Jessie to your James, or James to your Jessie (although Team Rocket is a little overrated :P). I've never seen a hack like that. Although it might get annoying not being able to control half your team, hah. So I guess I should say I have more of a buddy obsession than follow-me obsession. I'm a complete sucker for that.

Blah

Free supporter
Years
Fire Red, the community hack will really push it forward as well.

The community hack repository has a plethora of new features, unseen documentation in the C language (not a trashy ASM idb) and many other cool scripts. Currently it's the best build for hacking generation III games we've got, and it's publicly available! Some of the new big features include:

- Pokenav and dexnav integration
- Updated and upgraded Pokedex
- Multi and tag battles (more customization than the ones in EM)
- Smart Battle AI
- Completely automated and updated battle interface, with easy insertion (literally just put your image file in a folder and the scripts generate and insert everything)
- Berry system (updated to new generation mechanics)
- Mugshots/object and other displays using character encoding
- Complete follow me
- Expanded OE system
- Many other smaller libraries

Touched and I will look to do the abilities, moves and other things for new Pokemon in the CRH as well. We've got more things planned, that if you're a FR hacker you should definitely look out for including tackling the HMs in the overworld, movement expansions, world map generation, and soon overworld scripting support. I expect to be done with the features part of the hack sometime this month :)

I think the only other ROM for generation III is emerald, and the swaying features would be the double battle capability, which we've made a superior version of in FR for the community hack. We also have a mega evolution system that's updated. As I recall EM's mega evolution system is based off the code touched wrote for FR two years ago. Anyways, some people argue that EM also contains contests, battle frontier and secret bases, to which I say generation III contests are a joke of a feature and secret bases would only be good in online (which is not common place in ROM hacks, as they often break compatibility with eachnother). I've personally ported most of the battle frontier modes which I think were fun, save some silly ones as well.

Though my biggest reason for hacking FireRed is that it looks a lot cleaner graphically. EM uses the R/S graphics, and to me, that's the biggest turn off. As someone who doesn't want to spend a lot of time picking and replacing tiles, great default graphics which I can spin the graphics matters to me. When you reach a certain level in ROM hacking, the base ROM really becomes quite trivial. Your choices for picking on over the other boils down to laziness and what your hack will feature. If you're hack features contests, pokeblocks and ummm I guess you like the older styled default graphics then EM is what you'd want to go for. If the boys working on the battle engine upgrade get that done for EM, then it'd be good for that base as well. I'm just waiting for them to finish so I can RIP their animations and graphics :D:D:D:D

Years
I'm currently working on FireRed right now, but will get to Emerald after the FireRed project is done (it'll take a while).

I prefer FireRed tiles over Ruby/Sapphire or Emerald tiles, but I like mixing them both to my hacks.

Lucario

Hardly active since 2017!
Years
I hack crystal due to full disassembilies, but I haven't actually made anything worth speaking of.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen Jan 17, 2023
I've been messing with Emerald a bit, mostly due to wanting to try making a hack (even if I'm too lazy to learn anything and so will probably never make anything better than a 386 with increased difficulty) and my vast preference for it as a game over FR. It seriously annoys me sometimes how FR seems to have all the cool toys, even if it needs a bigger improvement than Emerald.

Years
I've been messing with Emerald a bit, mostly due to wanting to try making a hack (even if I'm too lazy to learn anything and so will probably never make anything better than a 386 with increased difficulty) and my vast preference for it as a game over FR. It seriously annoys me sometimes how FR seems to have all the cool toys, even if it needs a bigger improvement than Emerald.

Does it really have "all the cool toys"? I'd say Emerald outclasses Fire Red in terms of features(both in-game and community-made).

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Does it really have "all the cool toys"? I'd say Emerald outclasses Fire Red in terms of features(both in-game and community-made).

Well no harsh feelings...
but what I think is for now,
people prefer FR than EM,
But I dont think it will be long when rom hacks with rombase EM will be overpopulated with the help of you guys....
I really respect the work of yours with the emerald rom...
You are truly doing the great job... RESPECT

But for now,
there are lots of features..... to be included in fire red which are yet to be ported in Emerald :)

Froosty

The_Learner
Years
Really? The only one that springs to mind is the EV/IV screen.

well i think there are more like.... hidden abilities...(Well I dont think if this feature is available in emerlad!!!
and also the community rom hack will give rise to so many amazing features in FR Rom (I think it will probably happen) :D

Back