• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music talk music

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
Years
  • so contrary to what i previously thought, Oneohtrix (is that how it's spelt) Point Never has actually made some stuff with some really beautiful moments. No Good and Chrome Country, particularly, funnily enough both the last songs on their respective albums.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • so contrary to what i previously thought, Oneohtrix (is that how it's spelt) Point Never has actually made some stuff with some really beautiful moments. No Good and Chrome Country, particularly, funnily enough both the last songs on their respective albums.
    honestly, he's becoming one of my favorite artists, perhaps ever -- the sheer amount of things he's done is kinda wild. and he invented vaporwave, so, I mean, if that means anything to anyone. check out his early more ambient stuff too -- namely 'Betrayed in the Octagon' which is one of my favorite works of his. also he's named after a radio station in Boston, kind of (106.7, which said like one-oh-six point seven is similar, y'know, of course) which is neat.

additionally I can't stop listening to Fleetwood Mac

Nihilego

Years
  • Wait I'm not sure what you're meaning by that link, haha. Is that OPN under another name or something? Ambient OPN sounds... different when you look at how much prog electronic he's making these days but could be cool, will check. I had no idea you were so into him though.

Fleetwood Mac are The Shit. I was walking to work this morning through my dusty-ass mountain town (lol.) and Tusk came on shuffle and it was perfect.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • Wait I'm not sure what you're meaning by that link, haha. Is that OPN under another name or something? Ambient OPN sounds... different when you look at how much prog electronic he's making these days but could be cool, will check. I had no idea you were so into him though.

Fleetwood Mac are The Shit. I was walking to work this morning through my dusty-ass mountain town (lol.) and Tusk came on shuffle and it was perfect.
    Chuck Person = OPN. it's not his real name but a stage name. his real name is Daniel Lopatin. Yes. Yes. and maybe calling him one of my favorite artists is misleading because he's not produced anything that I could comfortably call an All Time Favorite and he's got his fair share of things that I'm not huge on, but I still really like a lot of his work and find him a super interesting guy in general.

and yeah I've listened to the entirety of Tusk maybe 6 times the past two or three weeks, and it seems like a new favorite song makes itself known to me every time. it's full to the brim of Total Bangers.

Nihilego

Years
  • oooo ya I figured after I actually went and read the title of the video and saw his name there, haha. I had no idea he'd worked on vapourwave before although tbh the extent of my vapourwave knowledge just about stops at Actress' new stuff, though Rap kinda bangs. i just kinda assumed it was one of those "kids these days" genres, kinda like brostep, haha. back to opn though he's a really interesting guy for sure. There's a lot of.... we'll say, odd choices in his music which he's obviously stuck in there for reason and I'd love to get inside of his head and figure out what they're doing there, particulartly on Garden of Delete.

I listened to that more ambient one you linked and it kinda reminded me of video game music though, haha.

oh when i said "tusk" i meant the song. though I agree that it's a great album too. Initially I didn't really think it had anything on Rumours but it's got a lot of good stuff. just diluted imo by the sheer amount of it, not all of it good. And I still maintain that Sara isn't all it's made out to be.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • I've listened to no Actress other than Ghettoville once when it came out and I really wasn't fond of it but this song's kind of okay. not terrible. not amazing. It's Vaporwave. and I can kinda see the relation to that opn track and video game music but that's a good relation in this instance, I guess. it's like, cyberpunk music. kind of. which I'm into.

and I initially thought the same of Tusk but it's grown on me massively. it's all so fuckin' sad. and I still love 'Sara' a lot; it hasn't stopped being top 3 on the album for me, I don't think.

Nihilego

Years
  • I've listened to no Actress other than Ghettoville once when it came out and I really wasn't fond of it but this song's kind of okay. not terrible. not amazing. It's Vaporwave. and I can kinda see the relation to that opn track and video game music but that's a good relation in this instance, I guess. it's like, cyberpunk music. kind of. which I'm into.

I think I have ghettoville and it was really okay. iirc I drew some (unpopular) parallels between that and Cosmogramma in that they were both Just A Bit Wanky. funny enough though how I started this thread talking about how great OPN is yet he's no better on that front, haha.

what actually is "cyberpunk" though? Like is it a genre or? All I know of it is this that it's the name of this shop in manchester where scene kids go to buy bright neon things, haha.

and I initially thought the same of Tusk but it's grown on me massively. it's all so fuckin' sad. and I still love 'Sara' a lot; it hasn't stopped being top 3 on the album for me, I don't think.

what about Storms?

itt maccrash and razor leaf have sex in public

feel free to join in!

Years
  • What is this conversation even about?

what actually is "cyberpunk" though? Like is it a genre or? All I know of it is this that it's the name of this shop in manchester where scene kids go to buy bright neon things, haha.
    I only know it as a literature/film/TV genre, but it's all about dirty scifi where amazing technology lets people do all kinds of weird things and is everywhere, but people are all alienated and unhappy anyway. All urban and dystopian and dark. Think Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner.

Nihilego

Years
  • I only know it as a literature/film/TV genre, but it's all about dirty scifi where amazing technology lets people do all kinds of weird things and is everywhere, but people are all alienated and unhappy anyway. All urban and dystopian and dark. Think Ghost in the Shell or Blade Runner.

Huh. Cool. not gonna lie that sounds like the edgiest genre of music imaginable, if it actually is a type of music, haha. Naturally I am Extremely Interested in it. Dunno if you listen to much electronic but what would you describe as it (even if it maybe isn't a real genre)?

Years
  • Huh. Cool. not gonna lie that sounds like the edgiest genre of music imaginable, if it actually is a type of music, haha. Naturally I am Extremely Interested in it. Dunno if you listen to much electronic but what would you describe as it (even if it maybe isn't a real genre)?
    What I'd describe it if it were a music genre? Probably something moody and 80s synthesizer'd like the music in Blade Runner.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
  • how do we feel about views
    I've only heard 'Pop Style' which is abhorrent, imo. really flat, uninspired stuff (and I've liked Drake in the past -- granted, never been a huge fan, but Nothing Was the Same was pretty good overall) which does not make me feel particularly Enthused about the prospect of 80 minutes of that shit. have you heard it?

Nihilego

Years
  • Drake is someone I've never... got, at all. People seem to really genuinely like him but I've never been able to differentiate him from... anyone else that sounds, tbh, exactly like him. Musically or thematically. Take Care is a pretty incredible song though but mainly because of the remixes it inspired (Jamie xx's, for example).

Years
  • how do we feel about views

Thought you meant youtube views.

Drake isn't an artist I follow since he seems pretty generic from the couple of songs I've heard.

But as far as video views go, I think they're a nice psychological boost to artists who aren't well known outside of niche areas. Getting a million views is a nice milestone for a small time artist.

Her

Years
    • Seen yesterday
    I've only heard 'Pop Style' which is abhorrent, imo. really flat, uninspired stuff (and I've liked Drake in the past -- granted, never been a huge fan, but Nothing Was the Same was pretty good overall) which does not make me feel particularly Enthused about the prospect of 80 minutes of that shit. have you heard it?

i cannot s t a n d rihanna but i think her feature on too good was probably one of the best songs on the album if not the best
    it felt like a realistic conversation and not drake whining in the infamous way that he does

i'm not exactly one to care about lyrics as opposed to the general sound of an album, and i'm the first to say that my taste in music is far from deep and i just listen to whatever sounds good on the ears, so keep that in mind when i say i enjoyed the album
    it's still Very Drake in the sense that if you didn't care about him before you're unlikely to change your opinion, but imo it's more mature and much less caught up in pettiness and subtle misogyny that characterises a lot of drake's whines
    it's a much more cohesive album that what i've listened to from him and more importantly, something that i'd enjoy listening to in the future and not be tired of it once the hype dies

Back