• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Algorithms to hire you based on your voice

Her

Years
    • Seen May 5, 2024
    link
    If you're trying out for a job in sales, the person who judges your pitch may not be a person — it could be a computer.

Job recruitment is the newest frontier in automated labor, where algorithms are choosing who's the right fit to sell fast food or handle angry cable customers, by sizing up the human candidates' voices.

Let's take a voice you know: Al Pacino. Think back to how he sounds in The Godfather, Devil's Advocate, Scarface or this recent interview on Charlie Rose.

The actor speaks with different accents, different emotions, different ages — and his range is stunning. But in every version, Pacino's voice has a biological, inescapable fact.

"His tone of voice generates engagement, emotional engagement with audiences," says Luis Salazar, CEO of Jobaline. "It doesn't matter if you're screaming or not. That voice is engaging for the average American."

Years and years of scientific studies and focus groups have dissected the human voice and categorized the key emotions of the person speaking.

Jobaline has taken that research and fed it into algorithms that interpret how a voice makes others feel and then cross-checks its judgment with real human listeners. It's a departure from other data science. With facial recognition, for example, algorithms sift through your smile, your brow, to decide your mood.

"We're not analyzing how the speaker feels," Salazar says. "That's irrelevant."

Regardless of whether you're happy, sad or cracking jokes, your voice has a hidden, complicated architecture with an intrinsic signature — much like a fingerprint. And through trial and error, the algorithms can get better at predicting how things like energy and fundamental frequency impact others — be they people watching a movie, or cancer patients calling a help line.

There's a lot more to the article than what I've quoted here, but that's the gist of it. I highly recommend you reading it - if this becomes mainstream, the implications could be massive.
    What about those with disabilities that impair or affect their speech? Who decides what is considered 'right for the job' in the eyes of the algorithm? Is this sacrificing fairness in place of automated labour?

Melody

Banned
    Years
  • I feel like this is unethical and all companies should cease doing this at once. I have a personal dislike for computers making any hiring decisions whatsoever. That being said; I do not feel that USING a computer to manage categories or sift through candidates is bad. I just feel like a computer should not be assigning those categories.

Where a computer is involved; there should be a human making the hiring decision behind it controlling it. Computers can take information from applicants; it can sort that information and present it to the person for categorization and/or decision. That's fine and normal ethical use.

Computers don't discriminate; but using a computer to look for voice quality is downright discriminatory. Sorry; you can't change your voice very much...it's pretty much an inherent quality and therefore isn't something companies should ever be basing their hiring decisions on.

You simply mustn't decide to hire or not hire someone based on their inherent qualities, it's unethical and often illegal. This includes anything that we are born with or genetically predisposed to with no reasonably easy way to access or change that attribute. You can base your hiring decision based on whether or not they can do the job adequately.

Years
  • I think it's fair. Your presentability is an important part of sales. I've been there, and I can tell you that the way you act and sound affect how you interact with customers. I admit that my own voice is not the most, uh, presentable, but judging somebody on something they can't change is fair when it affects the ability to do the job itself. Restaurants hire young, attractive women when it suits their atmosphere. I don't think there's anything wrong there, either.

Suwandi

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Mar 25, 2015
    let people hire whoever the F they want for their own company.

Back