• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen The Unova Pokedex

Years
  • Pok%C3%A9dex_BW.png

In the original Black & White, you may have noticed there was no previous-generation Pokemon in the Pokedex and you are forced into using new Pokemon until the postgame. It's a really fun and exciting concept that gives the feel like you are starting playing the 1st Generation all over again, where you have to learn more about the native Pokemon and over time helps you appreciate them more.

What did you think of this concept? Would you love to see a Pokedex system like this again?

Reactions: Sun

Gandhi Savage

[FONT=Maven Pro][COLOR=#00AAFF]OJAMA DELTA HURRICA
    Years
  • When it first came out it was really cool, but I remained spoiler free and as a result didn't know some of the types or evolutions so didn't end up building that big of a team e.g Bisharp was Steel/Bug, Karrablast was a Water/Bug. It was such a fun experience though, and even if it did happen again I probably wouldn't have the same experience as I find it next to impossible to avoid spoilers now! I think a lot of the Pokémon from the 5th Generation are really underrated, I for one love Trubbish haha.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
  • A lot of people didnt really like it but i loved it in each game i try to only use the pokemon from that region and that gave me all the more reason plus i stayed unspoiled and tried to guess pokemons types to get that supereffective boost which made it initially more challenging so i really enjoyed the concept a lot i actually hope they do it again plus the large amount of new pokemon was definately fun new pokes are always a nice detail to the games :)

Sirfetch’d

I loved it! It made me feel like I was playing Pokemon for the very first time again :) Not sure if I would like to see this return but it was an amazing experience for Black and White :D

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
    Years
  • I don't quite mind about the concept in overall, it just showed that Pokémon wants to make the experience anew by putting only the Unova Pokémon in the Dex, which refreshes the experience in overall. However, that means that I can't catch the other regional mons until post-game, which is kinda sad.

Sun

When the sun goes down...
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2017
    I actually loved the concept so much! It feels like I'm in a new region and it's great to see the new/native Pokémon trying to take the spotlight, rather than having the old Pokémon taking it.

Back in the GSC days I personally don't like it when a lot of old Pokémon infested the Johto, while the supposedly Johto native like Sneasel, Murkrow, Houndour are almost no where to be seen until late to post-game contents.

Years
  • I thought it was fun. I always love new pokemon so having a whole new region full of them was pretty awesome (especially since a lot of 4th gen's evolutions of older mons weren't available in the game I had). Plus I really like almost all of the Unova mons so that's a huge plus :D

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
  • I get what they were going for, but I feel like it contributed to the Pokemon of this generation being disliked. Also, it makes for less replay value when it's only Unova Pokemon that you can get right off the bat, similar to how reusing the same Pokemon when replaying RBY or FRLG since only Kanto Pokemon (though that's for obvious reasons in RBY's case) can be caught. Since it's still a relatively new generation though, it's not really as bad as trying to replay Kanto games and being sick of those Pokemon.

I personally didn't mind this initially, but when replaying the game, it was annoying to have to trade in non-Unova Pokemon when I wanted them rather than being able to catch them. At least you can do that, but still.

Years
  • I'm with Golurk on this one, it was a pretty fun concept because it gives off the whole look of the region as fresh, and I loved the new Pokemon myself so it didn't bother me much. Plus like Sun said, it allowed the new Pokemon to get some spotlight by not having older ones overshadowing them.

Back