• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Need help with a team!

Skye_Blue

Skye
Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2015
    I love my team the way it is, but unfortunately it's useless against things like Mega Venusaur and Cresselia.
    Can someone recommend something that can help out with that majorly?

And this is for the actual games, so I don't care about any of those dumb Smogon rules or whatever.

My team so far is:

Archeops with Focus Sash
    Attack & Speed EVs & Jolly Nature
    Moves:
    Quick Guard (for those Mega Kanga's)
    Knock Off
    Rock Slide
    Aerial Ace

Spinda with Chople Berry or Mental Herb
    (NOT getting ride of Spinda. It makes things like Mawile useless and gets rid of Archeops' Defeatist)
    HP & mixed defences EVs, Jolly Nature
    Ability is Contrary
    Moves:
    Fake Out
    Encore
    Skill Swap
    Fake Tears

Ambipom with Normal Gem
    Attack & Speed EVs,Adamant Nature
    Ability is Technician
    Moves:
    Double Hit
    Revenge
    Acrobatics
    U-Turn

Mew with Kasib/Colbur Berry (mainly used only in doubles, where this set makes it pretty awesome)
    EVs: Maximum Special Attack, enough Speed to make its speed at level 50 186, the rest in Attack.
    Modest nature
    Moves:
    Psychic
    Frost Breath
    Swords Dance
    Flame Charge

Umbreon with Leftovers
    Attack and Speed EVs (my main way to beat Cresselia, killing it in two hits)
    Synchronise ability
    Moves:
    Pursuit
    Screech
    Payback
    Moonlight

Golem with Weakness Policy (NOT getting rid of this one)
    Attack & Speed EVs
    Sturdy ability
    Moves:
    Rock Blast
    Iron Head
    Earthquake
    Automise

If anyone has any ideas on how to make this team better-fit for killing those awfully-defencive Pokemon (mainly Cresselia and Mega-Venusaur, and of course more that I can't think of at the moment) I'd really appreciate it.

But keep in mind that I started over so I have only my Bank Pokemon and a few items a friend traded me before also starting over. So no mega-stones or Battle Resort items other than the above mentioned for a while.

Years
    • She/Her, It/Its
    • Seen today
    Put something with Taunt/Substitute+Setup move on your team and your problems with stallers should be (almost) resolved. Also, it might be a good idea, to explain, how your team works; you know, "as a team"

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Out of curiosity, is this team for singles or doubles?

Assuming singles:

Specially defensive Gliscor or bulky Talonflame can handle Mega Venusaur and Cresselia, since it can either use Taunt to stop them from setting up, or set up Swords Dance in their faces and eventually overwhelm them. Either should go over Archeops, as while it has good stats, its ability cripples it when it's at half health or less:

Gliscor:
    -Swords Dance
    -Earthquake
    -Knock Off/Facade
    -Roost
    Nature: Careful
    EVs: 244 HP/8 Def/200 SDef/56 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

or
    -Earthquake/Knock Off
    -Taunt
    -Toxic
    -Roost
    EVs: 244 HP/8 Def/200 SDef/56 Spe
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Ability: Poison Heal

Talonflame:
    -Swords Dance
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Will-o-Wisp/Taunt
    -Roost
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 248 HP/252 Atk/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/none
    Ability: Gale Wings

or
    -Brave Bird/Acrobatics
    -Bulk Up/Taunt
    -Will-o-Wisp/Taunt
    -Roost
    EVs: 248 HP/252 SDef/8 Spe
    Item: Leftovers/none
    Ability: Gale Wings

Just saying, Umbreon's offensive presence is utterly pathetic, meaning it must rely on Foul Play as its main attack (this attack uses the target's Attack instead of the user's to calculate damage). Given Cresselia's massive defenses, this is what'll happen:

252 Atk Umbreon Pursuit vs. -2 252 HP / 252+ Def Cresselia: 108-128 (24.3 - 28.8%) -- possible 5HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yes, it's possible that Cresselia will be OHKOed at -6 Defense if it switches, but smart opponents can switch out Cresselia before that happens.

Spinda's terrible stats hinder it in any format possible. Just putting that out there.

Revenge has negative priority, and this doesn't work well with Ambipom's frailty.

Mew has 100 base stats all-round, so the absolute maximum Speed it can get is 167 with a +Speed nature (unless you factor in the Flame Charge boost). Even then, Mew is more effective at support roles, IMO, since there are other Psychic Pokemon that can do offensive roles better.

I know you may not care about Smogon rules, but this is still worth a read, IMO: https://www.smogon.com/smog/issue37/bad-to-the-core

skyburial

Orca Hype
    Years
  • Mew with Kasib/Colbur Berry (mainly used only in doubles, where this set makes it pretty awesome)
    EVs: Maximum Special Attack, enough Speed to make its speed at level 50 186, the rest in Attack.
    Modest nature
    Moves:
    Psychic
    Frost Breath
    Swords Dance
    Flame Charge

I don't really understand this Mew set, and I'm a Doubles player. First and foremost, the most speed Mew can get at level 50 is 167, and that's with a +Speed nature. If you gave it Nasty Plot instead of Swords Dance and just let it be a Modest Mew instead of jerry-rigging it into a "Mixed" set I think you'd be doing yourself a world of favors.

+2 252+ SpA Mew Psychic vs. 252 HP / 52 SpD Mega Venusaur: 230-272 (122.9 - 145.4%) -- guaranteed OHKO

You can run any number of coverage moves to make it work, I'd recommend Shadow Ball and Ice Beam.

Back