• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Moveset Help & Other Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
Years
  • I am very, very new to this forum and am looking for a place to battle and to chat. How do battles work? Do I need cards or can I just choose a random pokemon from my collection and see if it works against other pokemon and battle that way? Please comment and thank you!
    You ask for a person's Friend Code here. Then, you go to the Player Search System, connect to the Internet, look for the person you registered and select the "Battle" option.
    Is there a way to do full team battles in a rating format?

No, I'm afraid.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen today
    I don't really see what Goodra needs Focus Blast for.
    Tyranitar. And yeah, I'm sure Thunderbolt + Sludge Bomb works fine. Depends on if you want to hit Sylveon and Florges or Tyranitar.

I am very, very new to this forum and am looking for a place to battle and to chat. How do battles work? Do I need cards or can I just choose a random pokemon from my collection and see if it works against other pokemon and battle that way? Please comment and thank you!
    Find people to battle using this thread, which is intended for the main series Pokemon games. You can also battle on our battle server here. TCG stuff goes over here.

Is there a way to do full team battles in a rating format?
    Not on the actual games. However, you can do rated battles of numerous formats on battle simulators such as Pokemon Showdown (we have a server right here).

ENDeverMORE

Totally Free
    Years
  • I was about to ask about Archeops, looking at his base spd and atk. Then I saw defeatist.......... XD

Tyranitar. And yeah, I'm sure Thunderbolt + Sludge Bomb works fine. Depends on if you want to hit Sylveon and Florges or Tyranitar.

And I have aura sphere blastoise, and focus blast on zoroark.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2014
    I could swear that evasion moves are banned in the competiitve battling scene. I just played a match where the other trainer abused the move minimize with subsititute; which caused me the match.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Yeah, you can use Thunderbolt and Sludge Bomb/Wave on the set. It's probably better that way. I use a set with Dragon Pulse, Flamethrower, Thunderbolt, and Sludge Bomb. I don't really see what Goodra needs Focus Blast for.

Though you may not have room for both if you opt for Dragon Tail.

Heatran, Tyranitar etc.

I could swear that evasion moves are banned in the competiitve battling scene. I just played a match where the other trainer abused the move minimize with subsititute; which caused me the match.

Yes they are banned as most people play with Smogons rules so yeah.

Simple solution to this; dont battle hax move abusing uber noobs then and agree on standard rules beforehand. :P

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen yesterday
    Best Defensive and Sp.Defensive Pokemon for a Drought team?

Chansey is the best sp.def pokemon for a drought team. Blissey would work well too and she can also use Flamethrower which will get a 1.5x boost in the sun.

Cresselia can pull its weight on drought teams too as it makes Moonlight heal it better.

Gliscor can work ok as the sun halves its water weakness.

Snorlax and Heatran are also very good sp.defensively and ive also used Claydol to some success in the sun as it cancels out its water weakness but lol its Claydol. :P

Years
    • Seen Jan 7, 2014
    The problem with the guy I layed who abused the evasion move was it was on the rating battle section. I had no idea what moves he was packing/ pokes he had until it was to late to do anything; Also a question I have is why can we only use 3 pokemon on the rating scene? it totally negates the strategy I had when I was making up my team and leaves my hyper offensive team as cannon fodder if I can't get the first move off.

Years
    • Seen Jul 23, 2016
    Mightyena, king of darkness

Mightyena. Look at those stats. Yuck. But regardless, I'm building a Dark-type team, and Mightyena has somehow sneaked into the last spot. To add insult to injury, I forgot about Moxie and thus started making a Quick Feet setup. But I've started so I'll finish; I'm not IV breeding all over again. Here's how it currently looks:

Ability: Quick Feet
    Item: Toxic Orb
    Moves: Sucker Punch, Facade, Play Rough, Protect

Care to critique my choices? In particular, I'm not sure whether I should replace Protect with Substitute. Both have their advantages, although Mightyena lacks the bulk to make proper use of Substitute. Protect would basically just be for the first move, to stall until Quick Feet activates.

Last edited:

Griffinbane

I hate Smeargle.
    Years
  • Those questions, you'll have to ask Game Freak about. We can't answer that because we don't work for Nintendo or Game Freak. All I can say is that those rules have been there since gen 3, in the battle tower, and that they are the official rules for rated wifi singles.

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • A viable moveset for a Sp.Def Tank Umbreon?

Ok so I'm about to take competitive battles more seriously now and I really want a Sp.Atk tank/annoyer so I chose Umbreon. Now I really need your help guys, what is a viable moveset in Pokemon X and Y for Umbreon?

My Umbreon's Nature, IVs and EVs

Nature: Calm
    Stat Increased - Sp.Defence
    Stat Decreased - Attack

IVs
    Hp - 31
    Attack - 11
    Defence -31
    Sp.Defence - 31
    Sp.Attack - 28
    Speed - 31

EVs
    Hp - 252
    Attack - 0
    Defence - 6
    Sp.Defence - 252
    Sp.Attack - 0
    Speed - 0

Moveset I'm thinking about using
    Toxic
    Confuse Ray/Curse
    Baton Pass/Substitute/U-turn
    Wish

250px-197Umbreon.png

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    I have a question about ev training

So I'm a complete "noob" when it comes to ev training as i only started to get in it in the past 2 days.

Ok so I'm training my perfect Gible and i started from level 1, I got all the power braces and trained him he now has full attack, speed and sp defense.

My question is can I start battling with him against any pokemon or it has to be the same pokemon i have been battle so far?

If anybody can help me I would appreciate :)

Last edited:

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Ok so I'm about to take competitive battles more seriously now and I really want a Sp.Atk tank/annoyer so I chose Umbreon. Now I really need your help guys, what is a viable moveset in Pokemon X and Y for Umbreon?

My Umbreon's Nature, IVs and EVs

Stat Increased - Sp.Defence
    Stat Decreased - Attack

IVs
    Hp - 31
    Attack - 11
    Defence -31
    Sp.Defence - 31
    Sp.Attack - 28
    Speed - 31

EVs
    Hp - 252
    Attack - 0
    Defence - 6
    Sp.Defence - 252
    Sp.Attack - 0
    Speed - 0

Moveset I'm thinking about using
    Toxic
    Confuse Ray/Curse
    Baton Pass/Substitute/U-turn
    Wish

250px-197Umbreon.png
    Here's the only specially defensive set Umbreon should be using. Umbreon also can't learn U-turn. It also need Protect to ensure that it receives the Wish, while it needs Foul Play to get around using its low Attack:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Foul Play
    -Toxic/Heal Bell/Yawn
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize
    I have a question about ev training

So I'm a complete "noob" when it comes to ev training as i only started to get in it in the past 2.

Ok so I'm training my perfect Gible and i started from level 1, I got all the power braces and trained him he now has full attack, speed and sp defense.

My question is can I start battling with him against any pokemon or it has to be the same pokemon i have been battle so far?

If anybody can help me I would appreciate :)
    A Pokemon can only be fully trained in 2 stats. Having max EVs in Attack, Speed and Special Defense is impossible. I think you were referring to 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe? I think you can start battling with it, but only if you give it good moves to match.

Years
    • Seen Feb 3, 2014
    A Pokemon can only be fully trained in 2 stats. Having max EVs in Attack, Speed and Special Defense is impossible. I think you were referring to 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe? I think you can start battling with it, but only if you give it good moves to match.

Yeah i meant that 252 Atk/4 SDef/252 Spe hahahah

Thank you very much

WishCookie

ヽ(*・ω・)ノNo berries for you!
    Years
  • Here's the only specially defensive set Umbreon should be using. Umbreon also can't learn U-turn. It also need Protect to ensure that it receives the Wish, while it needs Foul Play to get around using its low Attack:
    -Wish
    -Protect
    -Foul Play
    -Toxic/Heal Bell/Yawn
    EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 SDef
    Item: Leftovers
    Ability: Synchronize

Thank you so much! I really appreciate this.

Years
  • Just wondering everyone's thoughts on Mega Venusaur as a Stall

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
    Ability: Chlorophyll (Thick Fat)
    EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpDef
    Nature: Calm / Bold
    - Synthesis
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed
    - Toxic

There's also the possibility of replacing synthesis with sludge bomb or sleep powder?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Just wondering everyone's thoughts on Mega Venusaur as a Stall

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
    - Synthesis
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed
    - Toxic

There's also the possibility of replacing synthesis with sludge bomb or sleep powder?

Mega Venusaur is certainly capable of stall, and your set is fine as is. Keep Synthesis, as it gives Megasaur greater stalling ability. Giga Drain and Leech Seed may not always be enough (opposing Grass types and such), and Toxic is better than Sludge Bomb and Sleep Powder. Bad poison>regular poison, and Sleep Powder's accuracy leaves something to be desired, and there's sleep clause as well. Just make sure to have teammates than can deal with Steel, Grass, and Poison types.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Just wondering everyone's thoughts on Mega Venusaur as a Stall

Venusaur @ Venusaurite
    - Synthesis
    - Giga Drain
    - Leech Seed
    - Toxic

Mega Venusaur suffers horribly from 4-moveslot syndrome. It has a bunch of good support options, but can't fit them in all at once in conjunction with its STAB and coverage moves:
    -Giga Drain
    -Sludge Bomb
    -Earthquake/Hidden Power (Fire)/Leech Seed
    -Synthesis
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/88 Def/168 SDef or 252 HP/252 Def/4 SDef
    Item: Venusaurite

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back