• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Counter that Pokemon! (READ THE FREAKING FIRST POST)

Polar Spectrum

I'm still here; watching. Waiting.
Years
  • This is why maxing out HP before a defensive stat is important:
    252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 112-132 (27.7 - 32.6%) -- guaranteed 4HKO

252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 0 HP / 252+ Def Tangrowth: 112-132 (32.8 - 38.7%) -- 98.8% chance to 3HKO

Bisharp is NOT a counter to Arcanine in any way. It's weak to Close Combat and Flare Blitz, and it won't like switching in to any of those. Here's a definition of a counter:

Intimidate only works if Arcanine itself switches in to battle, unless it's a double-switch.

Creative sets are fine, but only as long as the moves listed are viable enough to deal with opposing threats. Your set isn't that viable because Metal Burst can be predicted and set up on. Knock Off > Night Slash for the item-removing utility.

Alrighty, first of all, my mistake - I was not taking the part of the OP that says they have to be able to switch in on the previous Pokemon into account. I wrongfully assumed it was a hypothetical 1 on 1 situation where both were thrown out at once, my bad. However, your comparison on the importance of HP vs Def investment sheerly for taking physical hits isn't very convincing since you had one tangtowth with def and hp, while the other only had def. Compare one with HP and Atk taking an ice fang, vs one with Atk and Def if you'd please. (I would do this myself- but I'm at work typing this from a phone lol. So besides a myriad of typoes I'm probably missing, I can't handle a damage calc too well right now.)

That being said, and my mistake being explained, Bisharp is a check to that SPECIFIC arcanine listed above (not a counter, I know); because it cannot setup, and since it has a choice band- if left against that bisharp, being locked into any one of its moves would end in bisharp KO'ing it. But again, I misunderstood the goal and specific rules of this, so once more, sorry man. :p my bad. I think I got it now.

COUNTER- to wash Rotom.

Vileplume
    Ability: Effect Spore (doesn't matter here, I know.)
    Item: Big Root
    Nature:Modest
    EV's: 252 Sp Atk, 152 Sp Def, 100 HP
    Moves: Giga Drain, Moonlight, sleep powder, sludge bomb

Vileplume can switch in on either of Rotom wash's stabs - regain very fair amounts of HP with giga drain, while dealing substantial damage to Rotom, and it can handle stall tactics with will o wisp and protect with moonlight.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Alrighty, first of all, my mistake - I was not taking the part of the OP that says they have to be able to switch in on the previous Pokemon into account. I wrongfully assumed it was a hypothetical 1 on 1 situation where both were thrown out at once, my bad. However, your comparison on the importance of HP vs Def investment sheerly for taking physical hits isn't very convincing since you had one tangtowth with def and hp, while the other only had def. Compare one with HP and Atk taking an ice fang, vs one with Atk and Def if you'd please. (I would do this myself- but I'm at work typing this from a phone lol. So besides a myriad of typoes I'm probably missing, I can't handle a damage calc too well right now.)

The second spread I mentioned is exactly the same as the bolded part of your post (0 HP, 252 Atk, 252 Def). Tangrowth's Attack EVs play no part in how much damage it takes from Ice Fang. If you're interested, here's a calc on Tangrowth without any Defense EVs at all:
    252+ Atk Mold Breaker Mega Gyarados Ice Fang vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Tangrowth: 146-174 (36.1 - 43%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Anyway:

Big Root isn't worth it; Black Sludge provides steady recovery for Poison Pokemon.

Mega Aggron:

-Stealth Rock
    -Heavy Slam
    -Ice Punch
    -Rock Slide
    Nature: Relaxed
    EVs: 252 HP/16 Def/240 SDef
    Item: Aggronite
    Ability: Sturdy

Walls all of Vileplume's offensive moves.

DarkIllumination

The one in the darkness
    Years
  • Aegislash
    ability: stance change
    Item: rocky helmet
    nature:brave
    Evs: 252 attk, 252 def, 4 spdef
    moves: Shadow sneak, sacred sword, king shield, swords dance
    king shield lowers attk and can easily set up swords dance after to ko especially with rocky
    helmet breaking sturdy when hit directly.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Lol this guy. Moonlight is fine recovery. The vileplume counters the Rotom wash, doesn't it? :p that's all I'm concerned about. ^^ And while I appreciate the thought behind giving advice on what works best on what sets, I don't even play singles normally. I'm just here to have a bit of fun in the game~ So without further ado;

Countering Aegislash (Ooo...)

Gliscor
    Ability: Toxic Heal
    Item:Toxic Orb
    Nature: Impish
    EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Def
    Moves:Swords Dance, Earthquake, U turn Substitute

It won't really mind switching into an unboosted Shadow sneak or sacred sword (all the SS attacks) and doesn't fear rocky helmet or kings shield - it can set up a sub or swords dance to outlast and KO aegislash; who lacks recovery.

DarkIllumination

The one in the darkness
    Years
  • Gardevoir
    item: gardevoirite
    ability: pixilate
    nature: modest
    Evs: 252 spattk, 252 speed, 4 spdef
    moves: hyper voice, shadow ball, calm mind, psyshock.

can easily ko with hyper voice and passes through substitude so no stalling her nagging.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • "No stalling her nagging' fukkn lol

Steelix
    Ability: Sturdy
    Nature: Careful
    Item: assault vest
    EVs: 252 Atk 152 Sp Def 100 HP
    Moves: Iron Tail / Gyro Ball, Stone Edge, Earthquake, Fire Fang

It resists both stabs, won't take much from an unboosted shadow ball, or any of those really with assault vest, and Gardevoir won't survive a heavy slam or iron tail or two flat out.

DarkIllumination

The one in the darkness
    Years
  • Blastoise
    Ability:rain dish/mega launcher
    item: Blastoisite
    Evs: 252 spattk, 252 def, 4 hp
    moves: Water pulse, dragon pulse, dark pulse, aura sphere

Steelix moves aren't enough to damage this tank of destruction as it erodes the fodder with
    Its almighty cannons with strength to puncture steel like marshmallow.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Blastoise
    Ability:rain dish/mega launcher
    item: Blastoisite
    Evs: 252 spattk, 252 def, 4 hp
    moves: Water pulse/surf/scald, dragon pulse, dark pulse, aura sphere

Steelix moves aren't enough to damage this tank of destruction as it erodes the fodder with
    Its almighty cannons with strength to puncture steel like marshmallow.

Please don't slash moves in a set. Just pick 4 moves for each set you post.

Anyway:

-Quagsire w/Leftovers
    Nature: Careful
    Ability: Water Absorb
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Defense, 4 Attack
    Moves: Earthquake, Scald, Recover, Toxic

Yes, yes, I know people usually run Unaware. It just needs Water Absorb in this case.

All of Mega Blastoise's moves are a 3HKO at best, and Quag can just stall it out with Toxic+Recover.

Also, I've updated the OP with a list of the Pokemon in Ubers, as well as a damage calculator, and one additional rule.

Polar Spectrum

Years
  • Trevenant
    Ability: Harvest
    Nature: Adamant
    Item: Sitrus Berry
    EV's: 252 Atk 200 HP 52 Def
    Moves: Sunny Day, Horn Leech, Phantom Force, Rock Slide

Trevenant can come in nicely on any attack or a toxic from quagsire, and annihilate with horn leech. Any attempts to stall, which I'm fairly certain quagsire couldn't even attempt anyways, would be met by the ungodly healing of harvesting a sitrus Berry and regaining massive HP from each horn leech. (If it even survived 1)

DarkIllumination

The one in the darkness
    Years
  • Charizard
    ability: solar power/ Drought
    Item: Charizardite
    nature: mild
    moves: flamethrower, solar beam, air slash, dragon pulse

One hit and Trevenant becomes fire wood from flamethrower plus it can't stall anyway and it's to slow to rockslide the charizard Y.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    Charizard
    ability: solar power/ Drought
    Item: Charizardite
    nature: mild
    moves: flamethrower, solar beam, air slash, dragon pulse

One hit and Trevenant becomes fire wood from flamethrower plus it can't stall anyway and it's to slow to rockslide the charizard Y.
    Unforunately, Mega Zard Y isn't quite a counter to Polar Spectrum's Trevenant because it doesn't want to switch into a Rock Slide:
    252 Atk Trevenant Rock Slide vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 360-424 (120.8 - 142.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Anyway, to counter Mega Zard Y:

-Heatran w/Leftovers
    Nature: Calm
    Ability: Flash Fire
    EVs: 248 HP, 252 Sp.Defense, 8 Defense
    Moves: Lava Plume, Earth Power, Will-o-Wisp, Protect

Since your Mega Zard Y lacks Focus Blast, Heatran takes almost nothing from its attacks, and can KO it with repeated Lava Plumes, since it also lacks Roost.

Years
  • Blaziken
    Item:Kings rock
    Docile nature
    Stats:266 HP,234 ATK,147 DEF,197 Sp. ATK,165 Sp. DEF.
    Moves:Blaze kick,Cut,Sky uppercut,Earthquake.
    Ability:Flame Body

Btw,this is my actual Blaziken from my Ruby game.

DarkIllumination

The one in the darkness
    Years
  • I read your rules and remebered that it's switching in.

here:
    Gyrados
    Item:lumberry
    ability: Intimidate
    nature: Adamant
    Evs: 252 attk, 252 speed, 4 def
    moves: waterfall, dragon dance, earthquake, outrage

Gyrados resists lava plume, earth power can't touch it, and the lum berry prevents a burn and earthquake is a one hit ko or two with waterfall.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Trevenant @ Sitrus Berry
    Trait: Harvest
    EVs: 252 HP / 180 Def / 76 Spe
    Impish Nature

- Will-o-Wisp
    - Horn Leech
    - Shadow Claw
    - Protect

Waterfall and Earthquake can't 2HKO this thing even at +1, who can in return spam Will-o-Wisp to get rid of its Lum Berry. If Gyarados uses Outrage, the Sitrus Berry can allow it to rejuvenate its health, and then Harvest combined with Protect kicks in allowing it to recover its health multiple times.

Dark Azelf

☽𖤐☾𓃶𐕣
    Years
    • Seen today
    Talonflame @ Leftovers
    248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Sp.D
    Trait: Gale Wings
    Careful Nature
    - Roost
    - Bulk Up
    - Taunt
    - Brave Bird

Comes in and is able to stat up with relative ease and/or wins with Brave Bird.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

-Rhyperior w/Leftovers
    Ability: Solid Rock
    Nature: Adamant
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Attack, 4 Sp.Defense
    Moves: Rock Slide, Earthquake, Megahorn, Ice Punch

DarkIllumination

The one in the darkness
    Years
  • Dusclops
    Ability: pressure
    Item: leftovers
    nature: Relaxed
    Evs:252 hp, 252 def, 4 spdef
    moves: will-o-wisp, protect, painsplit, toxic

Dusclops tanks all Rhyperior's moves and can recover with painsplit and leftovers
    until toxic or will-o-wisp bring it down.

KorpiklaaniVodka

KID BUU PAWAA
    Years
  • Landorus @ Life Orb
    Trait: Sheer Force
    EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
    Hasty Nature

- Earth Power
    - Knock Off
    - Psychic
    - Hidden Power Ice

Landorus can Knock Off Dusclops's Eviolite and then OHKO physically defensive variants with Earth Power, and it doesn't really mind burn or poison.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today

-Mega Abomasnow w/Abomasite
    Nature: Quiet
    Ability: Snow Warning
    EVs: 252 HP, 252 Sp.Attack, 4 Attack
    Moves: Blizzard, Ice Shard, Giga Drain, Earthquake

Psychic is Lando's best bet, but it only 3HKOs:
    252 SpA Life Orb Sheer Force Landorus Psychic vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Mega Abomasnow: 147-173 (38.2 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO

Then it gets destroyed by Hail boosted Blizzard.

Last edited:

Boilurn

Scald Pokémon
    Years
  • Air Balloon Heatran shuts down Mega-Abomasnow with its 4x resistance to Grass and Ice and pseudo-immunity to Ground.

~ Flamethrower
    ~ Earth Power
    ~ Taunt
    ~ Stealth Rock
    Item: Air Balloon
    Nature: Modest
    EVs: 252 SpA, 4 SpD, 252 Spe

Back